Fantasy Champ.

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm

The score breakdowns are on the adepticon main website. the soft scores were a combination of player judged comp, painting and sportsmanship. IIRC the comp was a 0-25 scale with the player getting one score as well with the lowest and highest dropped then the rest averaged.
Lordgoober

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:57 pm

TheRagingRodian wrote:You'd get armies of all Terminators, with players oblivious as to why a chapter wouldn't risk these rare and precious armored relics in a battle against a skirmishing group of Orks.

You mean like Deathwing?

You'd see Chaos marine armies that didn't have a single straight up bolter carried by any of the troops, which was mistaken as "normal" despite this being the most common armament in these legions.

You mean like the Emperor's Children?

Sure you could do some things with an army list.......but would that really be representative of what your chosen army is?

I can't speak to your empire example, as I'm not a big fantasy person. The other two examples, in my mind, illustrate exactly why comp systems are stupid. The codex (or armybook) tells me what my army is allowed to look like, and if I want to run an all terminator army, that should be my choice. It's not like Deathwing is all that competitive, but it's very fluffy. Comp systems inevitably punish people who have interesting ideas that fall outside the comp overlord's basis. That doesn't make them wrong.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby old coast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Both of you guys are totally off the mark as far as comp goes for this years Fantasy..it's got nothing to do with Theme, its entirely there to level the playing field between books that in some cases are almost 10 years apart so all armies can attempt to compete fairly.
In some past player judged comp..certain players may have weighed theme into comp scores..but that is not the case this year
old coast

Postby old coast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm

darwinn69 wrote:This will be my first time attending Adepticon. Last year how many comp points did the best general's have? I just want to get an idea of what a competitive list should score in order to make it to the top prizes.

If you're strictly shooting for best general in the WFB championships
expect to see WPS scores in the 0-5 category, and bidding 5 battle points for the winning General.
Last edited by old coast on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 pm

thanks for clarifying that for him. he had asked about years past so I pointed towards the website.
Lordgoober

Postby post-human » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 pm

In response to the original post, I think WPS and the 2k points limit is a real hindrence to the WOC. I was thinking about running them in the championships this year. I would say the key is to abandon your comp score and take a bunch of knights. Bid 5 and hope for best general. This might be horrible advice.

In the end I decided on some super cheesy Daemon of Chaos list. It has a comp score of 20 and is still very nails hard with no soft options at all. It does however not have any flamers or fleshounds so it is quitte different from any list I have ever ran before. I might change my mind here and opt for about a comp of 10-14 with a big magic phase.

I am not that into the WPS system but as far it goes for adepticon this year I am quite ready for whatever. I am taking a super nasty list for the 2.999 event and I intend to get the hardcore gaming out of my system there.

If anybody doesnt show up just because of WPS then thats pretty lame. This is the biggest deal in gaming as far as im concerned and I wouldnt miss it for anything.
post-human

Postby old coast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Dude, I want to know what you consider "hard as nails" for DoC with no soft options no flamers or hounds and a 20 WPS...I'm curious because I want to run it!! :shock:
old coast

Postby aussie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Redbeard wrote:
TheRagingRodian wrote:You'd get armies of all Terminators, with players oblivious as to why a chapter wouldn't risk these rare and precious armored relics in a battle against a skirmishing group of Orks.

You mean like Deathwing?

You'd see Chaos marine armies that didn't have a single straight up bolter carried by any of the troops, which was mistaken as "normal" despite this being the most common armament in these legions.

You mean like the Emperor's Children?

Sure you could do some things with an army list.......but would that really be representative of what your chosen army is?

I can't speak to your empire example, as I'm not a big fantasy person. The other two examples, in my mind, illustrate exactly why comp systems are stupid. The codex (or armybook) tells me what my army is allowed to look like, and if I want to run an all terminator army, that should be my choice. It's not like Deathwing is all that competitive, but it's very fluffy. Comp systems inevitably punish people who have interesting ideas that fall outside the comp overlord's basis. That doesn't make them wrong.

See thou in 40k you are judge and they ding you in other ways as in fun to play against and so on... that is the cheese factor and in fact i see it in pretty much in all gamming systems.

I think with this comp system they are trying to balance all the armys so people cant call other's cheese just because they lost, it becomes a major head ache for the judge and so on. And you start to see a better mix of armys not all the big 3 ..... there was alot of dark elves and deamon players last year.

So for the adepticon team i give them a hands up for trying something different.. since adepticon is not just another 2250 tourny... it is the tourny in the states.
"Your honour is your life. Let none dispute it."
Captain Navarre of the Black Templars 4th Crusade.

"2006 best overal - 1850 championship 40k, 2007 best general - 1850 championship 40k" thunder from down under baby
aussie

Postby darwinn69 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 pm

old coast wrote:
darwinn69 wrote:This will be my first time attending Adepticon. Last year how many comp points did the best general's have? I just want to get an idea of what a competitive list should score in order to make it to the top prizes.

If you're strictly shooting for best general in the WFB championships
expect to see WPS scores in the 0-5 category, and bidding 5 battle points for the winning General.

Thats what I initially thought and was going to go for, but then I realized that doing actually hurts your total battle points as the comp score is added directly into that score. To max out on battle points I think I'm going to shoot for about a 21 comp score.

As far as even using comp, with fantisy it's unfortunatly a fact of life since the core rule books are not balaced at all. I personally like the ETC system better as it just flat out outlaws the most broken stuff and pevents spamming while encouraging magic light(er) armies. This whole point system seems a little convoluted and doesn't really stop the really broken armies from putting what they need to on the board.
darwinn69

Postby aussie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:51 am

agree to a point darwinn... it dont stops you but hinders you with the back up. your not going to see a greater deamon and flesh hounds and 2 units of flamers in the overall winner they take too much of a ding. But you are going to see one geater deamon and one of the next.
"Your honour is your life. Let none dispute it."
Captain Navarre of the Black Templars 4th Crusade.

"2006 best overal - 1850 championship 40k, 2007 best general - 1850 championship 40k" thunder from down under baby
aussie

Previous

Return to AdeptiCon 2010