Army Composition Scores for Team Tourny

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Army Composition Scores for Team Tourny

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 pm

I was having a read through the rules for the 2010 Team Tournament and was puzzled. Why is there no middle of the road score for Army composition? It's simply 0 - 3 points.

Why isn't there a system like this:

0: Totally Abusive
1: Made with WAAC in mind but avoids loopholes
2: Highly competitive, but lacked some of the cheesier units
3: Very competitive tournament force which was fun to play

I know it probably won't be changed this year, so writing this has no affect on the decision of the AdeptiCon board, but I am simply asking for clarifcation of why a system such as this cannot be put into place.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:05 pm

No, no - suggestions like this are good whenever they come in. You'd always be a year behind if you waited for the rules to be published!

I'll add it to the list of items to discuss as we move forward. All rules are subject to change through 02/01/2010. The TT rules will mostly likely see a handful of changes/edits around the time the Tyranid Codex is released and some minor clarity/textual corrections from time to time.

The Clarifications section will grow as additional clarifications are required/brought to light.

Matt
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby YeezyMozart » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:06 pm

I think this is a great Idea and it really will range out the armies better.
YeezyMozart

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 pm

My reasoning behind suggesting something like this is because not every list falls into the categories of "This was horrible" or "This was great".

Some lists like 2 Land Raiders with Min troops is a 0 list to me, it's WAAC and but is not loophole seeking such as nob bikerz in the sense that who needs 4 AV 14 vehicles in 2 1000 point lists? This deserves a 1 because of those.

But other's like an Ork swarm, (Which I did just as bad against) is NOT cheesy and is simply a highly competitive tournament force. I would have given it a 3 because of it's non-loophole seeking nature. It was fun to play against, it just beat me.

This also allows a little more flexibility in critiquing other people, not everything is Black or White, there are Grey areas in terms of list composition so I think a 0-3 but not just the two number system would work really well.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Elthniar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:11 pm

@AdeptusBrewCityJoe

I couldn't agree with you more. There certainly are grey areas and I also think this would differentiate the scoring a bit more too. Typically at tournaments where composition is part of the score, you get a large number of people with full points. Personally, I am more inclined to give someone the full 3 if they are not seeking to use a "loophole". This is, after all, a tournament and I expect people to bring competitive lists. Another factor for me personally is how the person plays the game too. If they are friendly, nice, and reasonable, and I can tell they are there to have a good time first and foremost, then I would give them a 3 even if they had a nob biker or land raider spam list. If the system was changed, however, this would probably warrant a 2. The person is there to have fun and has a competitive list, but perhaps it is a bit over the top. If the person is being a real jerk and clearly cares only about winning, I would give them a 0 with the current system, but probably a 1 if the new idea was used.

Just my 2 cents.
Elthniar

Re: Army Composition Scores for Team Tourny

Postby Rhysk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 pm

AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:I was having a read through the rules for the 2010 Team Tournament and was puzzled. Why is there no middle of the road score for Army composition? It's simply 0 - 3 points.

Why isn't there a system like this:

0: Totally Abusive
1: Made with WAAC in mind but avoids loopholes
2: Highly competitive, but lacked some of the cheesier units
3: Very competitive tournament force which was fun to play

I know it probably won't be changed this year, so writing this has no affect on the decision of the AdeptiCon board, but I am simply asking for clarifcation of why a system such as this cannot be put into place.

The scoring is drastically stark in an attempt to mitigate “punitive” comp scoring in the tournament. No system that includes comp will ever totally eliminate this behavior but the TT organizers currently believe that this system helps mitigate the behavior.

We make the choice a stark difference with this thought in mind; if you make the choice that stark those that get a “0” will be more likely to have earned it than to have been “dinged” for successful performance.
In our opinion the purpose of sportsmanship/comp is to help avoid unchecked confrontations at the gaming table and encourage reasonable behavior. You aren’t going to invite every person you play in a tournament to join your gaming group, but you would expect to not have to fight with an opponent during a tournament as well. In a tournament where there are no “fights” most games are amicable and everyone gets top notch or near top notch scores the system has done its job.

Regards,

Chris
Rhysk

Return to AdeptiCon 2010