Young bloods What went wrong?

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Young bloods What went wrong?

Postby Mixingpot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Hello everyone i participated in the young bloods tournament and i feel that there were some unfair advantages given to "certain" players. I have discussed this with many people at my local GW and there have been different views on this subject.

Once i got to the room i saw that there was a group of kids talking to the guy running the event, not that theres anything wrong with talking to the guy but it seemed they knew him were everyone else just met the guy. after the first round of the tourny i noticed that they got to see everyones scoring on the computer and i heard several comments like "i dont wanna play him" or "i wanna play him next round". some people dont think it is an advantage to know who you play against before everyone else does but other including me think that it gives you more time to think of a strategy or talk to others about how to counter their army.

Another problem i had with the tourny was the last minute change of painting requirements. on the event rules it said that no fundamental changes would be made after 3/1/2009 i asked some friends in other tournaments and i heard a rumor that it was because of 1 gladiator player that didn't get his stuff painted in time. the reason i point this out is because out of the group of kids only 1 person had his stuff painted. and the 2 other kids had only 5 or 6 models painted out of their whole army. in the final results that were posted online these 2 kids got a 3 and 5 for their painting result were i believe it should be a 0 for both. just a s a side note they also got an "Army" score of 11 and 12 i dont know it it ment the overal result of the army or the look of their army but if it has to do with painting i dont believe this should be this high either.

in the last block of whiny text you have to read i just want to point out that the Best overall winner is was the brother of the judge or person running the event. and when i talked to an opponent of the Best Overall winner he told me that when ever i a close call would pop up and a judge was called over the judge always gave the call to his brother in the scenarios that he told me about he had he calls most of the time for example

the player had 2 of his monoliths right next to the objective and since you cant go within 1 inch of a enemy model with out being in closecombat he would be controlling the objective with a nearby warrior squad. the judges bother then turbo boosted a waveserpent with direavegers next to the object and got as close as possible to the monolith when the game was over the waveserpent was about 1 or 1 1/2 inch out of range to contest. the judge was when called over to double check and told them to dice off which is an ok way to solve problems... but if you measure range and your not in, then your not in theres no arguing. its not like i can measure my brightlance be 1 inch off and say its to close to call

now you can be done reading my rant but i spent such a long time getting ready for this tourny and it pissed me off to see this happen
"Brian what will kill us all?"
"MAGMA"
Mixingpot

Postby Grippandosaurus-rex » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 am

I am "the guy" who ran the tournament. My name is Tony Grippando. I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time, what was your name? Lets clear a few things up...

Once i got to the room i saw that there was a group of kids talking to the guy running the event, not that theres anything wrong with talking to the guy but it seemed they knew him were everyone else just met the guy. after the first round of the tourny i noticed that they got to see everyones scoring on the computer and i heard several comments like "i dont wanna play him" or "i wanna play him next round". some people dont think it is an advantage to know who you play against before everyone else does but other including me think that it gives you more time to think of a strategy or talk to others about how to counter their army.

It's true, I did know some of the players in the tournament, and it's true, my brother was in the tournament. First of all, I didn't tell ANYBODY who they were playing against. You can ask any of the players in the tournament. If you thought this was an issue than, you could have brought it up to me and I could have assured you that no unfair advantages were being given.

Another problem i had with the tourny was the last minute change of painting requirements. on the event rules it said that no fundamental changes would be made after 3/1/2009 i asked some friends in other tournaments and i heard a rumor that it was because of 1 gladiator player that didn't get his stuff painted in time. the reason i point this out is because out of the group of kids only 1 person had his stuff painted. and the 2 other kids had only 5 or 6 models painted out of their whole army. in the final results that were posted online these 2 kids got a 3 and 5 for their painting result were i believe it should be a 0 for both. just a s a side note they also got an "Army" score of 11 and 12 i dont know it it ment the overal result of the army or the look of their army but if it has to do with painting i dont believe this should be this high either.

The results online are confusing and all the numbers are not there, but the overall score is correct. PM me if you want and i can send you the complete results.
The rules were not changed at all It never said online that the army HAD to be painted, only that it would be reflected in your score. I'm not sure exactly which armies you are talking about, but the painting was on a scale of 1-10. i awarded one point for fully built, one point for primed, one point for some painted, and another point for fully painted. After that it was judged by me and another judge to decide their painting score. Also, players received one point for every favorite army vote they got.

in the last block of whiny text you have to read i just want to point out that the Best overall winner is was the brother of the judge or person running the event. and when i talked to an opponent of the Best Overall winner he told me that when ever i a close call would pop up and a judge was called over the judge always gave the call to his brother in the scenarios that he told me about he had he calls most of the time for example

I did not give my brother any advantages, he is just a good player and managed to win the tournament by himself. FYI I won the youngbloods tournament in 2005. I must have trained him well. He also plays with our team every week, and he used the same army on saturday so he was prepared on how to use it. To say I would help him win is insulting to both of us. Did you end up playing against him?
Only ONE call was made all day including my brother, and i did not give any body an advantage. A roll of is a roll off, the player would not have been upset if he won the roll, thats how it works. Let me explain my ruling...

he player had 2 of his monoliths right next to the objective and since you cant go within 1 inch of a enemy model with out being in closecombat he would be controlling the objective with a nearby warrior squad. the judges bother then turbo boosted a waveserpent with direavegers next to the object and got as close as possible to the monolith when the game was over the waveserpent was about 1 or 1 1/2 inch out of range to contest. the judge was when called over to double check and told them to dice off which is an ok way to solve problems... but if you measure range and your not in, then your not in theres no arguing. its not like i can measure my brightlance be 1 inch off and say its to close to call

Were you there to see the situation? it was not an inch away, it was right on the line. Also, the players both told me that the models had been bumped while they were trying to find the measurements, and neither could agree on the original position. So me, being in a situation where there is no right answer, do what the book instructs players to do when they are undecided. Roll off for it. Unfortunately for the necron player, he lost the roll. I don't blame him for being upset about that, but complaining after he agreed it was a fair call? Thats called poor sportsmanship. It could have gone a totally different way. I repeat this was the ONLY time that i made a decision including my brother, and even this decision was a completely fair 50-50 chance when it was impossible to know what the right call was.

now you can be done reading my rant but i spent such a long time getting ready for this tourny and it pissed me off to see this happen

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy the tournament. You could have talked to me at the tournament to address these issues if you thought there was a problem.
I think it is very unfair to me and to my brother that you would accuse us of cheating because he won the tournament. Should he not be allowed to play because he is a competitive player? People will always be jealous of good players.
It is also unfair to me because of the amount of time i put into getting this event ready and running it. If you had a concern, I would have appreciated your feedback at Adepticon.
My question is: is the intent of your post to rant about not winning, or to bring up serious issues/concerns that you thought you saw in the tournament? Because none of the statements you made accusing me are true.
If you ain't first, you're last
Grippandosaurus-rex

Postby Mixingpot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm

to answer your question i only brought this up so i wont happen again next year i PLANNED on doing young bloods next year but will probably be doing the team tourny or other events. and if you think i posted this because i didnt win and im a horrible player and jealous of your brother you should think again. im very happy with how i did in a tournament and just wanted to voice my concern

The results online are confusing and all the numbers are not there, but the overall score is correct. PM me if you want and i can send you the complete results.
The rules were not changed at all It never said online that the army HAD to be painted, only that it would be reflected in your score. I'm not sure exactly which armies you are talking about, but the painting was on a scale of 1-10. i awarded one point for fully built, one point for primed, one point for some painted, and another point for fully painted. After that it was judged by me and another judge to decide their painting score. Also, players received one point for every favorite army vote they got.

the armies i am talking about werent event primed and out of the army only 1 or 2 models would be painted.

I did not give my brother any advantages, he is just a good player and managed to win the tournament by himself. FYI I won the youngbloods tournament in 2005. I must have trained him well. He also plays with our team every week, and he used the same army on saturday so he was prepared on how to use it. To say I would help him win is insulting to both of us. Did you end up playing against him?
Only ONE call was made all day including my brother, and i did not give any body an advantage. A roll of is a roll off, the player would not have been upset if he won the roll, thats how it works. Let me explain my ruling...

um no i didnt play against your brother in the tourny but i have played him in a young bloods tourny before at the bunker which was also judged by you and your brother also won first place. also other rewards were given to the other kids in your group. and im not telling people this for spite of your brother and you i just wanted to know why this happened and if its going to be like this next year
[/b]
"Brian what will kill us all?"
"MAGMA"
Mixingpot

Postby Grippandosaurus-rex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 pm

You still haven't told me your name.

and if you think i posted this because i didnt win and im a horrible player and jealous of your brother you should think again. im very happy with how i did in a tournament and just wanted to voice my concern

Well, yea, you kind of are being jealous because you're complaining that he did win. Whats your concern, that i rigged the tournament so he would win? Because thats not true at all.

um no i didnt play against your brother in the tourny but i have played him in a young bloods tourny before at the bunker which was also judged by you and your brother also won first place.

Now you're suggesting that I rigged EVERY tournament so he could win?? You're being ridiculous.
I'm willing to bet he beat you in that tournament too. If anything, you're disproving your own argument because obviously if he can win one tournament, he can win another.

also other rewards were given to the other kids in your group.

That's because everybody that plays in the tournaments at the bunker is part of that group. Who else am I going to give the awards to. Sorry if your ego was hurt because you didn't earn an award.

and im not telling people this for spite of your brother and you i just wanted to know why this happened and if its going to be like this next year

Why what happened? I ran a perfectly legit tournament. EVERYONE else I talked to about it on the day of or since then said they had a good time.

next year i PLANNED on doing young bloods next year but will probably be doing the team tourny or other events.

Ok, if you're bitter about not winning, don't come back. You can hide behind the internet and make accusations about me that aren't anywhere close to being true, at all. I don't even know who you are. If you want to be mature and talk about this, we can. shoot me a PM.
If you ain't first, you're last
Grippandosaurus-rex

Postby Matthias » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:55 pm

(Young) Ladies and Gentlemen - in the interest of keeping this civil...

If there are personal issues involving how this event was run - please take it to PMs.

Concerns, issues, problems with how the event was run should be directed to: adepticon09@gmail.com.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Return to AdeptiCon 2009