Theme Names

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Theme Names

Postby Mike_Honcho » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This is our team's first year traveling to AdeptiCon. We are curious to see what people think of various team names with regards to their army. Do people just use regular gaming group names, funky names playing off their armies or other ideas?

We are playing orks with a combination of nob bikers for two armies and horde orks on foot for the other two. Seeing as orks are all about da dakka and this is our first year, we registered as Dakka Detachment One. Any thoughts about army, team name and theme combinations?

-MH
Mike_Honcho

Postby Chubs » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:43 am

I've seen both local crew names and wacky ones we like them all. "B.L.O.I.D." had a great article in white dwarf a few years back - thier name with ther them of thier army. I think "300+"

But then again, other team just pick names that suit them - "Checkmate Hobbies" was a team winner 2 years back, but they played a mounted guard army... but the name suited them.

I'm presonally fond the funny names- we piss f'in excellence, two tau one cup, and the every famous Team T-N-A.

Dakka dakka one eh? first year? Really?
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Mike_Honcho » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:54 am

Alas, I dropped getting White Dwarf years ago. It just became too much of a sales catalog and not enough content. I missed those articles.

Yep, this is the first time coming to AdeptiCon. One of my teammates saw an ad on another forum last summer and talked us into going. I had never heard of it before. For us driving from Wyoming is quite the trip for us, but we decided 'what the hell, let's just do it'. As far as the name, he brought it up at one of our gaming nights and we liked it. It seemed to have a nice ring to it with our army comp.
Mike_Honcho

Postby Chubs » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:06 am

I suspect dakka dakka detachment one does have a nice ring...

Agreeed that WD is a total sales catelog, but still read it most of the time. Lacking serious tactics though.

Best of luck this year - my team tought about 4 bikers nobs list as playable - defiantly tough.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Janthkin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Mike_Honcho wrote:Alas, I dropped getting White Dwarf years ago. It just became too much of a sales catalog and not enough content. I missed those articles.

Yep, this is the first time coming to AdeptiCon. One of my teammates saw an ad on another forum last summer and talked us into going. I had never heard of it before. For us driving from Wyoming is quite the trip for us, but we decided 'what the hell, let's just do it'. As far as the name, he brought it up at one of our gaming nights and we liked it. It seemed to have a nice ring to it with our army comp.

Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. Which is why my team (formed from members of www.dakkadakka.com) has been using it for years now.

This is a tad awkward.
Janthkin

Postby Centurian99 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah, we've been using that name since 2006...

And before you ask, I believe that DD2 is taken as well.
Centurian99

Postby Mike_Honcho » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Wow - sorry. I had no idea. I will have to talk with our teammate who brainstormed this one. :?

At this point though, as far as I know - we have our team registered under that name. We have shirts, a display board and everything else setup already.

Not to rock the boat, but I'm guessing each year it is first come first serve with regards to team names. Maybe you can partner with us as DD3.
Mike_Honcho

Postby Centurian99 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:44 pm

While I feel bad for you...we have been using it for four years now, and have done relatively well under that name (headhunters, best team tacticans, and close but not quite). And we've already got shirts, etc.
Centurian99

Postby Mike_Honcho » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Eh - I guess. Like I said, we already registered it first thing when registration first opened. I will have to check to see if our team is willing to change. Otherwise you are SOL until next year.
Mike_Honcho

Postby Turtle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:35 am

wow steals a name and then says too bad....just wow
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:01 am

I guess first come first serve on the name is right. Only way to be fair. BIll and the boys had plenty of time to practice what they preach and register their team especially as seeing that some of them are helping to run events this year. A name can't be reserved and registered at a later date, what if that team fell apart and never signed up to play?

It's funny because I'm looking at it from the outside, but they snagged the name.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 am

They've got the number 1 spot in registration also. I hguess we all assumed that was Bill's team up there. I wonder why none of them ever noticed or didn't any of you check it out? I bet everyone thought someone else on the team registered it or no one ever looked. How interesting. Mr. Honcho I say keep the name and screw the elitist snobs who think they own the copyright to that team name. Fight the power!!

On a side note I have just noticed how many Ork names are on that list. I think we'll go with 4 Thuderfire Cannons to deny cover saves and kill hordes and 40 Assault Terminators to kill Nob Bikers. The rest of our armies will be named characters (Pedro, Vulkan, etx..) to get the benifits and troops. That should handle the Ork armies.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Uh - wow. That's kinda rough. I guess no team name is safe. First come first serve seems right though. What else can you really do?
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Huoshini » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Well ain't that some shite.
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby muwhe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Mike_Honcho,

Please check your pm's.

Locking thread as this will be resolved offline.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Return to AdeptiCon 2009