Gladiator Primer Missions Now Available

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Gladiator Primer Missions Now Available

Postby Centurian99 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Centurian99

Postby Janthkin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Very interesting!

Some comments from a quick reading:
Mission 1:
Tertiary Objective:
Kill the enemy commander (the most expensive HQ model). If all HQ models have identical point costs, have your opponent nominate one model from their HQs to be the commander. This model cannot be a dedicated transport,

As written, it is not clear that "This model cannot be a dedicated transport," is always applicable; it may apply only to the "opponent nominate(s) one model." Easy fix - "Kill the enemy commander (the most expensive non-vehicle HQ model)."

How was "full game turn" defined? A total of 6 complete, consecutive phases? Just curious if the following would count:
a) Unit Moves near to the center, remains there for the rest of the owning player's turn, the opposing player's turn, and the owning player's next Movement phase, then Runs/Assaults away from the objective.
b) As a), but unit Runs near to the center, then Assaults away the following player turn.
c) Unit Moves to the objective, and Shoots a contesting unit to death during the Shooting phase. Unit remains there for the rest of the owning player's turn, the opposing player's turn, and the owning player's next Movement phase, then Runs/Assaults away from the objective.
d) Unit wins an assault during opposing player's Assault phase, and Consolidates to the objective. Unit remains there for the entire owning player's turn, and is Charged in the opposing player's Assault phase. Unit wins, and chargers are destroyed/run off.
e) As d), but when the opposing player Assaults, the Unit is pulled off the objective. Unit consolidates back onto the objective post-assault.

Mission 3:
Dedicated transports are worth 0 kill points, and all models in a force org selection must be killed to receive the kill point for that selection.

Does this mean that dedicated transports must be killed to receive the kill points for the unit they were purchased for?

I like the free Vortex grenade.

Anyone got stories to share? I'm curious how the various FW silliness performed, and how Tyranids came out on top.

*edit: What was the range for the Vortex grenade? When was the "models in contact are removed from the game" resolved on subsequent turns?
Janthkin

good missions

Postby Spacecurves » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I love the missions. The eclipse rule is a good twist on a classic mechanic. I think there should be a modifier for killpoints for superheavies in all the missions. An army with a reaver and two space marine squads can easily win killpoints in one shooting phase by destroying 5 enemy units.

I would also highly recommend that you add to the killpoint objectives, "If only one player has models on the table at the end of the game, they automatically win this objective". This will solve a lot of problems in one simple ruling.

The free vortex grenade, and the carrot for not using it, are inspired, great work! I hope this scenario is used on the big day. Same for the tears in reality rule.

I'm even more excited now about the gladiator, great work as always adepticon team.
Spacecurves

Postby Turtle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:02 pm

I have a question about the 2nd mission. Can anything that chooses to deep strike via the mission special rules use teleport homers, locator beacons, chaos icons, or anything like that to prevent the scatter but still assault. Would they deep strike in use an icon and roll the dice to see if the warp kills them, or would they always use the 2d6 scatter?
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Centurian99 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Turtle wrote:I have a question about the 2nd mission. Can anything that chooses to deep strike via the mission special rules use teleport homers, locator beacons, chaos icons, or anything like that to prevent the scatter but still assault. Would they deep strike in use an icon and roll the dice to see if the warp kills them, or would they always use the 2d6 scatter?

The way we played it was that stuff that lets you DS accurately still works, but you still have to roll the 2d6. So there's always a chance of getting lost in the warp.
Centurian99

Postby Green Blow Fly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 am

If you use the vortex grenade you can't win first place.

G
Death is a door to a new beginning - take my hand and I will lead you there...
http://greenblowfly.blogspot.com
Green Blow Fly

Postby Centurian99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:51 am

Green Blow Fly wrote:If you use the vortex grenade you can't win first place.

G

I won the Gladiator last year without getting full battle (well, 1 less than full battle).
Centurian99

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Bill what are the rules for a models size. I know a model must be based on the base that it comes with, but what about height. I can envision Chaos Daemon Princes small enough to be completely blocked by Oblits and possibly troops. Will you allow for the downsizing of models to fit the new True Line Of Site (TLOS) rules in 5th edition? Or are you going to state an arbitrary rule where you get to decide if a model is to small for it's stature in the game (my preference actually).
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Centurian99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:Bill what are the rules for a models size. I know a model must be based on the base that it comes with, but what about height. I can envision Chaos Daemon Princes small enough to be completely blocked by Oblits and possibly troops. Will you allow for the downsizing of models to fit the new True Line Of Site (TLOS) rules in 5th edition? Or are you going to state an arbitrary rule where you get to decide if a model is to small for it's stature in the game (my preference actually).

Falls under the "Don't Be a Dick" rule in the INAT FAQ.

GEN.01 – Q: Can players convert their models in order to gain an advantage in the game? For example, making tiny models to hide behind scenery, longer barrels on their vehicles to increase the range of their weapons, etc?
A: Players may only convert their models for aesthetic purposes. Any players, in the opinion of the Tournament organizers/judges, that have converted their models specifically to gain a gameplay advantage may be penalized up to, and including ejection from the tournament [clarification].
Ref: RB.22A.02
Centurian99

Postby Janthkin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:Bill what are the rules for a models size. I know a model must be based on the base that it comes with, but what about height. I can envision Chaos Daemon Princes small enough to be completely blocked by Oblits and possibly troops. Will you allow for the downsizing of models to fit the new True Line Of Site (TLOS) rules in 5th edition? Or are you going to state an arbitrary rule where you get to decide if a model is to small for it's stature in the game (my preference actually).

From the INAT, page 3:
GEN.01 – Q: Can players convert their models in order to gain an advantage in the game? For example, making tiny models to hide behind scenery, longer barrels on their vehicles to increase the range of their weapons, etc?
A: Players may only convert their models for aesthetic purposes. Any players, in the opinion of the Tournament organizers/judges, that have converted their models specifically to gain a gameplay advantage may be penalized up to, and including ejection from the tournament

*edit: Curse your speedy fingers, Bill!
Janthkin

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 am

Hey Guys,

If you anyone has some time, please review the missions and provide any additional feedback. Bill and I are collecting all of the feedback for final mission design. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Talk to ya' later,
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 am

I would sugggest a scenario that doesn't give the win to 6 Ork troop lists. Find a way to penalize 200 model lists. So far the Kill Points and objective grabbing objectives are all in favor of Ork Horde lists. Along with trying to kill an HQ which is attached to 30-man mobz. Have a scenario, either primary, secondary or tertiary which hurts the Horde lists. If there are tough objectives for elite armies, expensive units, etc.. make one to work against Horde lists. Possibly an objective which is held by a single model with the number of wounds counting as the winner. Claim this point and the side with the biggest wound model withion 6 inches the the winner, no contesting. Armor 10-11 count as 5 wounds, armor 12-13 counts as 7 wounds, armor 14 counts as 9 wounds. Structure points count as 3 wounds each (no armor bonus). Something that hurts Ork horde.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby flatlanderboss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Can you teleport a unit with transport capacity with all it's transported goodness within it?

I know if you say yes, if it "dissappears" all it's contents do as well.
"How many of the armies here were painted by you guys?"

"Enough."
flatlanderboss

Postby Centurian99 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:45 pm

flatlanderboss wrote:Can you teleport a unit with transport capacity with all it's transported goodness within it?

I know if you say yes, if it "dissappears" all it's contents do as well.

We allowed it in the primer, although as you said, if it disappears, all its contents do as well.
Centurian99

Postby flatlanderboss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Sweet!

I can give my enemy 66% of my points and 50% of my kill points on a 1:6 chance.

I'm all over that.
"How many of the armies here were painted by you guys?"

"Enough."
flatlanderboss

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2009