Bell of Lost Souls .. Gladiator Thread.

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Bell of Lost Souls .. Gladiator Thread.

Postby muwhe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:07 am

They got a nice discussion thread .. running on the Gladiator and super builds.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/200 ... nt-5867900
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:50 pm

I've playtested for two days and I am quite amazed with the results. I have not seen the destructive power of a Reaver Titan, ever. I mean I thought the weapons were pretty good on paper, in reality it proved a hundred times more powerful. With 3 Laser Blasters the Reaver was able to destroy 3 units every turn with firepower. Marine assault terminators and Seer Councils managed to survive a single gun's firing, but not much more than that. A Hierophant took 9 wounds everytime, saving only 1-2 and then dieing easily the next turn. Ork mobz lost 20-24 Boyz from a single gun (the Reaver has 3 guns) and thus lost virtually all their scoring units in 2 rounds. Angrrath and the Hierophant could take down the Reaver in close combat, but getting to close combat was a problem when the Reaver player made it so. Shields of marine bodies couldn't stop either of them, but they did allow the Reaver the needed 2 turns of shooting to kill them both.

Angrrath became more useless when I added a 2nd unit with mystics. One Elite Inquisitor with mystics was joined with an HQ Inquisitor with mystics. This allowed a unit of mystics on either side of the Reaver. Angrrath could deep strike within turn 2 assault range and reasonably expect to get hammered by the Reaver because of the mystics. If Angrrath deep struck away from the mystics, he invariably would suffer two rounds of shooting from the Reaver and die.

Angrrath and the Hierophant were the biggest threats to the Reaver. Nothing else could stand up to it before 3-9 str D, 5 inch templates finished them off. Mystics make Angrrath less of a threat (two units on either side of the Reaver). The only time Angrrath made it through to close combat was when he was combined with Fateweaver. The first time they didn't come in with the first wave so it didn't work, but the next two times they did come in together. The Hierophant is a little trickier to deal with because you will have to sacrifice a few large units to keep the big Bug off the Reaver for 2 turns.

2009 is looking to be the year of the expensive FW models.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Centurian99 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Quite possibly. No reavers showed up at the Gladiator Primer today, but there was a half-decent mix of other super-heavvies and gargantuan creatures. The winner was a Tyranid army without any superheavies, second place went to a horde ork army (I think), and I think third place went to the army with a flyer.

The missions used should be up on AWC as soon as I send PDFs to Matthias and he gets a chance to upload them.

B
Centurian99

Postby flatlanderboss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

A goff KlawStompa Gargaunt would be almost instant death to a Reaver. Especially if a KFF Big Mek were mounted on it.

Or one of those stupid "Rok N Rolla" Gargaunts...if allowed (still pending that decision from what I hear).

Also, since FW now makes a Reaver, it will be finally fair of us to cry "foul" if someone tries to sneak in one of those crappy Armor Cast Reavers and tries to use the super cool rules. [or so I'd hope]
"How many of the armies here were painted by you guys?"

"Enough."
flatlanderboss

Postby sapper79 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

No offence but not everyone can afford a a forgeworld reaver while the armorcast is much more affordable and able to be done. There is nothing out there that says you have to use forgeworld models. And as such I know a couple people who plan on using armorcast models in thier gladiator force. like the rules state it aint about whats pretty but whats killy that matters. And as long as its WYSYWG who cares.
When life gets tough blow shit up!
sapper79

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:59 pm

flatlanderboss wrote:A goff KlawStompa Gargaunt would be almost instant death to a Reaver. Especially if a KFF Big Mek were mounted on it.

Or one of those stupid "Rok N Rolla" Gargaunts...if allowed (still pending that decision from what I hear).

Also, since FW now makes a Reaver, it will be finally fair of us to cry "foul" if someone tries to sneak in one of those crappy Armor Cast Reavers and tries to use the super cool rules. [or so I'd hope]

Doesn't strength D ignore the cover save from the KFF?

And on the other point since whining is not allowed at the Gladiator I'd expect to see plenty of Armorcast Reavers. Hell if I had one I'd bring it.
Brian

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm not as convinced with the reaver as I once was. I've learned that it can't target units within 12" of itself which makes a big unit of Assault terminators very threatening.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby sapper79 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 am

where did u get that idea? It can target things at 1 inch away.... just cant with its carapace mounted weps.. arm weps are still gtg though
When life gets tough blow shit up!
sapper79

Return to AdeptiCon 2009