Combat Patrol

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Combat Patrol

Postby hams » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Can anyone tell me a little about the combat patrol event? Does it use scenarios?

According to the rules, 1 Troop is required. Practically speaking, is 1 enough or do I really need 2?

Can anyone give me some highlights about how the event ran last year?

thanks.
hams

Re: Combat Patrol

Postby knitemare » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:20 pm

hams wrote:Can anyone tell me a little about the combat patrol event? Does it use scenarios?

According to the rules, 1 Troop is required. Practically speaking, is 1 enough or do I really need 2?

Can anyone give me some highlights about how the event ran last year?

thanks.

It is based off of the Combat Patrol scenario in the main rulebook (or minibook).

Here are the rules if you don't have the book: http://darin.times.lv/C_P.pdf
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby shadedragon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:12 pm

I ran the event last year. I will be running it very similarly this year. Let me gather some of my old info and get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Postby shadedragon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 am

So here's the skinny, without giving too much away :)

You can find the rules at the following address:

http://www.adepticon.org/09rules/0940Kcp.html

Like I said, I ran the event last year. We had approx 20 people (I believe there were 24 signed up, but there were some additions/extractions at the last minute).

If I remember correctly, Eldar won.

To answer your question, practically 1 troop might be enough, but 2 or even would be better with the change to 5th edition rules.

If you have specific questions, other than what the scenarios will be ( :twisted: ) feel free to pm me directly.
Thanks
Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Additional Questions

Postby hams » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Were there scenarios or just standard games for last year? And for this year, are there scenarios or just the standard games? (assuming your willing to say)

Also to add, what was terrain like? lots of it, minimal, etc?

With regard to scoring. Looking at last years scores, it seems like there must have been other ways to get points rather just the overall outcome of the game. Can you describe this.

thanks.
hams

Postby shadedragon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

Last year scenarios were pretty standard as far as Combat Patrol goes. They will stay the same for this year, but I might change them a bit (either 2-tier or 3-tier scenarios) to account for ties and make things a little more clear cut as far as overall results.

There will DEFINITELY be scenarios, and NOT just standard Combat Patrol beat-your-opponent-with-a-big-stick kind of games :)

Terrain was avarage... Those of you who have played in Adepticon games (any tourney setting) know what to expect. The terrain was obviously scaled down for a 4'x4' table.

There were not many chances to get "extra" points last year, but that should improve this year. If I remember correctly, there were a few people who went 3-0 so it came down to other areas than just overall army prowess. There were a plethora of extremely well painted armies, so keep that in mind. This is NOT your usual local store setting. It is, in fact very much an Adepticon setting... Only the best in all areas will rise to the top.

Thanks
Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Examples

Postby hams » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Do you have an examples from the previous years that you could post? I'm completely new to things. I'd like to try a few practice games with something that might be similar to what happens at adepticon.

thanks.
hams

Postby shadedragon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 am

Actually I cannot post those since they are too big. I know the Council has posted past scenarios and although they are NOT Combat Patrol, the format is similar. Maybe take a look in the Adepticon past coverage section.
Thanks
Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Combat Patrol is good

Postby Spacecurves » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey there, I recommend the combat patrol tourney. It's a fun way to play in a tournament without having to assemble a larger force. Also, the tactics and unit interactions are very different at that scale so its fun to learn a "new game."

I was fortunate enough to win last year with DARK eldar. Many slaves were taken and a good time was had by all.
Spacecurves

Postby Krak_kirby » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Were the prizes cool? Also, how many slots total in this tournament?
Krak_kirby

Postby shadedragon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 am

Prizes were excellent (especially for a free event last year!), I honestly don't remember exactly what was given out.
I believe there are 25 or so slots for this year (Rich, can you give us an exact number since I honestly don't remember what we decided :)). We had 20 people signed up last year, but only 16 showed up.

Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Postby RichN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 am

16 tickets remain available for Combat Patrol - IIRC, we started with 20.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby crashwell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Cal,

Did you intentionally not use the "no Ordnance" rule from the 4th Edition Combat Patrol ruleset?

Or ... am I imagining that that rule existed? Maybe I saw it in a later White Dwarf. For the life of me - I can't find my 4th Edition rulebook.
Be well,

Dave
crashwell

Postby RichN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Ticket update: 40 tickets are available for Combat Patrol, 24 have already sold. Looks like CP is going to be a sizable event this year.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby SmokWawelski » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I cannot recall the "no ordnance" rule... Perhaps the "armor 33" rule makes it impossible to field one? I suppose you could take an Earth-Shaker platform or something if you wish, but would you? :?
SmokWawelski

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2009