dull coat

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

dull coat

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Hey guys,

so been working on a big metal army lately and it has unfortunately reminded me of the necessity of a strong finish coat to prevent chippings. I usually use army painters matt finish but that has seemed weak on the last batch of models.

do people have favorite brands? recommendations? I am leaning towards testors, they come in much smaller cans though, but worth the price hike?
BostonNazgul

Re: dull coat

Postby tulkasulmar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am

I've only used Testors Dullcote on all my models. Have a whole army of metal Tallarns, Grey Knights/Inquisition and Demons that I have coated with Testors Dullcote. Still have a lot of chipping on the models after hitting the tables. I'm not sure if there is anything out there that can protect painted metal models from chipping. After every other Tournament, or 6+ games, I have about 50 or so painted metal models that have chips on them. I would spend a day to fix the chips. Have yet to go through my Tallarn and Demon Armies to fix chipped paint. Just too busy to fix them. Now have another metal army I am painting up, Adepta Sororitas. Love the metal models, just do not like all the repair needed on the models.

So far my Grey Knight/Inquisition metal models are fairing better.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Nightspawn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 am

One of the main causes of paint coming off is the foam that all GW cases have in them. As you put them in and take them out it will eventually rub paint off sections of metal models. Try a different carrying case or foam insert. I use a fishing tackle box with removable trays. I can section off each row of the trays to hold models.

Here's a little trick I have used over the years. After you touch up the paint and before or after you use Dullcote or any other finish spray, mix up some Elmers glue with water and put on a few thin coats of this mix on the edges of your models were the chips will most likely be. The glue dries clear and will give extra protection on those small edges. I have a metal Mephiston that used to give me tons of problems with chipping on the cape. After I applied the mix, I haven't had a need to touch up the model for years. No chips so far.

Hope this helps.
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Postby Redbeard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:16 am

Dullcote is not a protective layer, it is a dulling layer.

I suggest two layers of kylon gloss coat as a protective layer - that is very strong. Then, a layer of krylon matte, to deaden some of the shine, and then testor's dullcote to make the models completely flat.

This has the added advantage of letting you know when the top layer of dullcote is wearing off (as before, due to contact with foam), and you can reapply the dullcote.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby CmdrVimes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:19 pm

The two part epoxy paint used on fishing lures is virtually indestructible. Jannsnetcraft.com carries a good one. Just don't mix it in apply ethylene container. It will melt and make a big mess. Guess how I found out!
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby BostonNazgul » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 am

thanks for all the advice. Krylon gloss finish before the dullcotes and final testors just cause it is cheaper? a testors semi-gloss finish would achieve the same result then finish with dullcote yeah?
BostonNazgul

Postby Redbeard » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:22 am

I'm not sure if it is cheaper or not, though you can get krylon for about $6/can at Blick's. I hate working with testor's cans because they're so small, and you have to use a knife to cut the top off them. It's just convenience for me, but I'm sure testor's semi-gloss would work the same way.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby tulkasulmar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks for the information.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition