Stripping a Models

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Stripping a Models

Postby blk Ice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I know to put it in Simple Green, But what tool do you use to get the paint out of the cracks ?
blk Ice

Re: Stripping a Models

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Metal or plastic? For metal, use tougher stuff than simple green. easy off oven cleaner is good, though do it outside cause the fumes are nasty.

For plastics, let em soak a while in simple green, then use a wire brush. Brass bristles are good for this, they don't scratch the plastic like steel can, but a steel brush will work in a pinch. For deep cracks, just get in there with an exacto and scrub.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:28 pm

I use a toothpick or dentist's pick to get the paint out of the cracks. It's not an ideal method if you're stripping dozens of models but it works quite well overall.
Brian

Postby blk Ice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 am

Thank you all.
blk Ice

Postby acidbrn121 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Will the simply green also take off the varnish thats on them as well?
acidbrn121

Postby tear of the angel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 am

The simple green should. I use a degreaser that comes in a purple bottle from walmart or autzone called superclean, and it takes everything off. I use it to get super glue off as well though takes a little longer. Paint comes off usually about 24 hrs, and I use a hard tooth brush with a spinning head.
SEMPER FORTIS- ALWAYS COURAGEOUS
tear of the angel

Postby BrentS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am

Has anyone tried Simplegreen to strip models that have a lot of greenstuff conversions??? I tried a new primer that I am really not pleased with and I'd like to strip the models down. Unfortunately, they are heavily converted with a lot of greenstuff and plastic-card.

I don't want to risk damaging the conversions as I can make the primer work, its just not ideal.
BrentS

Postby swampthing » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 pm

DARN IT!, I expected something completely different from this thread. That title is missleading.
swampthing

Return to Painting & Modeling