Tips on Painting 40k Buildings?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Tips on Painting 40k Buildings?

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am

Guys, finally got around to putting together my 40k buildings. Really looking forward to painting them. Wanted to get your thoughts on making them really look good. I had a few questions.

1. Should I put them on bases? If I don't, that will make them easier to work with and allow them to work with multiple mat colors. If I do that will make the individual building look a lot more nice and defines the area terrain.

2. What colors or color combinations? Any tips?

3. Any painting techniques to make them really look good?

4. Any resources or images of buildings that have been done up really well?

I figure if I'm making my own gaming boards, I want them to look really good.

Thanks,
Brian
Cptn_Snuggles

Re: Tips on Painting 40k Buildings?

Postby CmdrVimes » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:03 pm

I've found that air brushing can give a really nice effect, especially on bastions. I primer it black then lightly air brush not following the contours of the building. in otherwords, when portions of the building turn in I am actually farther away and closer when they turn out. With Shadow grey - or whatever the new version is called - it gives a nice weathered stone effect that looks mildewed in the inside corners. I then dry brush with progresively lighter shades of grey. You have a lot more skill than I do in shading and such so you should be able to do a great job of highlighting but the base air brushing is a terrific start.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Re: Tips on Painting 40k Buildings?

Postby RAMSEY » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Cptn_Snuggles wrote:Guys, finally got around to putting together my 40k buildings. Really looking forward to painting them. Wanted to get your thoughts on making them really look good. I had a few questions.

1. Should I put them on bases? If I don't, that will make them easier to work with and allow them to work with multiple mat colors. If I do that will make the individual building look a lot more nice and defines the area terrain.

2. What colors or color combinations? Any tips?

3. Any painting techniques to make them really look good?

4. Any resources or images of buildings that have been done up really well?

I figure if I'm making my own gaming boards, I want them to look really good.

Thanks,
Brian

1. Since the new rules set came out buildings without bases allow models to move freely on the ground floor of a ruin. Ask yourself if that's an option you would like. It will also make them easier to paint. But if the terrain is on the board will you see under the terrain at all? I think that adding the base will make the terrain look better on the board.

2. Think about what the world is like on the table you are building. Is it a death world? An alien world? Ruined city? Each one can have different color schemes. A variety of colors looks better to me. I have seen tons of ruined city terrain that is all grey. I found them lacking.

3. Usually drybrushing the majority will give fast results and look good. Then go back and do details like painting a mini. Deatins on terrain can be time comsuming just like minis though.

4.Google image the background on the type of world you want to build and go from there. City references are easy to find. Alien types can come from a number of images too.

Hoe this helps.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Return to Painting & Modeling