Skyshield Landing Pad

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Skyshield Landing Pad

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:05 pm

If I were to make my own custom Skyshield Pad, can I make it taller than the GW model, or could I make it with solid bottom walls so there's no underneath it? That would help out with 'can my dudes escape the Trygon by going underneath it since that can't fit underneath?' question.

I have the dimensions in millimeters for it, so I would keep the Pad itself the correct size, as that would be uncool to make it too huge, and stupid to make it too small.
Lord Krungharr

Re: Skyshield Landing Pad

Postby Redbeard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 am

Can you explain how modifying one of the dimensions of a model in such a way to "help out" with an issue you seem to be having would not be considered modelling for advantage?
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby swampthing » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I would encourage you to make your own, but keep it as close as possible to the GW model in both size and concept, so as not to encourage the wrath rules lawyers.
changes to the original design would have to be so freaking cool (moving parts, flashing pretty lights etc. ) that people would overlook any advantage that you could gain. this is hard to do.
dont forget to post pics.
swampthing

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Are we allowed to move models underneath it or not? I don't know. What if somebody just has a tall spikey helmet or raised arms that prevents the model from fitting, is it then not allowed to move under while dudes with lowered arms are?
How the heck do we see anything under there to know about ranges and crap unless the Pad is removed. And then if removed, how does one know if it's exactly where it was?
So solid walls below rather than legs would solve all of that, or taller overall with legs. But increased height I see as a modeling-to-advantage.

I'll just do legs of some sort then.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:03 am

solid walls may also be Modelling for Advantage - afterall, it prevents people from drawing Line of Sight through a large area.

You could always simply talk to your opponent at the beginning of the game and declare the underneath of the platform to be impassable.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

Good point about LOS under there.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Painting & Modeling