My 25 year old Squats. Finally gonna do something with them.

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

My 25 year old Squats. Finally gonna do something with them.

Postby Doubt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

So when I was younger, I was into collecting Squats, but I've never actually played. They're probably about half painted. I've recently felt the urge to get back involved, because I work all day on the computer, and wanted to do something tangible in the real world.

I have some Leman Russ Squat tank conversions in the works, and have some nice Chimera plans as well. I'm struggling with my plan for the Iron Eagle Gyrocoptors though. I'd ideally like to make these legal at a GW store, because I only live about 3 miles from the Chicago Bunker location, so I think I'm gonna start playing there maybe, once I have this army rockin, and I actually start to learn the rules.

I started learning the rules when Warhammer was first released and I was like 14 years old, now I'm 38 and things look a lot different. Any support in helping me realize this army would be appreciated, my plan is to start with a fairly mechanised Imperial Guard list using that Codex... ideally able to tournament qualify regarding all conversions if I wanted to down the road.

I'm also starting to get into some custom molding and casting regarding custom parts, so that is definitely a solid option i'm looking into for these conversion ideas.
Doubt

Re: My 25 year old Squats. Finally gonna do something with t

Postby Dark Strategies » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 am

Welcome back to the hobby. I'd say your plans for a highly converted army would be accepted and get great review. My o ly tip wyld be to start out with a small goal of maybe a 500 point army come down to the Bunker and get a quick couple games in, then move onto 1000 and so on. This way you don have to worry about painting a whole bunch at once.

Good luck!
Dark Strategies

Postby Doubt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Heh, well, I already have 3 Leman Russ conversions in the works, so I think I'd like to build around a point size to support that ideally. I'm hearing that 6th edition doesn't favor the mech based IG army as much. Dunno, still reading a lot here--
Doubt

Postby Huoshini » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 am

The 6th ed rules have made a very different game, thats for sure. As far as vehicles go (opinion Incoming) I don't think they got any more worse or better. On one hand, vehicles have "hullpoints" so that it will eventually blow up if you hit it enough times just by matching it's armor value for a glancing hit. On the other hand, vehicles can not be instantly destroyed by ONE glancing hit anymore. So really mechanized armies are just more vulnerable to mass amount of high strength weaponry instead of just worrying about the few "anti-tank" weapons during a game. A game changer, yes. A mech breaker...I don't belive so.

Also, for your old school squat copters, you can mount them on a walker base and use them as Sentinels. Thats the best thing I can think of :)

Hope that helps
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Return to Painting & Modeling