Necrons are tough

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Necrons are tough

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat May 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I didn't buy any Dark Eldar so I don't know how hard those models are to put together, but these new necron models are the hardest things I have ever seen from GW. I don't see how a kid can put an annihilation barge together. That thing is hard. I thought it was the hardest until I opened the box for a ghost ark and I just looked at it and shook my head.

GW has solved the army list spamming problem. They've made some units so hard to put together that no one will ever want to put together more than one of them. I'm dying to play my Necrons, but it's taking me a year and a half to put them together!
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Necrons are tough

Postby Redbeard » Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Image :)
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, I am fairly quick at getting most GW kits together. Most kits take under an hour to cut, clean, and glue.....but the new ghost ark/doomsday ark kit took me about 4-5 hours to complete. The ghost ark especially since you have to add all those extra warriors.

The Annhiliation barge/command barge takes a bit at first (took me a couple hours to do my first one), but now that I have done a few it goes much quicker and I think I can do them under an hour.

Fred, you always seem to enjoy the all foot lists.....perhaps stick with that theme in your Necron lists as well and continue your xenos vehicle boycott :D

Send me a PM of some of your list ideas, or post them somewhere. I have been trying out all sorts of crazy Necron armies/units and have been having a real blast playing this army. Its a nice breath of fresh air even when it seems most other folks iterest in 40k is diminishing until the 6th ed. release.

Last night I tried a crazy Nob Bikeresque Necron list that is based around 2 units. It was a ton of fun.

Immotekh
Zahndrek
Obyron

Court 1
Chronomotron Cryptek

Court 2
Chronomotron Cryptek w/ cloak
2 x lance Crypteks (1 with def. grenades)
1 voltaic staff cryptek (has the lightning field)
1 Veil cryptek
1 Lord (MSS, Orb, Warscythe)
1 Lord (Scythe, MSS)
1 Lord (Scythe, MSS)
1 Lord (MSS, phase shifter, weave, hyperphase sword)
1 Lord (weave, staff of light)

7 Lychguard

3 units of 5 warriors
All of these in Night Scythes
(2000 pts.)

Immotekh and Obyron join the Lychguard. Chronomotron cryptek goes here and the Lord w/ orb from the gian court goes here as well.

Giant court stays together and Zahndrekh goes there.

I would veil Zahndrekh to where I generally wanted, give the unit stealth. THen I would use Obyron to land within 6" of Zahndrek so I could place the Lychguard where I wanted, and I would run to fan out. Both units are resilient, one reflects shots, the other has 3+ cover. With the orbs, chronomotrons, and lots of invuls. neither unit goes down easy. With the veils I can go anywhere pretty much anytime. The nightscythes generally go in reserves....and if they are shot warriors go back to reserve....no biggy.

Sorry to Hijack here......in summary, yes the Cron vehicle kits are more exstensive then the rhino variant kits.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed May 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Fred, I feel your pain... even at a fast clip, the ghost ark and the annhilation barge have taken forever to clean, assemble and paint.

Good thing is the infantry paint up fast. Like it was said, the 2nd and 3rd barge platform seemed to go a bit faster for me.

If you want we can get some painting in. I'm flying through my army.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm looking to get an airbrush and use it on the Necrons. Not sure yet. I wanted the gold and bronze look they have in the last WD and got all the paints for that. Still an airbrush might make everything go faster.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Hans,

I like the Lord Royal Court deathstar idea. I mean an Overlord, taking 5 kitted out Lords and hijacking a Ghost Ark has got to be good. They can assault from the Ark after it moves and they can send 6 mindshackle scarabs into a unit followed up with 6 warscythes. What's not to like?

I also like the Night Scythe. The thing is an annihilation barge that moves faster and can carry 15 guys. You do have 2pts less armor, but no open topped. I think it's a great buy. Imagine an MSU necron troop army with night scythes, a monolith to hide things and 3 triarch stalkers to open up vehicles.

HQ Overlord, scarabs, weave, warscythe, barge
Lancetek pulse

EL Triarch Stalker with heat ray x3

TR. 5 warriors, night scythe x5

HV Monolith

That leaves you with 165pts for whatever. Take another night scythe unit or a pair of fabricator claw spiders to repair vehicles. This gives you 6 multimeltas on the stalkers and 20 twin-linked str 7 tesla arc shots. Oh and the Monolith pie plate and an Overlord on a barge to sweep things. Maybe this is to 5th edition. I personally wouldn't want to invest in an army that is to spamerific right now until I saw what 6th edition has in store for us. Balanced armies usually survive an edition overhaul much better than spam armies.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby YeezyMozart » Thu May 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:Hans,

I like the Lord Royal Court deathstar idea. I mean an Overlord, taking 5 kitted out Lords and hijacking a Ghost Ark has got to be good. They can assault from the Ark after it moves and they can send 6 mindshackle scarabs into a unit followed up with 6 warscythes. What's not to like?

I totally agree with you Fred and from experience the unit is quite effective since it can't really be shot down reliably. I had the unfortunate luck of it getting into base contact with my nob bikers and the unit was history. I am almost sure it will be the case for many death star units.

I have been meaning to play test this against some of the guys going down to ATC as a preview for what someone could potentially do with this unit. I expect to see Necrons down there as dominate as Orks and IG but more of a defensive build probably trying to shut down an attacker.

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:I personally wouldn't want to invest in an army that is to spamerific right now until I saw what 6th edition has in store for us. Balanced armies usually survive an edition overhaul much better than spam armies.

If only I was a wise as you I probably purchased more product in the last two months then in the last 2 years. If 6th sucks I will start a 5th cult following where we continue to play 5th and pretend like 6th never happened. I am all for a refresh but some of the rumors lately have been getting me concerned.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Return to Painting & Modeling