Painting Large Tanks

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Painting Large Tanks

Postby Crumpsky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 am

Hello Everyone,

I am about to start the process of painting a Land raider or two, and am a little intimidated by the process. Does anyone have any tips/strategies to getting a nice even coat on a big tank such as a LR? I plan on doing a white scars theme if that helps with any suggestions. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Crumpsky

Re: Painting Large Tanks

Postby seahawk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 pm

You're lucky you're doing White Scars! Simply spray it white, then just paint in the shading and weathering. This will give the large panels a nice even coat of paint.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

As an alternative, you might want to go with an off-white initially, and use the white to really bring out highlights. White is hard to make look good because you have to work to get depth. Spraying is good for even coverage - airbrushing may give more control.

Weathering can help if you use it strategically to hide areas that aren't as smooth as you want. One thing to consider is that paint chips, so you can paint on a darker color that will serve as the chipped area. These chips will be most common around the edges and the tracks, and where moving parts come into contact, like doorways.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Crumpsky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:23 pm

This is what I was going to do paint wise.

Spray with Army Painter Grey Spray (get a nice coverage here)
Do a "dusting" spray with GW skull white

Then thin layers of: Fortress, Codex, Skull White( maybe a mix of skull and codex), extreme highlight with skull white.

For those who have painted white, is this plausible?
Crumpsky

Postby seahawk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

When painting white, I prefer to "paint down" the shadows rather than "paint up" any highlights, as it ends up being much easier. That and I usually paint marines as "Yes, we really did just deploy and all we got are some dirt scuffs."

I guess just do whatever you are most comfortable with!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:46 pm

It will take you forever unless you get an airbrush. If you use an airbrush, you may not need as many steps.

Also, consider Astronomicon Grey rather than codex/fortress. It's the foundation paint, and is much easier to get a smooth color with.

I haven't done a whole tank white, but yellow has similar issues (lack of opacity, needing to be both smooth and bright to look good). The battlewagon I did for my bad moon army took, with no exaggeration, over twelve hours to paint just the yellow surfaces. If you're committing to building up the colours on one white or yellow vehicle, you're looking at an extremely labour intensive project. If you're planning to do more than one...

Do you have an airbrush available? It will speed things up a lot...

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Crumpsky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Unfortunately I do not have an airbrush available. I figured building the layers up will be time consuming, but my university's spring break is around the corner allowing me lots of spare time. Are there any air brushes that are reasonably priced that you guys would recommend investing in?
Crumpsky

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 pm

I've got a Badger 150 that I've used for years for basecoating. It's a good entry-level brush, dual-action for good control, with a siphon feed that is good for doing large batches, but not so good for switching colours frequently.

You'd need an air compressor too.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby RAMSEY » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 am

Ebay has tons of airbrushes. Some cheap to upper level ones. Compressors on there also. I got mine for under 40 bucks with free shipping. It's a little loud and only one gallon but it does the job.

When picking an airbrush, get a dual stage one. These will let you control how much air you use.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Crumpsky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 am

RAMSEY
What kind of air brush do you use?
Crumpsky

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm

I've been airbrushing crap for over 20 years. I've used Paasche Iwata and Badger. They are all good airbrushes. My current brush is an Iwata that I've had for about 10 years. If you're going to get one be sure you get a dual action airbrush that uses syphon feed and isnt gravity feed. With a gravity feed you have to clean the brush every time you want to change colors. You cant keep any paint you put in while doing a different color. I prefer the syphon feed. I can mix up several colors in the jars and set em down for long periods of time. Hobby Lobby and Michael's both have a diaphragm air pump for around $150. PM me if you have any further questions.

Chris
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES wrote:.....we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States.

Take that city of Chicago!
ChrisMIronHands

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I am going to look around at brushes. Ill post whatever I find and see what you guys think.
Crumpsky

Return to Painting & Modeling