Clear Coating Advice?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Clear Coating Advice?

Postby Derg » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am

I've got a bunch of stuff I've clear coated with Testors Dullcote.

I really like the look of it, but it seems like paint is still wearing off (particularly on raised areas or pointy areas) of some of my favorite models. One of which I just painted a few weeks ago and have only used in 5 games.

I've heard that the dullcote only mattes the figure and doesn't really protect, is this true? Do I need to gloss them first, tehn dullcote?

Has anyone tried spraying gloss over the dullcote, and then hitting them AGAIN with dullcote to flatten them? I'd hate to overcoat them and end up with tacky figs.

Any advice/info or brand suggestions would be great.
Derg

Postby RichN » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:50 pm

What do you use for an undercoat/primer? 5 week old paint jobs should not be chipping.

I've heard the same thing - that gloss coats provide protection for the paint while mat coats do not. I've seen people apply multiple layers of mat coat during the painting process, but I've never heard of people applying mat, gloss then mat again. I suppose if you were patient and let each layer fully dry, you should be OK.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 pm

When I really want to protect something, I paint on some 'ard coat, then give it the dull primer coat... I use the Testor's spray as well.

You need a high gloss to give it that hard shell.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Derg » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 pm

The matte. then gloss, then matte again isn't intentional - I've already caoted it with matte. I'm wondering if I want to gloss it (over the matte) then re=matte it to get the look I want.

Plan B is to just be prepared to touch up paint - which isn't ideal, but better than risking tacky clearcoat.
Derg

Postby CmdrVimes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 am

I've had good luck with using a coat of resiliant gloss like Krylon before using Dull coat. Another possibility I haven't tried yet is the clear epoxy that is used on fishing lures and then dull coat. It can only be mixed in small batches but it stands up to being bounced off of rocks continually so it should be indistructable on minis.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby popg0estheworld » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I've used Testors Dullcoat for decades, and it remains my favorite. True, it does not protect as well as gloss coat- this is for the same reason that the finish is different. When you gloss coat, you create a clear surface on your model that has a smoother surface, and hence shines a little differently. With dullcoat, the surface is rougher- flattening the sheen, but not protecting as well.

Gloss coats can be hard to fully cover, but your best bet for protection is a nice matte sealant (the stuff sold at most chain hobby stores will suffice), covered with a few light sprays of Dullcoat. chances are, you will still have a little but of a matte finish, but that is the trade off for protection.

If you are talking about PLASTIC models, there is really no reason they should chip, ever (unless something catastrophic happens). As previously mentioned, you might have a primer issue. I am a professional painter with multiple publications and awards under my belt, and I still swear by the good old Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover Black Primer. Don't bother with the expensive stuff- none of it is worth the money, by my reckoning.
popg0estheworld

Postby timlillig » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 pm

I prefer to use brush on clear coat, particularly Golden polymer varnish. I find it to be flatter and more durable than anything else I've used.
timlillig

Return to Painting & Modeling