Tomb Kings- army blog - 1600 pts painted now

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 pm

wow, I would have never guessed that progression. I really like it.

I was thinking of going the Dneb Stone route (one of my favorite colors). You have me thinking about this way.

Would be easy enough to base white, airbrush on the khemri and go to town on the drybrush then wash.

Nicely done.
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

Yes indeed. I, for a lack of airbrush, had to hand paint and it took a little longer, and I definitely had wished for one at that point!

The Dheneb Stone route is another good way to go, but to me that just makes them bones look too clean and factory-molded (like the stuff in GW pictures). I want my bones to look realistic with a more organic look. Pitting, discoloration, and so on are more the hallmarks of bone than a uniform, solid color with highlights.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby seahawk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:53 am

Hmm, I know this is not necessarily the same scale (25mm tabletop, ~1/1800 naval), but here it is anyway, the Curse of Zandri!

I painted it in my black/red color scheme, rather than the stock scheme. Makes it more personal I think, plus I can always then say it's the ship my army takes from place to place ;).
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby SmokWawelski » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I do not play Fantasy, but I do appreciate fine models - great job Sir - I love the gold that you paint on those models :)
SmokWawelski

Postby seahawk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 am

I didn't like the Necrotect model, so I made my own out of spare parts!

seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 pm

looks great. I like the fact you used the chariot whip.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am

Tomb scorpions, painted to look like they are carved out of obsidian:

Fetch, my pretties!

seahawk

Postby seahawk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Time for a big update!

I finally finished my archers (before they were just playable), so here are my two units. The first is the Queen's 1st legion, and as such they all wear better clothing (headbands) and use better equipment (gold on all parts of the bow). They are disciplined and ready to rock. I modeled the first rank as having their bows raised to fire and the second rank to be drawing new arrows. Magnets keep the bunches of 'em in place!

The other unit...is not quite the same. I've come to call it Pepi's Pirate band, for once I built the unit champion I realized he totally looked like a pirate. Thus, they are naturally a bit less disciplined, as you may notice in the back rank there. Also note in the third following pic, one fellow in the back spotted a bird overhead and decided to shoot that down instead of the enemy.

Here are some close ups of the vignettes I tucked in there. In one, an archer is randomly getting back-handed by the other. Possibly out of spite? In the other, one shot another through the back of the head and one is pinching an arrow from the skittle in front of him (didn't want to use his own I guess??).

And finally, here are two more from that unit: the champion, and one that simply is confused. This entertained me greatly to make.

I also finally built my chariots! Needed them for a tournament this weekend, so I cranked them out in two days. I put in a couple conversions because I didn't want "stock" chariots repeating endlessly.

I also found something to use as a Hierotitan! GW sees fit not to give us one, so I found this Egyptian statue of Seth and repainted it to fit. I plan on creating some scales and attaching them to the ankh in its right hand sometime in the future, but for now it's fine.

And finally, because some have been pestering me for pics of the whole army, here's...that!

Enjoy!
seahawk

Postby seahawk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 am

I had quite the painting fit...churned out the Casket of Souls in ~8 hours and did all of it last night, from prime to complete. I got the Coven Throne for my Lahmian Vampire Counts, and the banshees were going to go unused so I stuck 'em here for the unleashed souls of screaming temporal doom!

Now, as I said I did this all last night, so if you notice something missing/wrong/paint where it shouldn't be then let me know. My eyes weren't entirely focusing by the end...:P

seahawk

Re: Tomb Kings- army blog - 1600 pts painted now

Postby seahawk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 am

Oh right, I finished more stuff!

Here is my conversion of Arkhan the Black. I based the Staff of Nagash on the cover art for the Nagash series (good set, btw). I used the VC necromancer, and Warsphinx crew head and mask top (for the staff). I figured, hey the model doesn't have armor and has a book and weird sword already, so it works perfectly!

Apophas 2.0!

Ushabti!

Here comes Settra!

Chariots that I painted up in a single day of furious painting!

The Tomb Kings march to war...

seahawk

Previous

Return to Painting & Modeling