Tomb Kings- army blog - 1600 pts painted now

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Tomb Kings- army blog - 1600 pts painted now

Postby seahawk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

Been starting up TK, and the models are very nice to paint. Here's what I've done so far:

Last edited by seahawk on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Very nice. Great job.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 pm

truly inspirational! I really like how you did the effect on the gem. Makes me want to pick up the army, I should have stayed away from this post. I'm really looking forward to seeing your other models. Are you going with a dip or a heavy brown wash on the gold?

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 am

Haha, thanks! Especially for the gem...I think it's terrible and too simple, but hey if the townsfolk like it...:P. Sorry drag you in, heh.

The gold is a double wash. I start with Shining Gold and then give a solid Devlan Mud wash. Then I drybrush Mithril Silver for highlights, and give it a second Devlan Mud wash and it's done.

Here's a progression pic:

I like it because it also turns up flat instead of glossy, and since they're all chillin' in the desert and such I figured they'd be better looking that way.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby seahawk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 am

Prince Apophas:

What you can't see is the iridescent sheen on the beetles achieved through lovely ink, and the ever-present blood on his blade.

High Queen Khalida:

Also, you can't really see the highlights on her cloak but they're there.
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:17 pm

seahawk... you're an evil man. I'm foaming at the mouth to try to paint some of these now!

Just buried in projects, at least three deep!

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 pm

My line troops will be up next, so no more single models to tempt you with ;).
seahawk

Postby MaxeysPad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Brian what are you working on? I saw the display board on your blog, and the imperial suns revamp, anything else?
MaxeysPad

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:12 pm

I've been a hobby fiend between traveling. Big projects are finishing up some Suns for Nova, the display board then a real focus on dark eldar and pirate empire for adepticon.
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Need to highlight the red still, but Liche Priests are otherwise done:

seahawk

Postby seahawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am

Sepulchral Stalkers are done! Now, I need to just paint 60 skittles in 3 days...piece of cake.

seahawk

Postby seahawk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 am

Went from this:

...to this:

In 5 days, discounting the 8-hour workdays. Ugh, that was a lot of skeletons...

Close-ups of the archer units coming soon.
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:28 pm

looks fabulous! How are you going with painting bone, what paint progression?

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby seahawk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Might seem backward, as it goes light-dark-light, but I think it works:

- White spray undercoat
- Khemri Brown basecoat
- Skull White drybrush
- Gryphonne Sepia wash
- Skull White light drybrush (selective)

The sepia wash is a wonderful way to age bones without overdoing it. And before this army, I almost never used it...
seahawk

Postby DeathCompany24 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 pm

looks good dude
DeathCompany24

Next

Return to Painting & Modeling