Muddy bases

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Muddy bases

Postby knitemare » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:50 pm

So, as part of a project, I'm trying to make bases look like mud. I thought it would be simple but no matter what color scheme or material I use it doesn't look right. I want it to look like a muddy swamp or like a battlefield being faught on while it's raining. Grass would be sticking out, but matted down in the mud. The ground would be sopping wet, but not a pool.

Anyone here have picture examples of something like that?
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby RichN » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Can you uses Spackle for the base? Then sculpt in a few wavy bits before it dries? When almost dry, you could dry pressing in some static grass. Or drill out holes when the Spackle is dry and plug in longer grass.

For this project I made impressions in clay - then cast in plaster. Its a bit bigger than a base - but I think the idea could be duplicated with spackle.

Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby knitemare » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Yea, I used to use spackle for flames of war bases. Even then I couldn't get the color scheme to look right. I might try to make some depressions and use water effects.
knitemare

Postby knitemare » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:32 am

The bases I was attempting to fix already had ballast and static grass on them.

1) Cover the entire base with a thick coat of Calthan Brown.
2) While Calthan Brown is still wet, drop beads of Devlin Mud into it.
Allow to dry fully, 24 hours.
3) Thin Knarloc Green to skim milk consistency, paint onto parts that used to be static grass (including any sticking up) and non-rocky areas.
Allow to dry
4) Go over areas that are still brown with Devlin Mud again.
Allow to dry
5) Paint all green and non-rocky areas with 'Ard Coat.

This gives the bases the look of being a trampled grassy battlefield that was rained on or near water. I'll post a couple pictures later. It was fun to make them look this way and they really didn't look like much until the last step. I imagine, with care, you could use some colored water effects to achieve roughly the same effect. You CANNOT do this quickly.
knitemare

Postby RichN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 am

A really good tutorial on making mud. The author is also trying to sell product - but the tutorial stands on its own.

The key components appear to be plaster, "Realistic Water" (Woodland Scenics?) and weathering pigment. I'd guess that the pigments could be replaced with paint with the plaster providing the body and the "Realistic Water" providing the watery appearance.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... =page&id=5
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Return to Painting & Modeling