craft world paint sceme

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

craft world paint sceme

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 am

I have been doing the Ulthwe paint sceme, but due to its black and bone white colors i get low scores for painting

I have switched things up and my wife chose "Il-Kaithe" because it has purple. I am working on my first unit of dire avengers and switching it up a bit with blened purple/white for the armor and blened green/white for teh helms and weapons. It looks like bone white/skull white will be the color for the tabards and some part high lights.

What do you guys think of their color sceme? I mean its a bit different but i wanted to at least keep my colors set up for a craft world. I dont have a web site to post my pictures to to paste them on here to show you my work. So all i got is descrpitions.

Also a note to all my painting teachers: i gave my first painting class in blending high lighting to a new player that plans on playing orcs. So far so good and he like me can't beleive he could paint like that.

So thanks again for all your help and i am sharing the knowledge you all gave me.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Re: craft world paint sceme

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 am

moonshadow13 wrote:I have been doing the Ulthwe paint sceme, but due to its black and bone white colors i get low scores for painting

I don't think it is due to the colour scheme. Ulthwe can look awesome when done well. Black is sometimes hard to work with, as you cannot shade darker than black. (Much like white is difficult as you cannot highlight brighter than white). So, rather than paint them black, paint them dark grey, with real black reserved for the darkest shadow areas.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 am

i love your idea with that grey combo as now i am in blending stages. I have in the past always been told by judges and freinds that black and white scemes are not looked on favorably.

I will have to look and what your suggesting and even maybe do a black grey blending for that very shadowing effect. Guess i will have to take a crack at redoing some of my warlocks for practice. All that time in getting those banners and then my buddy who is a great banner painter doing them for me. I guess i should try to take them up a notch.

Thanks for the idea Alex. I planned on creating some black guard as i have a ton of dire avenger peices to create some unigue guardians for the Ulthwe "Black Guard". My buddy is working on teh banners and i plan to add a unit of them into one of my games.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby Amedeus40k » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

I have in the past always been told by judges and friends that black and white schemes are not looked on favorably.

Hmmm...well, as one who has a Black Legion Army that has taken several "Best Appearance" awards, I find this statement somewhat alarming. LOL!

When it comes to painting armies that are predominantly Black in color, I think it's all about the highlighting. Once your army is primed Black, essentially the shading of the model has already been done for you. Now your task is to highlight the models well enough to bring out all of the detail of the model. This is a painstaking process, but your efforts should produce a fine looking army on the battlefield. When it came to highlighting my Black Legion, I started with a 50/50 mix of Codex Grey, and Black for my first shade of highlight, and then went to straight Codex Grey for the next shade of highlight, and then went to Fortress Grey for my final shade of highlight. That's 3 shades of highlights on every model in the army that had "Black" as the primary color. In some cases, I actually went one step beyond, and added a little "Skull White" to the "Fortress Grey" for another shade of highlight. This of course was used very rarely, and only in very small amounts, but it really helped bring out the detail and the overall look of the model. In actuality, you could just start with Codex Grey as your first highlight, and go on from there. It's up to you.

Something else I should mention, when Black or White is the predominant color, I think it's important to break up that color scheme just a bit with a contrasting color. An example would be to paint the weapons a different color that is noticeable, but at the same time still fits in with the overall look of the army. This can be done with the weapons, or maybe a particular part of the armor of a model, maybe a shield, or a knee or shoulder pad. Something that helps break up the monotony of the all Black, or White color scheme. With my Black Legion, this was achieved by the use of "Gold", and "Silver" on the shoulder pads and weapons, etc. With an Eldar color scheme, this may not be possible, but I thought I'd at least mention it. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

:wink:
"Are you afraid of the dark? You should be...you SHOULD be!" -Loethadai the Lurker
Amedeus40k

Return to Painting & Modeling