Gap filler

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Gap filler

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Any advice on what to use for gap filler? I need something a little more "paste" then green stuff. Potentially something that could be sanded.
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby RichN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Is this for a model or something bigger?

Apoxie sculpt can be finished to almost a glass smooth surface with water.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Yakthor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm

If its just to fill a gap and not replace glue I've used both carpenters wood putty and the spackle/joint filler that is used for drywall. No bonding like green stuff or gap filling glue, but it will fill in a hole and can be sanded. Also pretty cheap at the hardware store, and both can be thinned or cleaned up with water.
Yakthor

Postby CmdrVimes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 am

Modeling putty by Squadron or testors may be old fasion but still work well. Fine seams can be filled with super glue and sand down nicely.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby EldarCorsair » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:02 pm

EldarCorsair

Postby Celthulhu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I agree with Rich. Aves Apoxie Sculpt is a two part putty that you can use with water to make it mushy, like pottery clay, and it sets up in a few hours. You can sand it and carve into it.
Celthulhu

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Leisure Hours has tubes of http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/squ/squ9065.htmthat works fantastic. Call over there and talk to Larry and he will point you in the right direction. 815-439-1477

From a modeling forum all three from different posters:

I use the Bondo glazing and spot putty, I find it much easier to work with. I tried the Squadron and Testors putties and it always seemed like they were half dried up coming out of the tube.

I do the laquer thing too, I actuially find that if you add 3 to 1 laquer to putty you can make a great texturing thing, I use it all the time to texture kits, also, it fills small seams alot better.

I vary the amount of laquer depending on how thin I want my putty. I actually recently put a tube of Tamiya putty into a babyfood jar and filled it with thinner (probably between 5 and 10 to 1 thinner to putty). The result is a really nice, thin... ooze, really. But like Smeag said, it is great for filling tough to reach seams. I also am using it for a Zimm pattern that I've been wanting to try.

PS I also agree that Squadron white is the way to go. I was a green man for a long time, but have recently embraced the white!
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES wrote:.....we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States.

Take that city of Chicago!
ChrisMIronHands

Return to Painting & Modeling