what brushes should I buy?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

what brushes should I buy?

Postby amrogers3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Attending a few of the painting class at Adepticon. I would like to know what size and type of brushes I should buy for the classes?
amrogers3

Postby CmdrVimes » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

I'm not the best painter but I've been using Micro Mark Golden Eagle brushes for several years. They last and hold their shape much longer than GW brushes. they have a set of five that is a good start. I've found their flats and dry brushes useful also.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby langstraad » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 am

Vallejo brushes are excellent and superior to GW brushes.

I have a set that has made it through 5000+ points of Eldar and Space Wolves are only now showing their age.
"We are going to play this game the way Erik Lange would, vicious and cruel, even the women and children must die" - Barry

"You ask the stupidest questions on AWC" -Turtle
langstraad

Postby Amedeus40k » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:23 am

When it comes to paint brushes, ultimately it comes down to what type of hair the brush is made from that determines the quality. Sable hair brushes are the best in my opinion. They hold the paint well and distribute it evenly as your painting. They will also hold their shape for a very long time, as long as you take good care of them, and clean them well after use.

When it comes to choosing which company to buy from, I use a combination of the new Citadel line of brushes, Vallejo Brushes, and I often use a Sable hair fine detail brush from Reaper. The Sable hair brushes tend to be more expensive. I think I spent $12.00 on the fine detail brush from Reaper, but like I said, if you take good care of it, it'll last quite a long time.

GW or Citadel Brushes have always been sort of a medium grade of brushes, but in the past couple of years, they've produced a new line of brushes that I think are much better than what they used to be. For me, when it comes to "fine detail" type brushes, I use the Sable Reaper brush, or a Vallejo fine detail brush, for everything else I use the new Citadel line. Hope this helped! :wink:
"Are you afraid of the dark? You should be...you SHOULD be!" -Loethadai the Lurker
Amedeus40k

Postby EldarCorsair » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Have to disagree with the GW brushes being good. I think their quality stinks and you pay a s***-ton of money for them. I've never used Reaper or Vallejo brushes, so can't say if they're good or not.

Ultimately, the type of brush you use is determinged by what paint you plan to use with it. Most miniature painters use acrylic paint, so it's best to use Kolinsky Sable. A good Kolinsky Sable in the most used sizes (00, 0, & 1) will generally run you ~$7-9/brush. Blick Art carries a ton of them already discounted off MSRP, you can also get a free 10% off shopper card, and you can also get further discounts if you're a student.

I use Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes in 00, 0, 1, & 2 sizes and a Raphael in 000. As long as you take care of them properly, are sure to clean them after every paint session, they can last years and years, which saves money in the long run.

If you're interested, I have some tutorials that may help:

Brush Care 101

Choosing & Buying Paint

Hope that helps!
EldarCorsair

Postby Amedeus40k » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Have to disagree with the GW brushes being good. I think their quality stinks and you pay a s***-ton of money for them.

Yeah, I know a lot of people don't care for them, and you're right, they are insane in cost. Especially for the set. Like many people who have been in this hobby for a while, I tend to use what I've grown accustom too. I've just been using them for basic stuff like drybrushing, and base coat painting. When it comes to the fine detail I almost always go for the Reaper, or Vallejo. I forgot about the Kalinsky Sables. I had a few of those as well, and their great brushes.
"Are you afraid of the dark? You should be...you SHOULD be!" -Loethadai the Lurker
Amedeus40k

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 pm

I use Winsor and Newton almost exclusively. If you sign up for the blick frequent buyer card thingy they send you a 20-40% off coupon every month or so and you get 10% off every purchase when you don't use a coupon.

Some of the Winsor Newton brushes I have are holding up so well that the paint that came on the brush handle is flaking off while the brush itself still holds a terrific point.
Brian

Postby amrogers3 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am

Brian wrote:I use Winsor and Newton almost exclusively. If you sign up for the blick frequent buyer card thingy they send you a 20-40% off coupon every month or so and you get 10% off every purchase when you don't use a coupon.

Some of the Winsor Newton brushes I have are holding up so well that the paint that came on the brush handle is flaking off while the brush itself still holds a terrific point.

Dickblick has great prices on the 8404, however, I couldn't find the frequent buyer card. How can I sign up for that?

amrogers3

Postby EldarCorsair » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

amrogers3 wrote:
Brian wrote:I use Winsor and Newton almost exclusively. If you sign up for the blick frequent buyer card thingy they send you a 20-40% off coupon every month or so and you get 10% off every purchase when you don't use a coupon.

Dickblick has great prices on the 8404, however, I couldn't find the frequent buyer card. How can I sign up for that?

I'm fairly certain you have to do so in a store. That's how I got mine.

I've noticed though that a lot of their online prices already have some or all of the discount applied.
EldarCorsair

Return to Painting & Modeling