BoFA

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

BoFA

Postby machinechick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 am

Hi all,
After a decade of inactivity I decided to start playing (not really, just collecting and painting) again.
Since I'm just doing this for kicks, and am pretty much just into various fluff, and am into Tolkien, though I'd get a BoFA set.
10mm ends up looking, well rather 'epic'. And (IMO) is easier (ok, cheaper) to paint up than 28mm. After this is done, think I will paint all the Man O' War stuff I still have, and the Epic 40k, BFG etc.
machinechick

Postby BrentS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 am

Looks cool. I've got a set of Battle of Five Armies that I've been wanting to paint myself.

A couple of us have even being talking about running a Battle of Five Army game at the Bunker sometime.
BrentS

Postby machinechick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks, they are fun to paint, but as I'm sure you have heard for these smaller scales, your painting an 'army' more than an individual figure.
Most of the detail you can see in the photos isn't visible at game 'range'.
The goblins just look like a filthy dirty horde of killers (which is the look I wanted, as opposed to the 'standard gw cartoon' look).
On the other hand I really wanted the dwarves to look kinda like rich boy, prima donnas, all shiny and top of the line gear. Under the magnifier I paint under, they looked pretty good, from table view they look like someone spilled a box of skittles on the table. :shock:
Basing seems to be just as important as the paint and figure. (kinda dropped the ball on the dwarves here also, just too 'busy')
To cut to the chase, using simple themes, colors, and unified coherant looks rather than 'busy over active' themes contibutes to an impressive looking military/gaming miniature unit, IMO. With unit being the operative concept.
Ah, live and learn I suppose. Still got the elves and men, the characters/commands, and all the blisters to go. (it's like a full time job).
machinechick

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

What's funny is that if you have 2000 points of Warmaster floating around (or know warmaster and want to play) there is a 2000 point tournament happening at the bunker I believe a week from Saturday. There are quite a few of us who have several armies. I have high elves, dwarves and tomb kings painted. Chad Kimmel (Shaggrud Dethblasta) has O+G and I believe Dark Elves available so you have access to armies.

That being said, that bo5a stuff looks good. Too bad I never got into it back when the metal was available...
Lordgoober

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Looks great!

I actually have a complete set, including every metal blister, plus an extra half a box (goblins and wargs).

I would love to plan something for this summer/fall at the Bunker. Some sort of giant BoFA day.

I know Jamie has, at least, one set as well.

Dave
DavePauwels

Return to Painting & Modeling