Tyranid 'ard Coat Finishing

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Which 'ard coat scheme looks better?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 am

On the Carapace
67%
On the Flesh
33%

Total votes : 9

Tyranid 'ard Coat Finishing

Postby BrentS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 am

I've been building a Tyranid army to get them on the table quickly - basically just looking for a nice tabletop finish. To that end, I've been doing a lot of batch painting and relying on washes to provide the shading.

Now, I'm trying to "finish" the models with some 'ard coat. I've got two options - add it to the carapace and make the hard shells look shiny or add it to the flesh and make the skin look slimy. Which do you think works better on these models? I've wavered back and forth on both approaches.

BrentS

Postby LongFang » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:48 am

When I painted up my bugs, I hit the carapace with the 'ard coat and it really looks sharp on an entire army. I think it may get lost a bit on the skin, but I know that it really brings out the carapace.
LongFang

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 am

First, NICE paint!

The 'ard coat on the carapace is the way to go nice models man!
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES wrote:.....we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States.

Take that city of Chicago!
ChrisMIronHands

Postby BrentS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty happy with how these models turned out considering that they were basically speed painted as much as I could and still end up with decent tabletop models. I do really like how they look in big bunches :wink:
BrentS

Postby Crumpsky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I feel you lose some of the color in the carapace when you put the ard coat on it. I prefer the skin.
Crumpsky

Return to Painting & Modeling