GW Spray-gun is it worth the money.

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Is GW spray -gun a good buy

Poll ended at Thu May 21, 2009 11:38 am

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 20

GW Spray-gun is it worth the money.

Postby turbo tj » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am

Was in GW a few days ago and got the word on the new spray gum. Have any of you used it yet? Is it worth the money? I got a mixed review from 40K Radio and I'm still not sure. What success/disaster stories do you have?
"FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!"
"FOR THE KAHN AND THE EMPEROR!"
Chapter Master: Destroyers Chapter
turbo tj

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 pm

For a few dollars more, you can get a proper airbrush, which, while not looking like a flamer, will give you considerably more control over your work.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Huoshini » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:52 pm

For $60

You should eb able to get a small air compressor with an airbrush kit.

This beats the money you'll spend on the GW air brush and you don't have to buy "Propellant refills"
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Re: GW Spray-gun is it worth the money.

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:39 pm

turbo tj wrote:Was in GW a few days ago and got the word on the new spray gum. Have any of you used it yet? Is it worth the money? I got a mixed review from 40K Radio and I'm still not sure. What success/disaster stories do you have?

I own an Iwata Airbrush. I used to Airbrush Tee-shirts for a living. If your serious about buying an airbrush I'd suggest doing some research, and finding a good dual action brush. You'll have better control, and way more success painting with one. I'll post up exercises to do with an airbrush in a bit.
ChrisMIronHands

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Generally pretty bummed on the airgun. I have used it three times now basing my Flames of War models (perhaps that is the problem!)

It's no good for any real control work - for mass basecoating it is OK, but you'd be much better off with a real airbrush or using something like Army Painter colored primer.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 pm

For Airbrush practice with a Dual action gun, you want to make these L shapes and concentrate on making a small line to start and getting Fat in the middle and then ending with a small line in the shape. A taper if you will, is what your looking for. Pardon the crudeness but this is literally only the second time I've used this pen tablet and my painter program.

It should look something like this

ChrisMIronHands

Postby shadowopal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Very cool of you to do that man. I was going to say there's plenty of material out there. But, you one upped me.

Back to the poll. Get a dual action and a compressor. Forget the Flamer. It's just a basic single action and it's not very well made. Too many parts to break and plastic is not gamer friendly.
shadowopal

Postby JAIME B » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 pm

I agree with everybody here the flamer airbrush is only good for basing. It's cheaper to just buy primer from walmart for $1.00 and get a really good airbrush from companies that know about airbrushing.
JAIME B

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:54 pm

ChrisMIronHands

Postby Kuma » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Any advice on cheap Set ups? I want a dual action I can use to camo some tanks
Kuma

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Go to hobby lobby. Look at the Badgers and the Iwatas.
ChrisMIronHands

Thank You Thank YOU

Postby turbo tj » Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions. I knew there was probably a better choice for airbrushing.

Here's a new question for you; For base coating airbrushing works, how skilled do you have to be to do details on miniatures? Tanks are easier then say a space marine, do you need special adapters or accessories to get in close?
"FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!"
"FOR THE KAHN AND THE EMPEROR!"
Chapter Master: Destroyers Chapter
turbo tj

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am

The guy i used to work for was amazing with an airbrush. He'd been doing it for the better part of 20 years. An airbrush in his hands was like a pencil in ours. Its possible but I don't see the merits of using an airbrush exclusively to paint a miniature. Changing colors is where you'd spend most of your time.
ChrisMIronHands

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm

The benefits really show when you're doing masses of figures that are all predominantly one colour, or large flat surfaces.

I painted close to 100 lesser daemons in roughly 10 hours because all the grunt-work of getting their base colours done took so little time. (And they looked good too, I had the second highest appearance score at the Adepticon invitiational).

You're right, there is no point in using it exclusively, it's a tool, and like any tool, it has proper applications and improper applications. Used correctly, it is a huge time saver.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Re: Thank You Thank YOU

Postby shadowopal » Wed May 06, 2009 2:07 pm

turbo tj wrote:Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions. I knew there was probably a better choice for airbrushing.

Here's a new question for you; For base coating airbrushing works, how skilled do you have to be to do details on miniatures? Tanks are easier then say a space marine, do you need special adapters or accessories to get in close?

Base coating, washes and large flat surfaces are made for airbrushes. The blending on troop sized models is more quickly achieved with a paintbrush and a steady hand. If you don't have a steady hand, an airbrush will not help you. On tanks, dreads and the like, an airbrush can be used to great effect and will cut down on some time (especaiily if you use quick-swap color bottles instead of mixing in a color cup mounted to the airbrush.)
shadowopal

Return to Painting & Modeling