Adepticon SIngles Battle Summaries

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Adepticon SIngles Battle Summaries

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 am

Here are some brief summaries of the games I had in the LotR Championships this last weekend. I played Dwarf Rangers with Gimli and 6 Iron Guard leading the way, 53 total models.
RD 1 -- MAtthew from MI---Wood Elves, Gwahir, and Giant Eagle. Scenario was Domination and High ground. His model count was lower than mine and I thought I had a good chance to win this game. I made a tactical error trying to kill the eagles and lost a few combats and warriors in the process. Nothing really epic happened during this except the last turn. I controlled 2 objectives and he controlled one, the last was being contested, he had 5 wood elves against my 4 rangers and Gimli, needles to say Gimli and a ranger could not kill one D4 wood elf, to give me a minor victory. So I got a Draw. I think I won the high ground bonus points can't remember.

RD 2 John Hess Easterlings, Wild wargs, and Spiders. Storm the Camp, Artifact scenario. Great I am Dwarves and he has all sorts of 10 inch movement. John proceed to try and flank me with the beasties instead of getting them up to protect the artifact and fight on my side of the table. He dug up the artifact and I stole it from him after killing the guy who had it. We slugged it out in the middle, while my natural sprinter of a ranger was making a bee line to the camp, with the artifact. After several turns I managed to break though and move towards his camp. Gimli, an Iron Guard, and a ranger made it there successfully and the ranger studying the artifact made several courage checks to stick around.
Minor Victory w/ bonus Pts.

RD 3 Frank Brown--Dwarves Dain Iron Guard Khazad Guard lots of Shields and Armour. Meeting Engagement and CoC. Great Dwarf on Dwarf love again against Frank. I need to be careful for what I wish for, another rematch. Third times a charm I kept saying to myself. We start out and do the dwarf dance to see who gets to throw axes first. We finally engage after ok archery on both sides, my volleying did a little damage but nothing great. I fed an Iron Guard to Dain in hopes that I roll a 6 hew might have to use some might to win the fight. That didn't happen and 1 dead IG. WE slap each other around a bit then my dice go nuclear, winning combats and rolling 6's to kill, I remember a ranger attacking 2 of Franks IGs because I had to keep them off GImli. Throwing axe killed one and when combat came he killed the other. By this time Dain had 2 kills and Gimli 0. I won priority and attacked Dain with Gimli, Dain had 2 wounds left and 1 fate. Gimli wins the fight and I roll 5,5,and 6 to wound.
Now with 2 might left do I or don't might the two 5's. I did. Lets get some fours!! I roll the 2 with the might needing 3's and get a 4 and a 5 awesome. The last die needs to be a four and I roll a 3. Darn!!! OK Frank needs to fail his last fate, and I might be on my way to a victory, he makes the save. I broke him and still wasn't broke myself I was in control. Soon I break and he is 2 models from being below 25% when the game ends I am stilll well above the mark, but after two turns of my dwarves running and neither of us doing anything in H2H, we both go below 25% on the same turn for a draw, Franks get the CoC pts because Gimli can't kill a thing, I though he was supposed to be an offensive juggernaught.
I have to comment on this because it struck my funny bone, when my dice were hot Franks were not and a couple flew into the tray he had sitting to him, wow this reminds me of me. During the game we each had the "Golden Ticket" within in our grasp. In the end Frank won the Ticket (which he deserves, he has done a lot over the last few years to promote this game and he should be there in Vegas). This was one of the most intense games I have ever played. I was shaking. My record against the top tier players isn't the greatest and this win would have been very cool for me. I competed in different sports my whole life and firmly believe that if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. There are some very good players around here and I have played Frank 0-3 Tim 0-2 Brent 2-0 Wyn 0-1. I have not yet had the pleasure of getting smacked around by Gary, Kyle or Chris LS.
SO I ended with 2 Draws and 1 minor Victory with some bonus points. Great games and good friends.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Re: Adepticon SIngles Battle Summaries

Postby Smeagol » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 am

Given Brent's sense of humour I feel confident I can poke fun and not get into too much trouble.

[quote="Guardian of Ecthelion"] I competed in different sports my whole life and firmly believe that if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. There are some very good players around here and I have played Frank 0-3 Tim 0-2 Brent 2-0 Wyn 0-1.quote]

Soooo what you're saying Brent isn't a member of the best of the best club right? :twisted:

Sounds like you had some good games and I consider you to be a very good player. Las Vegas where the scenario and force matchup was 110% in my favour you handled that one sided loss better than anyone I've ever played and at the last Bilbo's Bash you had me on the ropes down to that last die roll.
Last edited by Smeagol on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am

No He is in that club. But wait until you hear about how I beat him with 3 models in a 350 point game.(':oops:')
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 am

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:No He is in that club. But wait until you hear about how I beat him with 3 models in a 350 point game.(':oops:')

We are not going to talk about that game. EVER.

I'm just about ready to hand in my "club card". I'm just too rusty to be in that esteemed group - too much time organizing and running events instead of actually playing in tthem. I noticed this quite a bit on Saturday. Frank was able to help us pull a draw from a looming defeat.

P.S. For the record, I've played Chris B in more matches than any other player in the world. I've got a winning record in those games I'd suspect but I've lost the only two that "counted" during tournament play. Maybe I just choke :D

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack Chris's thread anymore.
Last edited by BrentS on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentS

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

That damn unexpected party kicked the livin bleepedy bleep out of me numerous times. You sir are correct in the fact that my wins against are few and far between. I will however continue to spread the good fortune I had against you in this game.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby febber » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

A couple comments:

That rd 3 game was epic. I was actually in contention for best overall. I had the better of shooting and so when we closed I was thinking major victory was possible. Then Chris's dice went insane and all I could think of was our rd 5 game at BBB where it was my dice throwing strats out the window. So I couldn't complain a lick as it was just my turn to get dice-slaughtered.

Chris told me afterwards that he had me shaking and sweating. In fact, he didn't. Instead, I was totally resigned to defeat because against a good player and good army you can't overcome wildly unbalanced dice. The only reason that game was a draw, when Chris deserved a win, was that his smoking hot dice were surprisingly cool on courage rolls. We figure Chris probably had 7-8 dwarves run which at that stage of the game was decisive. Had he passed more checks he would almost certainly have had his first victory against me. As it was this was probably the bloodiest game of Rings I have ever played. By the time the game ended two nice dwarven armies had decimated each other.

As to Brent, its true that his play was below his normal high standards - but what he said is not an excuse -- working so hard on the prep for the events really does take you away from the game as a player. He basically had no time to prepare mentally for the transition. However, let me say this about Brent's understanding of the game. He primarily developed our Best General winning army list for the team event, and he was the primary conceptual designer of the formats for the two events this past weekend. This was the best and smoothest Adepticon ever for LOTR and those of you who weren't there really have no idea how well Jamie and Brent ran things.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

WHat I meant was that I was shaking and sweating.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Gartl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Sounds like some great games! I wish I could have been there (had Tim not bailed on me...)
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:08 pm

What can I say. I'm flaky, but I'm in good company. Jeremy flaked too. :P
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)