We hates the crossbows, precious.

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

We hates the crossbows, precious.

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 am

Hello All,

I played another game of Meeting Engagement against Tim's Dwarfs with my Legion of Isengard list. This was my attempt to use "fire and maneuver" tactics to close with the Dwarfs while using my crossbows.

Tim had the devil's own luck shooting my crossbows. He slew one with volley fire, then two more with direct fire, passing through my "ablative" Orcs to kill the crossbowmen. It was terrible.

So, I abandoned the remaining crossbows and sent the rest of my army charging forward. Dwarf shooting killed quite a few of my Orcs, as had been expected. My army then veered left into his two-handed axemen and attacked in melee.

Melee went very well for the Uruks. Dwarfs were kicked out of the defensive position they had been occupying and fell back. Dwarf archers in the center fired a few more shots and then swung around to fight the "tail end" of the Isengard army, where they ran into the Berserkers and began to be pummeled. A handful of Dwarfs moved to take on a handful of Uruks and Orcs on the extreme right flank, and were pummeled for their trouble. The Dwarf hero, Baen, attempted a heroic combat against an Orc swordsman, was forced to pay an additional might point to win the combat, and then failed to slay the Orc.

Even so, the numbers of the Dwarfs eventually began to tell and the Uruk perimeter began to slowly shrink. My Shaman kept everyone in line, and not one of my models fled, but eventually my army was destroyed.

So much for "fire and maneuver." I have to agree with those who said that the crossbows are only good on the defense, or in a siege when the defenders cannot retreat. C'est la guerre.

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

Yeah, I should stop engaging in Heroic Combats. They are such a waste of time when I'm rolling the dice.
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)