A fearsome four-way

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

A fearsome four-way

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:31 am

Hello All,

Gary, Tim, Dennis and myself played a four-way game of Contest of Champions last night. Each player got a table quarter, and then the race was on to see how many foes our champions could slay.

Dennis set up in the corner to the left of mine, fielding his Rangers of Gondor, Wood Elf and Rohirrim mixed-army. A Rohrirrim captain was his champion. Gary set up in the corner to my right, with his army of Gondor. A captain of Gondor was his champion. Tim's corner was opposite to mine, where he threw down a horde of Orcs and Wild Wargs led by Bhurdur, his champion. My force of Spiders and Morgul Knights was led by the Knight of Umbar as my champion.

Dennis's cavalry moved in front of his infantry towards my army. My Dark Marshal compelled the Rohrirrim Captain forward where he was butchered by the Morgul Knights, taking Dennis out of the running for victor.

Gary's Gondorians started to move towards the center of the board, but halted when he saw my Spider Queen and four Giant Spiders perched on a large rock formation that dominated the approach. Tim's Wargs were flooding towards him, anyhow, and he settled into a defensive stance.

Dennis sent a few more Rohrrim to die against my Morgul Knights before wisely deciding that the Orcs to his left were a softer target. My knights pivoted and moved towards the center of the board. Again, my Dark Marshal compelled a model, this time Gary's mounted banner-bearer towards the Morgul Knights were he was mobbed and slaughtered. Now the melee between the forces of old Numenor and Gondor could begin!

The battle devolved into two separate melees, with Tim's Orcs and Wargs fighting Dennis's mixed-force and my Knights and Spiders fighting Gary, exclusively. Bhurdhur began to rack up kills against the lightly-armored opponents he faced, putting Tim in the lead for champion's-kills.

Gary was initially contemptuous of the small size of my army (14 models to begin with,) but became increasingly frustrated as his troops became paralyzed with terror and blunted his ability to use his superior numbers against me. My Knight of Umbar began to slowly increase his kill-count. Gary's own champion killed a spider and a horse, leaving him in third place.

Eventually, all four armies broke. The Harbinger of Evil rule from my two Ringwraiths began to take its toll on the other armies as troops began to desert in panicked masses. The last of Dennis's troops were either slain by Orcs or fled the table. Gary's Gondorians either fled or were cut down by the Black Numenorians. After much effort, he killed my Spider queen, caused the Dark Marshal to evaporate, and unhorsed the Knight of Umbar. His Champion was slain by a Morgul Knight, fixing him in third place, and my last two models, the Knight of Umbar on foot and one Morgul Knight on foot, destroyed the last of his army.

Now it was my two models against Bhurdur, a Wild Warg Cheiftain, and a gang of Orcs hanging around Bhurdur. The Wild Warg Chieftain charged the Knight of Umbar, and for some reason, Tim fired into the combat, wounding his own Chieftain, who was then slain by the Knight of Umbar.

The Knight of Umbar began to use his Will to Drain Courage on Bhurdur. Tim recognized that he was in the lead, already, and chose to not use Bhurdur's Stand Fast. The Orcs fled the Harbinger of Evil as quickly as they could, as did Bhurdur himself.

The Orcs fled before the Knight of Umbar could kill enough of them to catch up to Bhurdur, leaving Tim as victor, myself in second place, Gary in third and Dennis as fourth. The game ended with three Orcs on the table alongside my Knight and Black Numenorian (had I caught and killed all three in subsequent turns, I still would not have gone past Bhurdir's kill count, so we ended the game.)

It was a very fun game, and I enjoyed the fact that although I had the fewest models of any of the armies, I would have had the last men standing had the game gone on one more turn! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glory to Numenor!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 pm

It was a fun game. I wonder how well my small White Council force would have done.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:04 am

Depends if I could Sap Will/Transfix them successfully.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 am

That's assuming you avoid getting zapped by the wizards. Two can play at that game. :P
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)