A battle report, of sorts.

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

A battle report, of sorts.

Postby BaronDeSade » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Hello All,

In a fit of Epic Masochism I agreed to play Tim's force with the single Goblin in it. Why not, after all, give my friend some practice with his tournament army, and hey, I know all the dirty tricks now, right?

So, my Uruk-Hai scouts rolled out against his mounted Trackers, his mob of crappy Orcs, and the single Goblin.

The first ten turns of the game were excruciating. Tim's army would retreat and shoot at me, and the Uruk-Hai would cautiously advance through cover and fire back with their own bows. Interestingly enough, the Uruk-Hai, despite having fewer archers and less mobility, were generally winning the shooting war against the Orcs, save for a freak accident when a volley-shot flew through the overhead cover and killed Captain Mauhur. Vrasku tried to even the score with his repeating crossbow, but the targeted Goblin Shaman had five or so ranks of Orcs in front of him, and couldn't be hit.

Had we been playing on an infinitely-large surface, the game would have likely continued for a week, but fortunately, Tim's Orc horde was finally backed into a corner by my many-fewer Uruk-Hai. Tim clearly (and rightly) feared the fighting power of the Uruk-Hai and was determined to squeeze every last drop of shooting he could before he engaged in combat.

Finally, the battle was joined! The Goblin inflated the Orc Chieftan's Warg (which Vrasku had shot to death earlier, but he got another one when a Tracker died) and the Orc Chieftain charged forward, stomped an Uruk-Hai Scout to death in a heroic move and then charged forward to kill Captain Ugluk. Vrasku responded by leading a heroic charge of his own that trapped a Tracker and sent many Uruks counter-charging into the mounted Trackers.

The Orc Chieftain's mount's heart exploded from the strain, but in Tim's army, another Warg is usually at hand and he soon remounted. Even so, much hilarity was had as the Orc Chieftain and one of the mounted Trackers tried to beat up an Uruk-Hai Scout who was lying on the ground and failed with all eight of their striking dice. "Their shields are broad!" Gimli was right!

On the other flank, another inflated Tracker/Warg charged through the Feral Uruk-Hai and slaughtered Imgul my Shaman. My Uruk-Hai started to die from weight of Orcs, and then the Orc Chieftain, on his new, inflated mount, killed Vrasku and four of his friends in a single round of combat and the game was basically over.

Obviously, being a 60 point Uruk-Hai Captain is no defense against a 5 point inflated Warg. The inflated monsters rolled more dice than me, at a higher Fight score, and had a monstrously high Strength score to boot. If the Warg then died, which didn't always happen, the Tracker could continue to fight on foot, and it did not count as a "casualty" to Tim's army as far as Break Point went. Nice, eh?

If I had to play this game again, I would focus on hunting and killing the Wargs in ranged combat. Without the Wargs, the Goblin Shaman has nothing to inflate, and Tim's army is just another mob of Orcs. On the other hand, I believe that the Shaman can create his own monsters, and then inflate them, so I would have to be very careful to shoot down whatever he created before he could inflate it in the following turn. Warg trackers are decent shooters, but they have crappy armor and poor range, so I think most armies that have a lot of archers could outshoot them and kill all the Wargs.

Maybe I'll try my Easterlings next time...

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:08 am

Actually the monster summoning is a WOTR rule not SBG. As "excruciating" as that game was in the early rounds, you really had me on the defensive as I couldn't figure out how to attack your force without sacrificing my lead attack units. So I forced myself to play defensively for as long as possible. Once I saw an opening I launched my attack and three turns later I had literally slaughtered your force. I was actually very suprised at how quickly your force went from bruised to destroyed.

My warg riders did and took the brunt of the abuse. The infantry did little more than decimate your weakened center on the last turn of the game.

I do appreciate you giving me a chance to practice with my "abomination". :)
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am

Nice to hear that I was making you think, anyhow. It wasn't very easy for me to maneuver my infantry such that you wouldn't immediately be able to spin around and attack my army from the rear.

My army is hero-based, and when I have my heroes, my banner and Fury save going, I'll slice right through even an elite army like Gary's Galadrhim. Without my heroes, my force is small and poorly armored, and I rolled terribly in the last round of the game.

One of the difficulties in facing your force is what Sun Tzu called "formlessness." If you had Gothmog on a Warg, I could watch out for him and adjust my tactics accordingly. Since you can make ANY of your Orc Trackers into a more powerful fighter than Gothmog, my difficulty is multiplied x18.

I'd be willing to give that army one more try against my Easterlings.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm

The army is viable even without that hero's spells as his passive abilities make the army tougher as well. I'm happy to beat on yoru Easterlings. They are a tough wall of bronze and would be a good test.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 am

It's not the wall of bronze shields that you need to worry about. It's the rain of bronze-tipped arrows that will fall on your army. My UH Scouts don't have any volley-fire capacity, which is usually OK since Vrasku is such a powerful direct-fire weapon. The Easterlings can volley-fire just about anywhere on the board, and that means that that stinking Goblin won't be able to hide behind five layers of Orcs. My Easterling Archers out-range your Orc Trackers and have better armor as well. Finally, my Easterlings will only have one Captain and so there will be fewer targets for Warg suicide-bombers.

So, I think I have a good chance, and if nothing else, the game will be a lot less tedious because I don't think that you'll try and hang back and outshoot my Easterlings, but will have to march forward and get stuck-in as soon as possible. :P

Avante!

Baron DeSade
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Druzhag is just on component of the army. I still have the bulk of the force to fight with. The basic force I used last year and did pretty well with and I only had a shaman in that force. This one trades out an orc drummer and a hero to get Druzhag. As for Volley Firing my hero to death. that won't work as well as you might think. I know how to defend against that trick.

What those Easterlings give you is numbers and high defense combined into one force and that makes for a difficult combination to deal with. I have found a bettter combination for Easterlings which keeps up numbers, shooting and provides spear support all along the line, plus it gives you more than one hero to utilize. Harad and Easterlings combined is actually a decent looking force. As long as you don't mind the FV of 3.
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)