The fastest game I've ever played: High Elves vs. Orcs

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

The fastest game I've ever played: High Elves vs. Orcs

Postby Sajii » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

I played a little game today, using my orcs against a friend's High Elves. We decided to play To Kill A King, with his Elf captain in heavy armor and shield as his, and Grishnakh as mine.

The battle began with the typical groans as the orc horde ran forward, knowing a lucky few would have a date with arrows. After a few turns and 8 dead from arrows, I finally reached combat. However, my opponent moved his supported Elf Captain in base to base with Grishy first turn our lines met. I wasn't looking forward to fighting a F6 hero with might with my weaker captain.

The dice rolled, and the highest roll for the Elf was a 3, while Grishy rolled a wonderful 6. The wound rolls came up...6,6,3! I used all 3 might and killed the captain, winning the game on the first turn of combat.

Victory for the Orcs!
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Postby LongFang » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Sajii wrote:
The dice rolled, and the highest roll for the Elf was a 3, while Grishy rolled a wonderful 6. The wound rolls came up...6,6,3! I used all 3 might and killed the captain, winning the game on the first turn of combat.

Victory for the Orcs!

lol. This is why banners are important!
LongFang

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:30 pm

It also helps to learn to out maneuver your opponent. I'm betting the elves didn't bother moving once deployed (or at least very little). So that means you had to maneuver against him. This gives you plenty of opportunity to attack from different directions, and if you have secondary heroes to lead these attack groups they can go after that elf and let Grishnak go in for the kill at the end. Or at least stay out of trouble.

The frontal assault worked more by accident then design. :)
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:17 am

Sometimes the dice just go your way!

If it had been me, I would have been using regular elves to try and wear Grishnak out first. At FV5, they are still favored in those fights I believe.
BrentS

Postby Sajii » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 pm

You're right Smeagol, he didn't move much but I definitely outmaneuvered him. I had flanked with wild wargs that were keeping part of his army busy, allowing the majority of my force to close in from the other side and fight a weaker front. I figured the black guard would start carving through the elves, despite the higher FV agianst them. It was purely dice in that game, as he moved the captain in to score some initial wounds on Grishnakh, as the higher fight and might could have easily achieved this.

We kept playing, but his rampant 6's prevented anything my army could do besides dying. But that's not what this is about, right? :lol:
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Oh yeah, facing elves and 6s are obnoxious.
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)