Minas Tirith siege at Hurricon 2009

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Minas Tirith siege at Hurricon 2009

Postby Jack Napier » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:19 pm

A few weeks ago the semi-annual HMGS South convention was in Cocoa Beach. the Adam's, my self, and Frank ( when he hasn't disappeared off the face of the Earth :) ) usually use this as an excuse to get together and play large games for 8 hours or so. This year Tom joined us for our over the top Minas Tirith siege.

The game started with the towers at the walls. Evil and Good were split into 3 areas of control. Center wall / gate, left wall, and right wall. I had control of the Evil center wall area. I had 3 Wraiths on fell beasts, the WK being one of them. 6 trolls I believe, and about 40 Morannons, and regular orcs. Grond started 3 turns out, and when it got to the gate, had to spend 1 turn in contact, then the gate was automatically smashed in. Rolling to break it in would have added some suspense to the game, but just like having the towers at the walls, it kept the game moving since we had a limited time to play. Even though that limited time was about 9 hours.

The first turn the 2 Avengers and the Citadel guard almost killed the WK, and his fell beast. The second turn I remedied that by taking out the crews of those weapons, and engaging guys on the walls in melee combat to be kept from getting shot up. I knew the wraiths wouldn't last the game from losing Will from fighting, or being shot to pieces, so I used them to keep the defenders on the walls tied up until I could get guys up there. I never got into a position to take out Gandalf, who was kept wayyyy in the back.

About the same time the Wraiths went away, I got through the gate with 6 or 7 trolls, which was nice. I did have ladders, so I got Gothmog and a bunch of Morannons on the wall above the gate.

Once in the gate you can see from the pics that they spread out their guys so I could only get to 1 at a time. They tied up my trolls with a guy each turn, and then Gandalf transfixed 1 a turn, and using Furlong, and a bunch of other guys killed them off 1 at a time. A few took 2 turns, but it wasn't much of a consolation.

With I think 2 or 2 and a half hours to go Rohan showed up. A turn or 2 before them was the Haradrim and Warg Riders. I controlled the wargs and sent them through the gate, which by now had bogged down, where I could only get 1 in at a time.

The game ended in a draw, but if it had gone on another few hours Good would have pulled out a win. With no trolls left, the Nazgul gone, and Harad and Rohan beating up each other, there wasn't enough left to defeat Gandalf with Imrahil, and Furlong. Especially when Rohan came on. They had more a ton of Might to throw around. Every hero, plus a few generic captains... ugly.

Jack Napier

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 pm

I love the table. Very nice use of the Mighty Fortress sets as well. Who built the ramps and courtyards?
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:27 pm

I remember when GW tried to do this game at a Games Day - they had some 12 cases of models and about 12 feet of table. It was tons and tons and tons of orcs facing off against a bunch of Minas Tirith guys on the walls, with Rohan coming later. I think this was before the Mumaks were released, but there was NOTHING like seige weapons, towers, or anything. They then tried to run it twice. I couldn't understand how it would have been enjoyable at all.

Looks like you guys did a much better job of it. Great terrain!
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Jack Napier » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 am

All the terrain and 99% of the minis belong to the Adam's. I think the ramps were made of extra Mighty Fortress wall pieces. Tom and myself brought a few to fill out the lists.

This actualy ran very smoothly. We used WotR movement trays for the Evil guys, since the Good guys just sat on the wall. It made it go a lot faster. We did have siege weapons, 4 on each side. They worked out pretty well for everyone usually being used to take out the other side's siege weapon, which is a siege target.
Jack Napier

Postby BrentS » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:14 am

Looks like another fun game. Did you guys lose Frank this year?
BrentS

Postby Amdur » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:13 pm

BEAUTIFUL table and set-up, and very nice minis as well!

Nice job, and thanks for sharing the pics!!

-Tim S.
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex.
Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.
Amdur

Postby orcishthug » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:02 pm

For the ramps I cut down extra towers so the floor was even with the wall floor, cut off the two sides of crenellationand attached to a wall section. The trimmed parts of the tower wall formed the angled side of the ramp. The wall sections are staggered back to back with towers spaced in forming choke points but not interrupting the wall. The net result is the walls and ramps are wide enough to be playable.
In doing these mega scenarios over time at Hurricon and Recon we get a sense of whats playable and adjust things to get a balanced game thats playable in about 8 hours (or 4, if its a single session game). Like Dave said, I sacrificed the vicarious thrill of being able to shoot at moving siege towers to concentrate on the meat of the scenario, the fight for the city. The Siege engines can take down a tower (with most orcs still in it) against the wall, but counter battery fire is generally a priority. One Trebuchet outlasted the orc catapults and was in the process of taking down a tower when insane orc shooting i think took out all but the crew's captain. The game ended in a 5-5 tie when time was called. Victory points were:

Good:
Each wall section contested + 1
Witch king Killed +1
Gothmog Killed +1
Evil Side Broken +1
Evil Side Reduced Below 25% +1
Make Safe the City (Rohan Model Reaches Gate) +1
Model from Garrison exits gate to support Rohan Charge +1
Evil:
Each wall section cleared +1
Gandalf Killed +1
Imrahil killed +1
Minas Tirith Garrison Below 50% +1
Minas Tirith Garrison Below 25% +1
Prevent “Make Safe the City” +1
Non Flying Model exits back city table edge +1
Garrison Eliminated or Evil Eliminated Automatic Victory
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby Smeagol » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

I'd love to see something like that for Adepticon on say Sunday. :twisted:

Scaled down of course given the tighter time table for gaming of course.
Smeagol

Postby Jack Napier » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:12 am

BrentS wrote:Looks like another fun game. Did you guys lose Frank this year?

yeah something about him being busy doing lawyer stuff... the excuses people come up with.. :wink:
Jack Napier

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)