Woses go to war

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Woses go to war

Postby Smeagol » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:26 am

I took my Wildmen of the Druadan Forest out for a game last Friday and they faced off against Steve's Easterling/Khand alliance. We played a Domination game.

His force was
Amdur Lord of Blades
Devrim, War-Priest of Rhun (Mouth of Sauron
Baltabek, Khandish King with Chariot
16 Easterling Warriors with Swords and Shields
8 Easterling Warriors with Spears and Shields
10 Khandish Horsemen, 3 with Bows

Total Points: 593
Model Count: 37
Break Point: -19

Mine was Ghan-buri-ghan, A captain of Rohan with a bow, and 72 Woses. My model count was 74.

the table was sparce for terrain and looked like a stark version of the necro tables we played on in Orlando. Basically six pieces of terrain so no place to hid and nothing to use the woses elven cloak ability in. The four objective pieces were a wooded piece (in my deployment zone), a large rock formation (nuetral left to me), a ruin (nuetral right to me) and a low hill (Steve's deployment zone). There were a couple of other low hills on the table towards the sides near the rock formation and the ruins. The Woses got Priority and moved forward enmass. I had split my frce into three manuever groups of 24 warriors with the gaps between the groups holding my two heroes. My inital plan was to drop a few models off in my home objective and push for the two nuetral ones with about one third of my force each and use the remnants of my center as a reinforcement force and/or capture force for Steve's home objective.

The easterlings shot their cavalry towards the rock formation on my left and the majority (all but one) of the easterling infantry went for the ruins on my right. I was out numbered on my right flank and I had a lot of cavalry attacking my left. I decided to reinforce my right flank with my reserves. Unfortunately I fell into the insidious trap that the woses bring in that I stopped my forward advancement to ready my blow pipes and the easterlings choose to shift their position instead of advancing into the teeth of my blowpipes. While I was caught offguard I had at least shifted models on my right flank in the event Steve tried to make an end run fo the ruin instead of advancing up the center like he appeared to be. The cavalry i locked into place by placing two lines of blowpipes. Steve tested my missile fire by mistakenly placing a couple of cavalry into my range and wasn't too impressed with the results (I missed all my shots). As he was preparing to move into charge range I double checked the stats on the woses and discovered that they have a Shoot value of 3+ not the 4+ I had used. Steve immediately cancelled his cavalry advance and pulled back to reconsider his attack options.

On my right the models I had sent to end run the Easterlings managed to catch the leading edge of his flank and I managed to turn it. By the end of the first four turns there was a dead horse and five dead Easterlings with no dead Woses in return. The Easterlings shifted the entire infantry line to my right and consilodated their position. The Mouth of Sauron kept angling for a spell shot at Ghan, but I was being careful with him. Amdur likewase didn't have a clear shot at my only hero on that flank. Woses again turned the flank of the Easterlings and trapped more models. The Easterlings counter manuevered and undid some of the damage, but trapped models still existed. The end result was ten dead Easterlings and fifteen dead Woses.

The battle of position on the left with the rock formation became a pitch battle once I commited one of my two blocks of woses into cavalry charge range. I was barely able to get my Captain of Rohan into combat (supported by a woses warriors) with a horsemen of Khand. The eroic Combat costs me two Might points (I really need to stop calling those), but at least I had dented the cavalry charge and inflicted some hits on the enemy. The Woses took a frightful number of losses, but I still hasd numbers on my side. The Khandish King acting as a banner was hurting my ability to win fights.

On the other flank Amdur's ability to act as a banner was having the same effect and within a few turns I was beginning to have trouble setting up two on one fights. I was still doing my level best to kep Amdur away from Ghan and to negate The Mouth of Sauron's spell casting. The Mouth of Sauron never got a spell off the entire game because I kept him tied up or there wasn't a good opportunity to do so. This came back to bite me later. The casaulties were mounting up on both sides and Steve and I were both near break point by about turn seven. I had launched four Waoses towards his home objective since he only had one defender there, I had four more sitting on my home objective, I owned the ruins and was between the Easterlings and that objective and I had more models at the rock foramtion than Steve. So if either of us got broken I was in a good position to pull out a Major Win in short order.

The next turn saw both of our forces get broken. I had all four objectives at this point and I knew that I had at least one turn before the game would end. Unfortunately I never got Priority again. I managed to pass most of my courage tests and I had the Khandish horsemen on my left flank pretty much trapped, though all of them had charged. The combats were sharp, but I amanged to cut down all but a couple of them so I now outnumbered them by nearly four to one. The Easterlings were a little more brtual. I threw what reserves I could muster into the fray in an attempt to break the Easterlings lines and more importanly to kill off their heroes. Amdur was invincible and I neve so much as scratched him. The Mouth of Sauron I nearly killed, but he made his Fate roll and I never got a clean shot at him again with Ghan-buri-ghan. At the end of the turn I still had a Major Win, but the game didn't end.

The next turn went just like the first except The Mouth of Sauron fell back to avoid Ghan-buri-ghan AND Amdur fled the field. He was the only Easterling to fail a courage test and therefore was the only one to flee the field. This meant that the Easterlings were without a banner for a change. This unfortunately didn't translate into any increased wins on my part as my dice went cold. I managed to reduce the Khandish to just their King, but I had lost the Captain of Rohan and I was now down to six models on te flank. My home objective was barely held by two models, Steve's home objective was held by two of my original four models and the ruins still belonged to me with one model holding it, though the Easterlings were a lot closer now then they were a couple turns ago. Net result were more casaulties on both sides, but mostly on the side of the Woses. If the game ended I was still in posession of a Major Win. It didn't.

The game lasted another three turns and between failed Courage tests and combat the Khandish King managed to take out my entire left flank and held the object. Steve's home objective was still held by the two woses that refused to flee, my home objective was abandoned by my cowardly warriors and Ghan-buri-ghan and his warriors were finally destroyed totally on my right. Steve attempted to push models to his home objective and my home objective to pull out a win instead of a draw, but the game ended on that turn.

Result a draw. The woses lost 72 models including their two heroes. Fifteen of those losses were to failed Courage tests once broken.

The Easterlings and Khandish horsemen only lost one model to failed Courage tests (Amdur) and had taken some where near 28 casaulties in combat.

The woses are really soft in combat. They have an average Fight Value coupled with a very low defense (3). So they tended to loose fights and when they did they died about half the time. Against the Easterlings I was fighting the same FV so things weren't too bad, but the two banners in that army (both of the heroes) were a darned nuisance. I caught myself trying to use the woses as a 100% missile armed force and crawled in a couple of turns (or more correctly stalled), but that only allowed my opponent to manuever against my static lines. I eventually abandoned any hope of using the blowpipes and only took opportunistic shots about mid game. Those few shots managed some important kills on flanks including some horsemen or their horses, but all in all they didn't amount to much. I may have to break my force into four manuever elements instead of three. This will give me tha bility to leap frog units or to designate one or two as interior line units and to manuever those behind my front lines thus maintain some ability to manuever against the enemy, while presenting a daunting missile screen to anything that wants to advance into my guns (well pee shooters).

This is also a force I'm considering for the UK GT. For that event I will replace the generic captain of Rohan out for Saruman the White. Representing one of his many forays into the environs of Orthanc as he looked for allies. It would be a simple matter to convince the Wildmen of the Druadan to become more aggressive against their neighbors and would give Saurman the White a chance to gauge their potential as an ally in his grand scheme. I suspect he'll be unimpressed with their performance.

This force has some great potential against orcs, goblins and uruk-hai. Against goblins they have a higher Fight Value, their blowpipes require the goblins to take two turns of fire as they close and once in combat the Woses are wounding the heaviest armoured warriors on 4+. The one battle I've had against goblins was severely one sided with Gandalf immobilizing the troll and the woses killing everything else.

Against orcs the woses are on more equal terms when it comes to Fight Values and the orcs are faster so they will take usually only one turn of blowpipe fire, though if I can manage to perfect my leap frog tactics I might get two turns of fire as they close. Once in combat the woses and the orcs are wounding each other on 4+.

The uruk-hai particulary the Isengard version are more difficult. They have the FV advantage and with Isengard a significant armour advantage. This means that the woses might outnumber them two to one, but the losses will be far more significant and unless I can manage a lot of kills early in te game I'm in for a world of hurt.

Bowmen of any sort are also bad for the woses, but if I have enough terrain to utilize then I can at least keep some of my force effectively invisible to the enemy's archery.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:10 am

An interesting read. As you can imagine, I'm always very intrigued by your Woses army battle reports. I think the Woses are a much better choice for an event when you know you'll be facing evil forces with them. At least you've increased the odds of seeing Orcs and Goblins that way.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am

I've had the woses sitting in a box while I get my Khandish Mercenaries finished up again. I was thinking of organizing the woses into four warbands of fifteen each that way I could get mutually supporting units, but after some though I've decided on makeing smaller groups. Twelve per warband which gives me a good leap frog ability. Once in short range I will be able to keep three units manuevering at any given time and can still present a decent amount of fire power at any given point in the battlefield.

Initally I can ignore the blowpipes since they'll be out of range anyway and tha means I'm maneuvering my entire force against my opponent. Where I will have issues is closer up. I need to get a good feel for when is good to set blowpipes and when I should just ignore them. Terrain would be a wonderful thing as well since I can effectively hide my line from charging models and still put out some shooting up to 12". Elven cloaks makes Woses infested woodlands dangerous for cavalry to stray near.

The forces that will give me the most fits are the high defense, high FV forces and most of those are Good armies. So in the US woses aren't as useful as they are in the UK where fights are Evil vs. Good. Of the evil armies Isengard, Black Numenoreans, Easterlings and Morannon Orcs are the only real hard forces due to their defense values.
Smeagol

Postby Nostromo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:51 am

Where are the rules for the Woses?
Love the few models they have-
I always saw them with Fangorn as a Goblin/Troll type good army- too bad you need be Rohan or Gondor to pull this off...
Nostromo

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:29 pm

The Return of the King has the profiles for the Woses.
Smeagol

Postby Nostromo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm

thanks- I thought all the rules from the older books were rolled into the One-

so I kept looking to the supplements or a WD-

Is it me, or is half the range only available from GW direct now?
I can't find these at my retailer and he says he can't get them- along with about half the elves and Rohan Outriders and Sons of Eorl?
Nostromo

Postby BrentS » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Nostromo wrote:Is it me, or is half the range only available from GW direct now?
I can't find these at my retailer and he says he can't get them- along with about half the elves and Rohan Outriders and Sons of Eorl?

Its not you. Most if not all the blisters are Direct Only these days.
BrentS

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)