Battle Reports for The Necro 2009

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Postby orcishthug » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:28 am

Actually this brings up a good point. I need to go back and read the rules (or at least skim them ) periodically in the context of recent games. I think I read the latest version when it came out as a mini book in the Moria set and only occasionally revisited to thumb particular rules. Its easy to fall into playing a certain way from earlier editions that may have changed in some subtle way. Haven't reviewed the FAQ's (if there are any) lately either. Thats all more important for tournament play than scenario play, which has been the majority of our LOTR activity until tournaments appeared the last year or two.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:44 am

I absolutely agree with Tim - I lost that game fair and square, the part about the unarmed archers was simply an oversight. I completely understand, having made many oversights myself in my time. I posted the comment more as a way of checking my own memory and to inform people of a rule I was not aware of, and that I thought Eric was not aware of.

Eric was a fantastic sport throughout the tournament and I'm glad I had a chance to play against him. In fact, I very much want to play him again next year.

One note that I saw looking at the big blue book was that it lists hobbit archers as "having knives (counts as being unarmed)", so the rule at least dates from that version, though it is also highly confusing. I think there may have been a rule in ROTK that daggers counted as being unarmed.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby febber » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm

John is correct that although I have played against Eric's hobbits on many occasions, I've never brought the issue up because it never occurred to me, and I'm not even sure it's ever been applicable. I do know that hobbit archers are considered unarmed and suffer the penalty, but although I have played Eric's hobbits on many occasions, I rarely if ever H-to-H his archers.

Eric has never beaten me with his hobbits - although he has beaten me with other forces. I have won a few times, other games have been draws. In mobility scenarios, I simply go around them. In pitched battles, I pick them off at range even if its volley. I can kill a hobbit archer under CBL with the same roll his hobbits kill my Gondorians w/o it. Except that I have 6 inches longer range, and that when volleying he never gets an unobstruced shot at my archers. Once his archers have been attrited, I move in to engage.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Yeah, I could have played for the draw - I figured I'd either go big or go home.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby orcishthug » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:42 pm

I think you've seen the last of the Hobbits (except for scenarios) unless Thing 3 (aka Alexander) gets a bug up his butt to play them sometime. Eric has been spinning new Army lists a mile a minute. I've got a couple thousand figures (half plus unpainted) and I'm sure whatever he settles on will be the ones I don't have.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby Smeagol » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 pm

I have that same disease.

EDIT: For the record we are also concerned with other Hobbit forces.
Smeagol

Postby febber » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 pm

ChrisLS wrote:Yeah, I could have played for the draw - I figured I'd either go big or go home.

I don't play for the draw. But I also refuse to walk right into someone's gamestrength's. Basically I fight these games as if I were a general fighting a war. That's just my approach.

Sometimes I can't kill enough of them at range to beat him at meeting engagement, sometimes I can. Basically the more attrition I can do from range, the more chance of victory when I engage. We tend to play a lot of turns because we have no problem rolling dice for shooting without much movement.

This strategy works, of course, because of S3 bows. With only a 1/3 chance to kill a hobbit, the casualties come to slowly.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
febber

Postby ChrisLS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 am

Yeah, I just couldn't outshoot him. Well, that's the way it went, and I'll admit I will sometimes gamble when I play - take the big risk and it either pays off big or I get my butt handed to me. This time, it was the latter.
Last edited by ChrisLS on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisLS

Postby febber » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am

ChrisLS wrote:Yeah, I just couldn't outshoot him. Well, that's the way it went, and I'll admit I will sometimes gamble when I play - take the big risk and it either pays of big or I get my butt handed to me. This time, it was the latter.

The other thing Chris, is that we all knew that you had to win that game to have a shot at the big prize, which you were very much in the running for. I would have taken the same approach you did with your army, given your blinding light.

There's been a lot of talk about how tough the hobbits are, but you could easily have won that game if the dice hadn't betrayed you. With GtG you had what you needed, the dice weren't cooperative. I had that disease the first couple games at the tourney too. Nothing you can do about it.
febber

Postby Smeagol » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:12 am

febber wrote:There's been a lot of talk about how tough the hobbits are

Hobbits being tough isn't a problem. I don't think any of the forces in play weren't in the tough category if played well and matchups worked out. Mine was definitely on the tough side.

The fact that the army can sit back and not play the scenario and still get a Major Win is my complaint.
Smeagol

Postby BostonNazgul » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:06 pm

i tried called out my GitD opponent on berserkers only having 2 handed weapons and thus cant be supported by pikes, was quickly shut up and then had my army cut to pieces, re-reads are always in order i guess.

brent and i came across a heroic move cloud in our game which we solved on the spot but afterwards, actually solved it wrong, oh well, not like it would have changed to end result minus hindsight.

i think terrain is the biggest ally to defeating hobbits apart from tailor making a counter army.
BostonNazgul

Previous

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)