Battle for Osgiliath (with Pics)

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Battle for Osgiliath (with Pics)

Postby prion2001 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Dean and I met up to play some War of the Ring but decided to play SBG instead. We got to play on the Osgiliath terrain that Chad had loaned to the Bunker. I've seen his terrain before but never had a chance to play on it so I was thrilled to get the chance.

I was playing a 600 point Minas Tirith force with a King of Men and two generic captains. My troops were all Warriors of Minas Tirith along with 5 Knights and 3 Rangers. Dean fielded an Orc army with Shaman, Captain, Mordor Troll and some Giant Spiders. We decided to play a Pitched Battle/To the Death type game.

The table was packed with ruined buildings but there were two avenues running the length of the table and we ended up splitting our forces and facing off. I deployed half my warriors, my archers and my Knights on the left flank while placing the other half of the warriors along with the King and Banner on the right. Dean had deployed his Troll, half his warriors and spiders plus his Shaman on his right flank with his other force deployed on his left.

The first few rounds involved my archers trying to kill some Orcs and my force moving to the middle of the table where there was a crossroad that connected the two main avenues. My plan was to move my archers towards my right flank and pull my warriors back to buy time while I killed enough Orcs to force Dean's army to break. I really don't face Trolls much so my hope was to avoid it as long as I could.

The plan worked well and I held up the Troll for a few rounds by feeding him one warrior at a time. In the meantime my right flank, including my Knights which I redeployed, was able to slowly eat away at his Orcs and Spiders. Through some gruelling combats I finally manged to break his force but due to his Shamans Fury spell his force managed to hang around.

By the final rounds his Troll had finally moved on my forces on my right flank. I threw as many of my heroes and warriors at it as I could but managed to never roll more than a 4 for any wound rolls for about three rounds of combat. Luckly for me, his Troll finally failed it's courage test and the game was finally over.

I had a great time and I realized how much I enjoy the skirmish game. This game was just the thing to get me out of my post-Adpeticon funk.

Jamie

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Dean » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:44 am

It was a fun game Jamie... thanks....

Someone was losing some Warriors on his flank to the Mighty Orcs and then decided to RUN!!!!! :)

Dean
Dean

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 am

Sounds like a fun time. I'm getting an itch to play some games again soon. It must be the Necro talk starting up but I'm definitely getting the itch.
BrentS

Postby Aragorn by the Bay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 am

Thanks for the report!

By the way, great terrain, great painted models, and great photography! It's wonderful eye candy!
And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli
Aragorn by the Bay

Postby prion2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 am

BrentS wrote:Sounds like a fun time. I'm getting an itch to play some games again soon. It must be the Necro talk starting up but I'm definitely getting the itch.

It was a blast. Speaking of the itch, Dean and I were talking about the general LotR funk people seem to be in right now and how it seems to be centered around WotR. So, I'm hoping we can go old school and get a bunch of people together for some SBG in June or July. Screw WotR (for now) and let's play the game we all love.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby tjski » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am

Nice report, I like the terrain. Last night my son (who's home from college) saw this report and then asked if we could throw down with some LotR. So I busted out 350 points of dwarfs and 350 Urk-hai scouts, played "The Artifact" from GitD. Had a frickin blast playing! last time I played LotR was after Adepticon and I will agree, after reading of all the faults and crappy BR on WotR I was a bit down on LotR.

Not anymore after last night! So thanks to Jamie & Dean for this report, because of it my son is excited to play and it gets me out of the WotR Funk against LotR.

Tim K
tjski

Postby Brightlance » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:03 am

I would recognize that terrain anywhere!

I have played on it before, always a great time!
Do you know what would go great with that...? a MODULAR GAMING TABLE™
Brightlance

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 am

If it would help to get people excited about LOTR and playing games, the terrain in the pictures is always available if requested.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)