Adepticon

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Adepticon

Postby General H-Bomb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:11 pm

a week and a half later I decided I would do my best to write a battle report for the singles tournament. If I get any of the details wrong in my game against you just let me know and ill be happy to correct them. I jotted down some notes for each game and im pretty sure I remember this correctly. I actualy wasn't going to participate in the singles. I had a plan to just tool around chicago that day and just do the doubles tournament, but looking back I was probably just kidding myself.

A quick rehash of my force

1 Uruk-Hai captain w/shield
1 Drummer
12 Mordor uruk-hai w/shield
12 Orcs w/spear
9 Orcs w/bow
3 Orcs w/bow and spear

Game 1. High Ground

Something of note, I was semi-intimitaded by Jeremy's posts on here... Mostly it was the freaky picture in his profile. So the first time I saw him was in line to register for adepticon.. I didn't know for sure it was him, but he was wearing a sox hat and was talking about lotr so I kinda figured. Anyway.. after I saw him my first thought was "he looks like he is from upstate ny" and the intimidation factor was gone. Anyway on to the match... When I approached the table I couldn't right away figure out what he was using, im guessing the ship messed me up. After staring a bit I realized I was up against Dunland and thought, perfect I win! No spear support, lower fight value and no mobility, I thought this is right up my ally. Then he placed the nazgul on the table and I figured I was in trouble. I used my drum to get position on and around the hill, since I had the spear support I wanted to be able to set up my troops and pick my spots giving me double the advantage. Early on in the volley stage he picked off a few models of mine while I couldn't get anything of his. I figured this was a bad sign and that maybe the rolls werent going to go my way. as we approached the hill I noticed his nazgul was staying in the center of his line so I moved my captain to my far left flank to take on the models he planned to flank me with and keep him safe. back to the archery as I said during the volly he had a nice advantage this included his extra round of straight firing with his 6 inch advantage. then "it" happened. My bows got in range of his and the killing began... My archers took out a solid 6 of his making him end the shooting and get them into combat. Meanwhile my center line was holding up very nicely and taking his models out at a nice pace. With my captain leading the left flank they had no problem beating back the would be flankers. On my right my archers did a wonderful job during the shooting and did an equally splendid job during their portion of the fighting. Since using them three tournaments ago I am no convinced that you are better off taking away 1 archer in favor of adding spears to the back rank of archers. it will do more damage than that 1 archer ever will do... Back to the fighting. With my captain away the nazgul really had no significant model to target and was relatively ineffective. With only 7 will to start he really couldn't afford to put him into the fighting right away. While I believe I won this game in the initial movement phases the thing that locked the victory up for me was roll offs. His captain could not win a fight against the Uruk-Hai due to both of us rolling a six and me always winning the roll off. I made quick work of his captain and most of his men. On the ninth turn I beat the drum to get all of my models on the hill. The tenth turn was a full attack to ensure the major. With his captain killed I also earned the bonus.

Result Major with bonus

Round 2 "sieze the prize"

I really wanted to play Brent in this round, I figured with the drum I could get there just one turn behind him but with the round to dismount and grab I could use the drum again to go past the objectives and fight him from his side of teh board. Not sure how it would have worked but it most definitely would have been a fun game to play tactically. Instead I got Josh Smentik sp? He is a good general to be sure but he had a walking army against my drum... no contest here. He was an army of Black Numenorions and again a nazgul. I wasn't worried however, I knew my drum would take care of business and sure enough it did. Relatively boring from that standpoint. I marched up, grabbed the objective and four orcs marched it back. He did make it semi-interesting as he vollyed at my orcs with the objective. On one of the rolls he got 4 sixes and in my head im thinking great he is going to kill all of them. Thankfully he only managed to kill 1 and the other three marched off with the objective. Meanwhile my army absolutly destroyed his. His downfall was matching his captain up against mine and he won priority 90% of the time. This eliminated the need for courage tests to charge his troops and the fight was over pretty quick. I can't remember for the life of me what the bonus was but I do remember acheiving it. If anyone could tell me that would be appreciated.

Result Major w/bonus

Round 3 "domination"

This was another game that I walked into knowing I would win. I faced an identical army to mine... 1 captain, a drummer elites and orc support. However this was an army of morannon with trackers. Since my models outclassed his I knew I would take it, it was just a matter of avoiding the 1 or the 2 to end the game. Simple really, I marched my entire army up the board without stopping to volley. He marched his moroannon to the middle but sent his trackers up a hill to take shots at me. That was the first of his major mistakes. He took away the numbers advantage from his army and gave it to mine forgetting I still had the superior troops. His second major mistake was sending his captain straight in against mine... It was an easy victory for Captain Unamed! The fighting went rather quickly and as I figured it was a race to get to his objective before a 1 or a 2 were rolled. I only faced that challenge twice and both times the game continued. I had more than enough troops to cover and ended up whiping him out, I only lost 5 models that round which helped me secure the bonus. I would like to say I played a tactically sound game but aside form forgoing shooting all together really it was just a matter of having better troops and my opponent handing me the numbers advantage and his captain.

Result major w/bonus

Ok so we went into the break and I knew that I would be playing for best general in my final game. I tried to guess who it would be, the one person I figured it wouldn't be was brent because I thought no way for sure could a small mounted rohan force survive against all the uruk-hai forces out there. OOPS!

Round 4 Contest of Champions

Ok after playing 2 games in a row that I felt confident I had little chance of losing I was entering a game I felt I had little chance of winning. I was about to enter a contest of champions with an uruk-hai captain against erkenbrand mounted. He had a mere 20 guys while I had 38 targets for him to choose from. I had to quickly come up with a plan. First I knew I had to play for the draw if I got the win great, but a draw was the best I could hope for. So we placed half our armies and I decided to place all my archers on the table. I had two goals in mind. First was to take out erkenbrands horse and second was to eliminate the fate point from his outriders. I managed to take out the horse from erkenbrand but the loose mount rule took that away, but I did manage to get a couple of outriders however they were failing their fate rolls something I was not too happy with. So after waiting a few rounds and shooting back and forth I felt enough of my models were on the board where I could make my move. again my goal was simply to pull a draw. Brent played smart and kept backing up untill he could take the charge. My drum however kept me on the move and prevented him from doing too much running. When the lines finally met the champions where on opposite sides. I won priority and he called a heroic move, I also called on but not to prevent a charge but to prevent his men from running. He went first anyway but did not run from my captain they stayed put and took the charge he was able to charge erkenbrand into two models. So my captain charged in on a rider and the battle commenced. We each called a heroic fight. He won the roll off but it didn't matter he won his fight, got the kill and moved on. I won my fight and moved my captain into a nice fight with two models killing both. He won his second fight later on in the turn and after the first round of fighting it was 3-3. Next round erkenbrand called another heroic move which was the last of the might on the board. he charged a lone warrior and moved the rest of his men into position. My captain was not able to reach anyone so he had to just settle on moving closer to his guys. Erkenbrand got his kill however, I realized I was being too succesful against killing his riders so I switched to killing the horses, a fallen rider death later he was broken as the turn ended. A turn which left him in the lead 4-3. At this point im in a good position to go after two of his warriors, however this is when fate interfered. I have never seen a more cowardly army in my life and one after another the fled. Even erkenbrand failed but he used his will to keep him on the board. This is were I made my move for the tie. I decided on surrounding erkenbrand in hopes that I could take him down. The risk was him getting a nasty number of kills giving brent a major; but I would have the chance of killing him right then and possibly going after some poor model that was left and securing the tie!!! The fight went off and I won! However I failed to kill erkenbrand but it didn't matter, next round he failed courage again and brent didn't bother bringing him back. A couple other failed courage rolls left 1 lone defender of rohan who did not hear the call for retreat. So Brent did the smart thing and took off for the hills. Its important to not that his last model was on foot. My plan was easy use the drum to close in on him and flank him with a spearman who failed to get on the table untill brent just said "just put him". So he sat back in my deployment zone and I figured he would never serve and purpose. Well he finally had one!!!!! So one round of running and now comes the next round, he wins priority and takes the important courage check. HE PASSES!!! The chase continues... I expect I need him to pass one more as I use the drum to get my captain in striking range and put troops all around him to prevent him from running should he get priority in the next round. Then comes the unthinkable, instead of moving his model as far away as possible he simply slides him up agasinst a tree?!?!?! He did not realize how close my captain had gotten. So I simply surrounded the model with my captain leading the way. Here it comes the moment of truth, as we are rolling to win the fight I thought about how my captain will have six dice to roll to get a 4 for the kill and the draw. Then I thought how I have missed far easier rolls int he past. I won the fight and did not even give the dice time to think about screwing me. I picked them up dropped them on the table SUCCESS!!!! I pulled out the draw and wiped him out without breaking earning the bonus.

Result Draw w/bonus

At that moment I had no idea how things would pan out. I didn't bother to look at the scores prior to the game so i didn't know if 13 points were enough. However, brent gave me the rundown and notified me that I would indeed be winning best general. It was pretty neat, but I really like the fact that our store now has two best generals from major tournaments myself and nate and two other players who could just as easily take one themselves. I half thought at the awards ceremony of setting up a "cuse is in da house" chant but I didn't think nate and nick knew what it was and I know Jim absolutly hates it. (its an SU basketball thing)

Ok so I didn't proof read this at all. So I apologize in advance for anything that doesnt make sense. Overall I had some enjoyable games and really enjoyed myself. A couple players I wanted to take on I didn't get a chance to but im sure sometime down the road I will.

Peace Profound

Oh one more thing... Traditionally I am the biggest s**t talker in the game. However for this I wanted to do well in sportsmanship so I came on here and set myself up as an overly pragmatic player who wishes nothing but good times and safe rolling. Then at the event I carried it on and threw out a few "good move" and "wow that was some lucky rolling on my part" What did it earn me???? DEAD LAST IN SPORTSMANSHIP!!! Just so you all know, next time the glove is coming off. Don't worry I keep it clean and civil.
General H-Bomb

Postby knitemare » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Last? Really? That doesn't seem right. I didn't play you, as I was helping run the event, but at no point during the weekend did I think to myself, "Man this guy is a D-bag." You actually seemed like a pretty cool guy.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby jlong05 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Yeah, that does seem a bit odd. I also never played you, but last does seem to be a bit harsh. I don't remember anyone saying they disliked really any one specific player.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

I just rechecked the standings and you were not last. There was someone below you. Also keep in mind that there were only 6 points per game with sportsmanship in the singles. So my guess is one perfect and three almost perfect scores. We played you in the last game of the team tournament and I did not have any problems. Bad army and scenario for us but you guys were fun to play against (in fact I was probably more of a crappy opponent than you were). If I was Sorry, I am not usually like that. The whole sportsmanship thing can be hard to figure sometimes. Anyways I hope it doesn't take away from the experience of coming to Acon. I hope we will see you next year.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 am

Nah, it was those damnable Isengarders. :P
Smeagol

Postby General H-Bomb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:I just rechecked the standings and you were not last. There was someone below you. Also keep in mind that there were only 6 points per game with sportsmanship in the singles. So my guess is one perfect and three almost perfect scores. We played you in the last game of the team tournament and I did not have any problems. Bad army and scenario for us but you guys were fun to play against (in fact I was probably more of a crappy opponent than you were). If I was Sorry, I am not usually like that. The whole sportsmanship thing can be hard to figure sometimes. Anyways I hope it doesn't take away from the experience of coming to Acon. I hope we will see you next year.

eh, you weren't bad at all... I actually have zero expectations from others as far as "sportsmanship" so long as it doesnt get personal or physical im fine with it. Roll a six celebrate, roll a 1 let me know how lucky i am that the dice are off, I don't care. I actually remember you guys getting a little testy with each other more than with us.
General H-Bomb

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm

"he looks like he is from upstate ny"

whatever that means hahahaha!

dont know why people think my avatar is scary, its from the upcoming angels and demons movie....

i always shoot myself in the foot usually with army builds and this was no exception, although, it woulda been closer if i got some roll-offs.

no probs with sports here, i gave you the middle thing on army comp and painting but taht was due to the paint part of the phrase and not the comp. part. That was one of my probs with the scoring sheet, no probs with army comps. but when looking at painting as a whole in the tournament, you have to spread some points around.
BostonNazgul

Postby General H-Bomb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:
"he looks like he is from upstate ny"

whatever that means hahahaha!

dont know why people think my avatar is scary, its from the upcoming angels and demons movie....

i always shoot myself in the foot usually with army builds and this was no exception, although, it woulda been closer if i got some roll-offs.

no probs with sports here, i gave you the middle thing on army comp and painting but taht was due to the paint part of the phrase and not the comp. part. That was one of my probs with the scoring sheet, no probs with army comps. but when looking at painting as a whole in the tournament, you have to spread some points around.

It doesn't really mean anything other than you look like someone from upstate ny.

As far as my painting, yep it sucked. Those are some of my earlier models, my painting isn't that great but it has improved a lot since. I just havent gone back (probably wont) to fix my older models.
General H-Bomb

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm

thats reason numero uno that i will never play isengard.

A) i would have to repaint all my existing uruks.
B) once something is painted, i move on, never go back, 1 exception being my high elves who got a new coat.
BostonNazgul

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)