Victory in the Druadan

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Victory in the Druadan

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 am

I had a quick 500 point game last Friday against one of the youngsters that comes to the store. He's one I haven't played before and he wanted to play his Goblins, but only had 500 points available. No big deal, I just broke out the Woses and added in Gandlaf to make up the points and keep my numbers legal. Well this meant I only have 42 models of which two were Ghan-Buri-Ghan and Gandalf while he had 48 models with two cave trolls, Durburz and a shaman on his sde.

We rolled for the scenario and got Domination. I wasn't sure how well I could play domination with the woses yer especially since I only had two heores to work with. I was in for a pleasant surprise. All in all things went my way the entire game. Gandalf cast Blinding Ligtht and Cause Terror on his first two attempts with his Free Will and then kept the Cave Troll on his flank Immobilized or Commanded the entire game until blowpipes could take it down. The Shaman was problematic in that Gandalf wasn't protected by Terror during the game until I got rid of that pesky Shaman. Still Gandalf had more Might than the Shaman and the Woses are deadly as all hell against goblins. I had a higher Fight Value and I am wounding their armoured warriros on 4s when I do win. needless to say it didn't take long before I outnumbered the goblins on my left flank and then it was a quick jump em and trap em fest until I cleared them all out and could go for the fourth objective. On y right I didn't have the advatnage of Gandlaf so I played a whole lot more conservatively. I was also being far more cautious of Durburz than I probably needed to due to some unfortunate bad luck against him in a couple of other games. Of course I was playing Wyn the last couple of times I've faced goblins and while my opponent was technically competant, he lacked Wyn's command of tactics and strategies. I peppered his lines with blowguns while I sent in a small force for the third objective. This prompted my opponent to counter with a much large force accompanied by the Cave Troll. As this terrain feature was a woods I wasn't too worried as my warriors ignored the terrain penalty and disappeared in the trees so shooting them was out of the question. By splitting his flank in half I suddenly found myself in an enviable position of ooutnumbering Durburz who foolishly charged into my lines when he had Priority. This allowed me to counter strike and surround his warriors and Durburz. I had most of his lines trapped and all of them were unfair fights as I had more attacks on each of his warriors than he had in return. He lost most of the fights and goblins started disappearing left and right. Wounding on 4s against trapped models means lots of dead models. The casaulties from this fight coupled with the losses by the Shaman meant I had broken the goblins. At this point I owned to objectives and my opponent owned the other two. I threw everything I had on the right to try and free the woods from the goblins and that troll while Gandalf tried to rally a sortie to the goblin's home objective. Of course I relied on failed courage tests to bleed my oppoent's force faster than I was willing to risk combats in the woods, but the troll proved to be brave and jumped some woses which predictably all went *spalt*. Three very long turns later (for my opponent) the game ended with only three goblins on the table and I was still a couple of inches from the last objective. Result Minor Win for the Woses.

I learned a few valuable things form this fight other than the woses obiously d a better job of defeating goblins than they do dwarves. The woses ability to speed through forests was of course very useful as was my ability to hide from missile fire, but it was the +1 to wound orcs, goblins and uruk-hai that made all the difference. I was worried about closing into close combat against those goblins as they'd be wounding me on 4s and I would need 5s (until I remembered the hatred rule). Plus every model in my force has a spear and a blowpipe. So I have lots of options for support and missile fire at close range.

What I lack is a good hero for Contest of Champions though Gandalf is a decent option, I found it very hard to get Sorecerous Blast off. I failed to cast that spell all three times I tried. I also lack longer range missile fire which is dead useful for dictating my opponent's movements as we close. I also prefer horde style forces and 42 models at 500 points was just average. Still it was a good game and a learning opportunity. i'm not sure I'll do well against the likes of Easterlings or Black Numenoreans, but I will definitely make life miserable for any orcish allies they bring with them. Teh Good on Good matchups are also bad for the Woses when facing high defense armies. Strangely the Wood Elves aren't as scary for the Woses as they are for say my Haradrim. I can match their speed and all of my warriors have the elven cloak ability.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 am

Woohoo for the Woses!

In my experience using the Woses at the Chicago GT, even the +1 to wound didn't help all that much. Of course, most of the gorguns I was facing were Morannon Orcs and their pesky D6. I also thinks it helps to be able to swarm with the Woses. I had 20 of them but they were often times spread out across the lines lending spear support and/or blowpipes to the Rohan front line.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:37 pm

I agree with the swarm assessment. I think that the Woses will work better as a mass of spears and blowpipes far more often then they will work as a support group. Being able to strip support off my opponent's models while double or triple teaming with supported warriors means it's far easier to beat the snot out of them, particularly if they are trapped.

Where the Woses start to have problems is when they are broken. With only one native hero choice they have to rely on their limited ally choices. I have chosen to give an armoured and cloaked (Fellowship) Legolas a try as an ally. This will give me a sniper and a good leader for the force. It also gives me a model that can compete in Contest of Champions and To Kill a King. Ghan-Buri-Ghan may be good for a Woses, but he's not much better than a generic hero in all other respects.

Theme is a hard thing to accomplish with the Woses. Normally I prefer no alliances in my forces, but the Woses are too cheap for that schema. With only one native hero I end up with 80 some odd models if I try to make a pure Woses force for 600 points. Even 500 points runs into some problems with numbers. Now where the Woses start to shine is down at the 350 point range. Without a hero that's 50 models (legal numbers) so with the hero I'm looking at 44 models. That's not a bad number for 350 points. Yes some tougher forces can get up in the mid thirties and my Haradrim can easily hit 50 with a hero, but 44 blowpipe and spear armed, woodland ignoring, elven cloaked pygmies still have some merit. Especially if they hit a force of orcs or goblins which are also decent forces at 350 points.

The Wild men of the Druadan will never be a powerhouse army, but they havebeen enjoyable so far. One fo the UK GT players is planning on using a horde of Woses as his good force this year. I'm interested in seeing how well it does. I understand they can be tedious to paint though.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Smeagol wrote:
. Now where the Woses start to shine is down at the 350 point range. Without a hero that's 50 models (legal numbers) so with the hero I'm looking at 44 models. That's not a bad number for 350 points. Yes some tougher forces can get up in the mid thirties and my Haradrim can easily hit 50 with a hero, but 44 blowpipe and spear armed, woodland ignoring, elven cloaked pygmies still have some merit. Especially if they hit a force of orcs or goblins which are also decent forces at 350 points.

I'm strongly considering the Woses as my 350 pts army at Adepticon. Maybe even a bit more so now after that ringing endorsement. I'd have to paint about 20 Woses to get them ready.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm

LOL. If I can afford to make the trip then we may see two forces of Woses on the field of battle. ;)
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Smeagol wrote:LOL. If I can afford to make the trip then we may see two forces of Woses on the field of battle. ;)

We've been threatening to do this for almost a year and half now.
BrentS

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)