TK's Birthday Bash BR

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

TK's Birthday Bash BR

Postby tjski » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 pm

I posted this on AAZ but thought I would repost here for those that don't go over there.

Well, yesterday was my 40th Birthday & what better way to celebrate than to invite a few friends over for some LotR action. Seeing how next weekend is the 350 LotR event at Talons hideout here in Phoenix, I wanted to put my dwarfs to the test, so Jerry with his corsairs, Mike with Urk-hai and Tom with Gondor were to come over.

Well Mike & Jerry were able to make it over & Tom got hung up with Honey Do’s. First game was against Mike and we rolled up “To the Death”. Since we were playing 350 points we decided to play only for 90Minutes as thats what the tourney will be following for time and I was not looking forward to a high defense, high fight & stronger foes than the dwarfs.

I just finished most of my terrain for my Fangorn Forrest for GitD and was playing on a table that was loaded with a ton of terrain. Just the way I like it and it had a very “forest” feel to it.

Mikes Urk-hai comprised of a Captain, 4 scouts armed with Bow, a few Pike men and the rest Urk-hai with shields. My force was lead by Gimli, 10 Dwarf bowmen, 10 dwarfs with shields & 10 dwarves with 2 handed weapons.

Mike deployed first with one group about 18” from his base line while the rest were within 3” of his baseline, I deployed the same way, one group up while another back. Then we started racing towards each other. High lights were the dwarf bow killed all 4 of his archers in three turns. They ten proceeded to race around some rough ground to come up behind the Urk-hai rear lines. Let me restate that, they slowly advanced around to get to the rear lines by the end of the game. Regardless it was a bloody fight in the middle of the board and we just trade figures for about 90 minutes. In the end we called it a draw with Mike only being a few from break like myself. All in all a good fight and the dwarfs handled the Urk’s pretty well.

Second game was against Jerry & his Corsairs. Jerry outnumbered me by 6 models (he had 37 to my 31), now to preface this battle, I have fought against Jerry two other times in the past month with the same armies, both have been major loss’ for me, so I was not looking forward to this fight & when we rolled up Seize the Prize, my heart sank!

Well the good thing about this game was that I won all priorities phase to get within an inch on the artifact buried behind a wall. But Jerry was able to get there first & dig up the prize & take off with it. So I resolved to try to break his corsairs to hopefully cause him to drop the artifact. The plan almost worked but two of his corsairs were within at least 6 inches of the board edge (or so we thought!). Well in that turn I caused him to break and he started testing, the guy with the artifact passed & moved a quarter inch short of the board edge his partner failed his courage test as well as most of his Crew. Gimli made a mad dash towards the lone Corsair but would not get to him in time. Jerry won the priority roll and chose to roll his courage test on the guy carrying the artifact, this is when time slowed as I watched his dice fall. The first dice that landed on the table & stopped moving to show a 1, the second dice fell and rolled…I was hoping for anything but a 6…and it showed a 6! His corsair then left the board leaving about 6 corsairs to be cut down by the angry dwarfs!

So after about 85 minutes the stinking Corsairs won with a minor victory, while I took a minor loss. All in all a great game & very close. I felt much better than my last two outings with Gimli & the boys. I know wait for Saturday to see ho the Dwarfs from the Lonely Mountain do, I am hopeful, but also realistic in that this is not the best list to handle the upcoming tourney.

All in all I had a great birthday playing games with friends and I am looking forward to next weekend.

Tim K
tjski

Postby Drunken Mick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:20 pm

KM when he reads this will take heart! His corsairs have performed really badly, perhaps you could post your buddies list?

Also, I'm surprised Gimli and the boys didn't fare so well against Uruks. I've had pretty good success but I use a slightly different version that uses Balin and has 5 KG in it. Helps to have that S4 even if only on 5 models.

Have you tried dwarven rangers at 350? They are wicked deadly in this point range, especially... at range. You'd have cut down the corsairs like they were going out of style (ask KM about it).

Dwarf Captain - (thrown or shield up to you)

Ranger longbow x10
Ranger 2h x5
Ranger throwing axes x15

That's just plain nasty ;)
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby tjski » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 pm

Well,

From what I remember of the Corsair list, there was a Bosun leading them with Spear, and the rest were all with Hand Weapon & Shield and the rest were corsairs with spears, total models in 350 = 37. Stinkin throwing weapons on the whole lot!

And yes DM I did think about the Dwarf Ranger list, I just couldn't find another box of rangers locally (Phoenix stores don't carry LotR). Trust me I have my eye on doing a Ranger list, hopefully after Christmas I will have everything I need.

Tim K
tjski

Postby Drunken Mick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Bummer... do you have enough models to proxy and try it out?

Ya throwing weapons are irritating but I guess KM wasn't rolling as well as your opponent was :P
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby tjski » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Drunken Mick wrote:Bummer... do you have enough models to proxy and try it out?

Ya throwing weapons are irritating but I guess KM wasn't rolling as well as your opponent was :P

Oh I do, I know just what it can do, beleive me I know.

And yes Jerry was rolling really well, in fact I think he was using loaded dice, and they are from Vegas to boot!

Tim K
tjski

Postby knitemare » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:50 pm

maybe I need to give corsairs another chance. Maybe just against a different army. Who knows. Glad you had a good birthday!
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)