Battle Report: Meeting Engagement, Easterlings and BN's!

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 pm

A lot depends on how you defend. Against most static defenders you have to close on them to get any chance to win. This means you take a lot of fire while you close, which won't win a game, but it will set you up for a win. If I have a choice I would split the difference and advance to the center of the table and then wail upon my opponent, but Meeting Engagement isn't one of those games that is conducive to that behavior.

What I will start doing is following Gary's lead when looking at terrain placement and of course table side choices. One of his strengths is the ability to place terrain to his advantage regardless of the side of the table he's placed on. The scenario objectives dictates how he prefers to place terrain. Usually I don't care, I can play on any table and in most cases I'm willing to take the challenge of letting him get what he wants. The fact that I can usually keep the game close tells me that if I ratchet up my game a bit to include terrain deployment then Gary should start to lose more games against me than he currently does.

Steve usually places terrain in a similar manner to me, no real thought on how to use it to our advantage, it just goes somewhere interesting and we get on with the game. We'll see how well things go if I pay more attention to the metagame portion of the battles.
Last edited by The Mouth of Sauron on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Terrain placement can make a huge difference as you've said. I've got to work on better placement myself.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby Gartl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm

so I'll just go with what I have and hope someone else knocks Tim out for me

I'll do that for you and then you can face my Wood Elves (or Gondorians or Dwarves) :-)
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Gartl wrote:
so I'll just go with what I have and hope someone else knocks Tim out for me

I'll do that for you and then you can face my Wood Elves (or Gondorians or Dwarves) :-)

THen Steve can beat you and face me at table number 1 in round number 5. :)
BrentS

Postby Gartl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Well if Steve did beat me, it would be the first time he would have beaten a good army I was running in about 35 games ;-)

In all honesty, I expected Steve to get his first win against me at last years LV GT. Fortunately they screwed up the scoring and I didn't have to face him. I guess this will be his year to do it :-)

No as to your being on table 1, how are you going to manage that after losing to me, Tim and Wyn?
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Gartl wrote:No as to your being on table 1, how are you going to manage that after losing to me, Tim and Wyn?

Ducking all three of you and let you beat up each other. :D
BrentS

Postby Drunken Mick » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

BrentS wrote:
Gartl wrote:No as to your being on table 1, how are you going to manage that after losing to me, Tim and Wyn?

It worked for him and Frank at the GD where Jeremy and I were 1st and 2nd repsectively. :twisted:
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby BrentS » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Drunken Mick wrote:

It worked for him and Frank at the GD where Jeremy and I were 1st and 2nd repsectively. :twisted:[/quote]

So before Gary points it out. That is obviously a lot less likely given 5 games vs 3. Inevitably, if Gary, Tim, Steve, Wyn, myself (or anyone) consistently wins or at least avoids losses, we'll eventually face off.
BrentS

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:01 pm

BrentS wrote:So before Gary points it out. That is obviously a lot less likely given 5 games vs 3. Inevitably, if Gary, Tim, Steve, Wyn, myself (or anyone) consistently wins or at least avoids losses, we'll eventually face off.
Not necessarily I managed to dodge Frank in Baltimore. I was very thankful for that. I'll have to win my first couple of games before I'll be bragging enough to call my position in Las Vegas. If L.A. goes well, then we'll talk. I do want to avoid Steve and Gary though. Of all the players in that tournament, they not only know my playing style fairly well, but they know ALL of my painted forces at this point.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby Gartl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:05 am

The fact that I can usually keep the game close tells me that if I ratchet up my game a bit to include terrain deployment then Gary should start to lose more games against me than he currently does.

Well if you can manage to beat me twice in the next four months then you will have improved your record against me. If you are smart you will get those victories in LA and Vegas :-)
Gartl

Previous

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)