Drunken Mick vs. Dave (KM's Dad)

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Drunken Mick vs. Dave (KM's Dad)

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm

I arrived a bit late (sorry Dave) but we did manage to get in two games.

First Game my army was:

Balin
Dwarf Captain - Shield

Dwarven Banner
Dwarf - bow x11
Dwarf - Shield x12
Iron Guard x4
Khazad Guard x5

Models 35
Might 5
Points 500
Bows 11
Thrown 5

VS. Dave

(From memory)

Orc Shaman
Orc Captain - shield, warg

Orc Trackers x12 (I think)
Orc Shields x12
Orc spear x12
Orc (not sure wargear) x1
Warg riders, thrown, shield x9
Giant Spiders x2

Could've sworn it was 46 models but I come up with 50... Anyway this was the basic configuration :) He used the same army on both battles, I switched between games to try another army I'll list below.

Game One - Ill Met By Moonlight.

There was little terrain here but what we had was annoying (impassable, cliffs, rocks). I deployed half my force (Captain, all bowmen, some shields and an IG / KG) right at the 18'' mark and Balin with my remaining troops to the right at 3''. Dave loaded his cavalry to the rear with bowmen to once side (having to climb a hill) and foot troops to his left flank up closer. Pretty much here I backed up and shot the snot out of his troops until they closed on me, which gave me time to bring Balin up with the majority of my troops. Thanks to Tom (he who can't win a die roll be it high or low) my dice were cold to start with. They picked up speed though and I started to wholesale slaughter wargs, spiders orcs you name it. Dave seemed out of sorts after the carnage began and right about the point I was breaking him he was begging to fail courage checks. Not a whole lot in the tactics department here other than the standard keep banner close, HM to slay the warg riders and use the +1 wounding on S3 bows to wreak havoc. End result MjV and a tabling of Daves forces (through death or fleeing - although I'm pretty sure I racked up about 30-35 kills - to 7 deaths on my side).

Game Two: Seize the Prize

My army:

Gimli

Banner
Dwarf Bow x12
Dwarf Shield x12
Iron Guard x6
Khazad Guard x6

Models 38
Points 500
Might 3
Bows 12
Thrown 13

Dave played the same force.

Terrain. The prize was placed and the prize was subsequently surrounded by a difficult terrain / impassable swamp piece (covered one quadrant), a 2'' high fence (extended all but a couple inches on either side) covered another quadrant, a ruined building next too a sloping hill with a 1'' cliff leaving about 2-3'' on another quadrant and finally a big piece of rocky narrow maze of terrain that covered the last quadrant. Basically there was no opening larger than 2-4'' approaching the center. I had to run around the fence and Dave had to go through the maze. I knew right off I was going to have to do my darndest to kill his captain or the warg to slow him down since there was *no* way I was getting to the prize first. I put my bowmen on the left between the difficult terrain and one side of the fence and the remainder of my force in a line that was going to split off and go for the end around and press the center (it was 26 models). I move my bowmen up and dave splits off with a handful of archers on his left flank, the rest on his far right climbing up onto the big rocky terrain. He sent 4 wargs along the far left to intercept me there, sent the rest straight ahead through the center to try and stymie my assault while he hopefully dug up and ran off with the object unhindered. I got some good kills with my archers, most specifically after 3 in the ways with one shot making it through unhorsing his Captain. On the far right Gimli and a handful of dwarves slaughtered his 4 wargs and proceeded on the right side, meanwhile Dave had dug up and was in the process of running off with the prize. Dave use pretty solid tactics by sending his spiders to harass my archers as well as throwing his cavalry at my front line to slow them down while he tried to run off with the prize. My archers cut down 3 or so wargs and after fiddling with the spiders (killing them after 2-3 rounds) they started firing again and moving up. In the middle I was advancing rapidly and my Iron guard really started making a mess of his center line. On the far right and left he was running backwards to try and avoid being broken but it was too late, with a couple rounds left he was only a few models away and I was advancing on him through the bottleneck which slowed his movement (he couldn't get 6'') and on the right side I'd actually passed his main body and was sending Gimli in to kill his Shaman. I managed to kill enough orcs that I had a clear shot to his shaman, I lost priority and called a HM with Gimli, he was now broken but attempted to call a HM with his captain. He won the roll off but failed courage on his captain thus allowing me to charge his shaman and surrounding defenders. End result MjV for the dwarves and a near tabling of Daves Orcs. Dave stepped up his tactics quite a bit in the 2nd game and definitely made it hard for me to win. He was 2-3 turns from exiting his side of the board when I finally got him. I did kind of miss the captain from this force although 6 IG and 6 KG do tear things up with banner support. Fun game.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Those also sound like some fun and exciting games.

Any thoughts on to why Dave didn't hand the prize to a Spider and let his tremendous speed advantage get it off the board faster?
BrentS

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm

He's new and was more worried about my 12 S3 archers (rightly so to a degree). Also, I'd make some tactical suggestions and he doesn't cotton to it very much (ask KM for clarification). So I just kept my yap shut and played the game ;)
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Drunken Mick wrote:He's new and was more worried about my 12 S3 archers (rightly so to a degree). Also, I'd make some tactical suggestions and he doesn't cotton to it very much (ask KM for clarification). So I just kept my yap shut and played the game ;)

I read your report before I read the part about him being new. Some of the best discussions (like these) happen after the games and not during them anyway.
BrentS

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)