Knitemare vs. Charles (2 games)

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Knitemare vs. Charles (2 games)

Postby knitemare » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 am

Game 1

My list
Elladan & Elrohir w/Heavy Armor
4 Dunedain
2 Dunedain w/spear
16 Rangers of Arnor
8 Rangers of Arnor w/spear

Charles List
Shagrat Warleader
Morannon Orc Captain
5 Orc Trackers
7 Orc w/spear
7 Orc w/shield
12 Morannon w/shield
6 Morannon w/spear
6 Morannon w/shield+spear
Orc Banner
(roughly)

Scenario: Sieze the Prize

Synopsis:
I split my force into 3 groups of 10 with the Twins behind the center group. I made the mistake of volleying with every group in the first round (having moved only 3") instead of moving one group up full. In the second round I moved up full with my center group and direct fired with my two side groups. Through direct fire I managed to kill the 2 models in front of his banner and then kill his banner bearer. He hadn't expected it and didn't have anyone in base contact with the banner bearer. He lost it for the game.

In the subsequent rounds I realized my mistake in the first round had cost me the game. He was at the objective before me and moved a few models beyond it. He formed a nice line in front of it and moved Shagrat onto it. Combat began after that. The first round he failed to dig up the artefact. The second round, I still could not get there to contest it. He kept me nicely locked up and I couldn't get around or get a shot on anyone near the prize.

In the second round of control of the artefact he dug it up. It was a solid run off the board after that with me chasing the whole way. The Twins were cutting everyone down that came near them. I was within 6" of Shagrat with no might left and he won priority to get off the board. Shagrat also had one might left and would have been able to use a heroic move to get off the board.

Even though I lost the battle, I only lost 3 GC throughout the whole game. He lost about 20 models. I shot very little and when I did it was terribly ineffective. I don't really care what anyone else says, GC are not slouches in combat. FV4 really helps them a lot and having 6 Dunedain to help win combats or call heroic combats through that single point of might really make a difference.

Game 2

My list
Uruk-hai Captain w/Shield + Heavy Armor
4 Uruk-hai Scouts w/Shield
1 Uruk-hai Warrior w/Banner
13 Uruk-hai Warrior w/Shield
12 Uruk-hai Warrior w/Pike
6 Uruk-hai Warrior w/Crossbow
3 Uruk-hai Berserkers

Charles List
Shagrat Warleader
Morannon Orc Captain
5 Orc Trackers
7 Orc w/spear
7 Orc w/shield
12 Morannon w/shield
6 Morannon w/spear
6 Morannon w/shield+spear
Orc Banner
(roughly)

Scenario: Contest of Champions

Setup: We decided to play the scenario in a town setting and we had 10 buildings setup to simulate a small town. I love this sort of game, playing with nicely crafted buildings makes the game SO much more fun.

Synopsis:
This scenario was designed for Shagrat. I knew that, in order to win, I would have to minimize the amount of models that Shagrat would come in contact with. I managed to do that while getting my crossbows in position to fire on Shagrats group of warriors and banner.

I'm not going to go through the play by play on this one. I lost by 3 models, with Shagrat killing 8 and the Uruk-hai Captain killing 5. My captain died in the second to final round, breaking the tie. Shagrat then killed my last two models (including the banner that survived the whole game).

What really chapped my ass was that models weren't dieing to Shagrat for a long time. I used the terrain to section off Shagrat while engaging the other half of Charles force with nearly my entire force (minus the crossbows, 4 scouts, and 4 uruk-hai warriors). My Uruk-hai warriors weren't getting killed by morannon either, they couldn't win a fight. My Uruks were being killed by crappy, regular orcs. SIXES AHOY!

My plan was to kill as many of his warriors as I could and break him, which I did. We ended up tied in Champion kills for a majority of the game. Once he was broken, Shagrat managed to make EVERY courage test on dice except for one, which he saved by using all of his Will. After that, he didn't fail another test. The Morannon Orc Captain failed his courage test in the second round of being broken.

My crossbows were not terribly effective. I rolled a lot of twos to hit.

--------------------

In the first game, even though I lost, I felt like a winner. Charles had to work really hard to get Shagrat off the board before I could tear through his lines and get to him. I only lost 3 models, FV4 saved me about 20 times.

In the second game, I felt like I was on a teeter-totter. Every time I got a kill with my Champion, he got a kill with his. Every time I killed one of his models, he killed one of mine. That is, until the last 3 rounds. He ended the game with 8 models on the table to my 0. I was 3 models under him to start out. I may change the list to figure out how to get Vrasku in it, or maybe an Uruk-hai Shaman.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 am

Shagrat Warleader is a BEAST!!
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Sounds like fun games.

I wonder if Charles considered using all of Shagrat's Might to dig up the prize on his first turn. He'd probably have a much quicker path to exit the board if he did.

In your second games, it sounds like you did your best to keep fighting away from Shagrat. You were definitely under-maned when it comes to heroes in that one. I know febber would swear by Vrasku in that type of army.
BrentS

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 pm

It would've taken Vrasku to get it done, although the last time I faced Vrasku with Morannon - he was only moderately effective. It wasn't CoC but our non-warleader Shagrat had a *lot* more kills (scenario didn't allow them to stay away - so that matters).

Spear supported Shagrat w/Banner is absolutely disgusting if he wins the fight. I don't think Chuck was charging multiple models often either or they were getting peeled off. IMO in the 2nd game if he wasn't doing heroic combats, shame on him. Once the D6 front uruks were dead it left D5 spear uruks (4+) behind.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)