Tampa RTT

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Tampa RTT

Postby Jack Napier » Sat May 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Well I went with the army I posted in the army list area, and did ok. I tied for second against Frank. Eric won with those hobbits and Gandalf. I'm thinking of an anti Hobbit army for next time. The Shadow Lord with his new rule, and lets say 500 points of goblins, maybe a few trolls, that should do it.

The first game was Meeting Engagement. I had my Gondor guys against Dwarves. I did ok with shooting at the start, but with both our high D values once it got to melee not much happened for awhile. Eventually my bad rolls really started adding up and his Iron Guard started slashing down my Citadel Guards. The game ended as a draw, as we ran out of time.

The second game was Ill met by Moonlight, which with its special rules made my massed S3 bows useless for the most part. They did fair better then my opponents S2 bows from his ranger force. This was Gondor vs Gondor, and once again time ran out before we even got close to finishing. Between us there were 32 GotFC all with shields. At 2 hours I had 19 kills, and he had 16. Another draw.

The final game was CoC. I picked Beregond as my champion. It was vs goblins. His champion was Durbitz. I shot up most of his army fairly quickly, wanting him to flee from the courage rolls. Beregond, who up till now had done ZERO all day, managed to kill a spearman with a shot. Of course he failed to kill even one more goblin in that game. That was ok, because not long after, I surrounded Durbitz with 4 GotFC and 4 CG in support. I killed him and won 1 kill to 0.

All in all there is nothing I really would have changed. My issue with cavalry was engraved in stone even more as Frank's KoMT were shot apart by the Hobbit horde.

Tying for second in my second RTT, and my real first attempt at trying to win was a good start. I went last time with 700 points of Specters, Stalkers, Trackers, and Sauron. I never expected to win that, aside from CoC, but it was a good learning experience.
Jack Napier

Postby febber » Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 am

We had a blast at our bi-monthly RTT at the Coliseum of Comics on Saturday. A nice group of 8 of us gathered for a fun day, one of the best of the always fun tournaments we've ever had.

Participants included John, William, Eric and Alexander Adams, Dave Ward, a new player Elicio Cassini, the store GW manager Shane Bresnaham (as a ringer, but also to play :) ) and yours truly.

Gondor Ecthelion armies were the rage, as Dave, John and I all brought them. John went bonkers and brought one that featured 20 GotFC! Supported by plenty of WOMT with spears, of course.

William brought Isengard, Alexander his dwarves, Elicio a fellowship/Rohan combo, and the ringer had mostly gobbos. Eric finally took my advice and brought Gandalf along with Aragorn and his hobbits.

Shane is still learning the GW system, so we essentially run the tourney ourselves, with John and I typically serving as co-organizers. We rolled off for each of our scenarios, and agreed that we would not use the victory point rules. Since we were playing 600 point armies and 2 hours slots, that resulted in a bucketload of ties, but no one cared anyway, because the gaming and comraderie were fun.

1st round was Meeting Engagement. I played William. He had a 50-figure Isengard army. No crossbows -- this was a shock assault army, pure and simple. 3 captains, 13 shields, 16 orc spears with shield, 16 pikes, and a couple spare orcs. I knew I had to bust up that phalanx, or flank it, or it would steamroll me. I used terrain effectively in set up, then moved my cavalry behind some trees where it could flank William. As I had hoped, William peeled off about 15 troops to block the cavalry. To prevent me from charging, he came through some woods to threaten me, but that was exactly what I wanted. With his army divided, and 15 warriors bogged down in difficult terrain, I pounced on his main army and charged my cavalry over to it. My trap had been laid perfectly, as I now had numerical advantage, but the dice didn't cooperate. I had only been able to knock off 5 warriors through bow-fire, and when I swarmed his flank he started rolling very well. To his credit, he also realized his mistake and corrected it immediately. He pulled a few spears from his phalanx and set up a nice sacrificial picket line, built 2 deep, so Faramir couldn't just steamroll through with a heroic combat. Although under pressure, his orcs fought well, and he won 3 consecutive heroic move rolloffs. Had he lost any of the three, his force would have been slaughtered as Faramir's cavalry would have hit his back line, trapping most of his army.

By this time his other uruks had slogged their way through and were arriving to reinforce his main line. With about 10 minutes left, we agreed to a draw as his sturdy uruks had refused to die (thanks in part to my dice - on one turn alone I had 2 battles with 4 attacks and 1 with 5 in which I failed to roll the 6 I needed to wound him :? ).

Final tally was 15 Isengarders dead, and 8 Gondorians. It was easily the best game William has ever played against me. He had some luck, but his recovery after his early mistake was perfectly played, and he deserved the draw on that alone.

Final Position

Two other games ended in a draw, while Eric's hobbits won against Elicio's Rohan.

The second round was Ill Met by Moonlight. To make it possible in 2 hours we agreed to a 75% victory threshhold rather than kill-them-all.

With the group bunched up we rolled for positions 2-7 and I wound up playing against Elicio. He had Aragorn (mounted), Legolas, 8 Rohirrim, 5 WoR with bow and 5 with throwing spear. Not strictly Legions legal (needed a Rohan hero), but nobody cared, as he's brand new and still building his army.

This scenario was straightforward for me -- with a big numerical advantage, I just needed to kill his rankers while preventing the heroes from crushing me. Legolas's bowfire early on was lethal under the night fire rules, but my archers did ok also and once the armies collided I reduced him to 25% quickly. It was a good thing we had agreed before drawing places that we would play to 75% rather than 100%, as Aragorn was perfectly capable of staying on the board indefinitely against my army. Poor Elicio had the worst dice I've seen in ages. The last time I saw someone roll that many ones was against Gary at the L.A Games Day when it was me rolling them.

Eric won his game against Alexander, whose dwarves made the mistake of charging straight at Eric's hobbits. Normally that may not have been a problem, but with the night fire rules it was a huge mistake.

Interesting rule issue. At these tournaments I serve as the rule judge, and Eric asked if his hobbits got the +1 to wound on their throw stones. My initial reaction was that they did not, as rocks are "throwing weapons" and the rule says you get the bonus for "shooting." However, we looked at the rules and it says that the throw stones "works like a crossbow." Now that is probably intended simply to mean you can't throw and move, unlike throwing weapons, but read as written it also means they act as shooting weapons. So the bonus would be applied. I also ruled that Dave got the bonus for his bolt-thrower -- that's clearly a "shooting weapon" based on past UK GT rulings.

The other two games resulted in ties - even with the night fire rules, Dave and John's tough Gondorian armies weren't capable of being cracked in 2 hours.

Third round was Contest of Champions, and yes I was thrilled to be playing against Eric in that scenario, what with Gandalf providing air defense for his hobbit horde and Aragorn just daring me to come across the field. Eric knew a draw in our game would clinch first place for him so he had no interest in exposing Strider (D5) to my CG longbows. I tried to manuever Faramir in position for a quick hit and run, but Eric's first round of volley had 5 hits in 18 shots - he killed 3 horses including Faramirs. I then had other knights give up their horses for Faramir (we play the optional rule) but three failed their courage check. Eventually I got Faramir mounted with the next to last horse, only to have Eric shoot it out from under me again.

So I decided on a patient battle of archery attrition. Since my longbows wounded hobbits on 4+, we just sat and engaged in a long distance archery gun battle for over an hour, running a great many rounds since we hardly moved. Eric had moved Aragorn all the way to the far corner out of my range, so I concentrated on reducing hobbit archers. I did ok, but since Eric landed odd-numbered hits on his militia, it was slow going. Eric didn't wound any of my warriors, but having caused me to lose all but one horse, his archery had already done their job.

With about half an hour left I began to move my army forward into direct fire range. This subjected me to a withering fire from his 13 remaining archers, and I suffered several casualites - my first of the game. But it also forced Eric to move Aragorn up to counter any action by Faramir as I had planned and so I concentrated bow fire on him. I managed to wound him twice through the blinding light, but he saved both with the benefit of his free might and a base might point.

To keep Faramir from being shot up, I had to place him at the back of a swarm of warriors and Cirion. As I moved up one turn from being able to charge Eric's hobbits with about 5 minutes remaining, Gandalf chuckled an evil laugh and blasted the whole 4-deep stack 3 inches backward. No wounds, but now I was down on the ground and a full two turns from being able to charge a hobbit. And Aragorn was just standing there waiting. So we tied 0-0. It was a deviously clever game plan Eric implemented, he countered every tactic I could come up with, and I congratulated him on a well-deserved draw and championship.

After standing up and dusting himself off, Faramir decides that maybe a draw is not such a bad result after all.

Elsewhere, Elicio's Aragorn outscored Alexander's Legolas 5-3, and Dave managed a win against Shane after 2 ties. John and William tied - again.

Final Standings:

1. Eric Adams -- 2-0-1
2-3. Frank Brown and Dave Ward -- 1-0-2
4-5. John Adams and William Adams -- 0-0-3
6. Shane Bresnahan -- 0-1-2
7. Elicio Cassini -- 1-2-0 (new dice award for worst dice rolling of the day)
8. Alexander Adams -- 0-2-1
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Jack Napier » Sun May 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Not much I can add to what I Frank wrote about the RTT yesterdsay. Just an interesting observation on how he was obviously paying more attention to not only his game but the other as well.
I watched the other games as well, but not on the details of the game, more looking at different paint jobs, and seeing how I could paint mine different. Guess thats the difference between a battle report from an attorney, and a painter.. :wink:
Jack Napier

Postby febber » Sun May 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Jack Napier wrote:Not much I can add to what I Frank wrote about the RTT yesterdsay. Just an interesting observation on how he was obviously paying more attention to not only his game but the other as well.
I watched the other games as well, but not on the details of the game, more looking at different paint jobs, and seeing how I could paint mine different. Guess thats the difference between a battle report from an attorney, and a painter.. :wink:

I spent a lot of time answering rule and scenario questions, even during my games, and so walking around to do that I got to see how the other battles were progressing.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
febber

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 pm

febber wrote:Interesting rule issue. At these tournaments I serve as the rule judge, and Eric asked if his hobbits got the +1 to wound on their throw stones. My initial reaction was that they did not, as rocks are "throwing weapons" and the rule says you get the bonus for "shooting." However, we looked at the rules and it says that the throw stones "works like a crossbow." Now that is probably intended simply to mean you can't throw and move, unlike throwing weapons, but read as written it also means they act as shooting weapons. So the bonus would be applied. I also ruled that Dave got the bonus for his bolt-thrower -- that's clearly a "shooting weapon" based on past UK GT rulings.
Throwing Weapons are indeed shooting attacks. They use all the normal rules to shooting, you will also note that they are in the list of missile weapons. hobbit rocks are a special type of throwing weapon that suffers from a movement penalty that other throwing weapons don't incur. Blowpipes are also shooting weapons. Basically any weapon that is used in the shooting phase should be considered a missile weapon. War Machines are also shooting weapons, which makes catapults particulalry nasty in Ill Met By Moonlight. When they manage to hit something.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Mon May 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Sounds like a very fun event. Those sound like some tough forces you guys play out there. I know Gary is considering putting together a hobbit force, but he hasn't gotten the time to assemble, much less paint them. I'm looking at options to take that force apart since I expect to see that as a top contender in the UK GT.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby BrentS » Tue May 27, 2008 1:15 pm

I just realized I didn't get a chance to comment on the RTT you guys attended. It must be great to have such a strong local group and a shop(s?) interested in hosting so many RTT style events.

Frank, are those Numenorian Warriors I see in your army? What are they proxying for? I'm guessing the Osgiliath veternas perhaps.

Also from the sounds of those last couple of tournaments, it seems like those Adams' boys will be difficult to contend with in future events!! Are any of them making a return trip to Chicago for the GD?
BrentS

Postby febber » Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm

BrentS wrote:I just realized I didn't get a chance to comment on the RTT you guys attended. It must be great to have such a strong local group and a shop(s?) interested in hosting so many RTT style events.

Frank, are those Numenorian Warriors I see in your army? What are they proxying for? I'm guessing the Osgiliath veternas perhaps.

Also from the sounds of those last couple of tournaments, it seems like those Adams' boys will be difficult to contend with in future events!! Are any of them making a return trip to Chicago for the GD?

The Numenorians were indeed OV as I'm still converting the ones I will use for Baltimore. I'm tempted to go with these anyway as they are more distinctive and easier to spot.

The Adams gang may not travel this year - they would have come to Chicago for the GT if it had been in the summer, but a school year event is tougher for them to travel. They were also planning to go to Atlanta GD but that was not held of course. Traveling to Chicago for a Games Day is too expensive for the gang.
febber

Postby BrentS » Tue May 27, 2008 2:33 pm

febber wrote:
The Numenorians were indeed OV as I'm still converting the ones I will use for Baltimore. I'm tempted to go with these anyway as they are more distinctive and easier to spot.

I think I'd still prefer OVs that match army but I agree having the models look distinctive is much easier come game time!

febber wrote:
The Adams gang may not travel this year - they would have come to Chicago for the GT if it had been in the summer, but a school year event is tougher for them to travel. They were also planning to go to Atlanta GD but that was not held of course. Traveling to Chicago for a Games Day is too expensive for the gang.

They could also get caught up in the age Limit too! Its too bad, I would have liked to face Eric again on more even footing.
BrentS

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)