Second Fords of Isen

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Second Fords of Isen

Postby febber » Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 am

From Recon 2008, where Dave Ward and I hosted a big scenario of Second Fords of Isen. About 1950 points of Isengard, 1000 points of Rohan (some as reinforcements)

The battle turned out as a draw, as Isengard failed to get half its army off the board and Rohan failed to kill half of Isengard's army in the alloted time. However, Rohan stood a good chance of winning as Erkenbrand's arrival had stymied Isengard's left wing, and Isengard had suffered 75 of the needed 100 casualties.

Since Rohan was heavily outnumbered, we added a variety of special rules that were consistent with Tolkien's description of the battle. First, since the battle was fought at night, but the orcs were carrying torches, we used night fire rules (see Ill Met By Moonlight) with 12 inch LOS for Isengard but allowed Rohan to fire 24 inches and normal volley. Both sides benefited from the +1 to wound when shooting. Rohan could volley with any archers (regardless of number) that were positioned in the towers. Second, the Forts counted as banners for any troops in them and the Rohan banner on the Island covered all of it. Finally, the troops on the island had prepared works in the book, so that they were counted as defending a barricade (which is consistent with their position on a ledge anyway).

Photos:

The Battlefield

Isengard's Eastern Wing

Elfhelm's Cavalry Faces The Large Eastern Wing

Isengard Approachs the River Defenses

Battle for the Island
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby knitemare » Mon May 12, 2008 11:14 am

Nice pictures. Sounds like a cool battle.

I have a problem with big games these days. I prefer somewhat smaller big games, 4 players per side. Even then the time has to be incredibly long, 6 hours or so, just to be sure the game ends.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Mon May 12, 2008 11:38 am

Looks very cool Frank. I'm curious, how long did you run the event and how many players participated?
BrentS

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Very nice battlefield and I like the scenario rules.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby febber » Mon May 12, 2008 12:24 pm

BrentS wrote:Looks very cool Frank. I'm curious, how long did you run the event and how many players participated?

We had 8 players total, including Dave and myself who helped players with rules and strategy. About half the players were new to the game, while William, Eric and Alexander Adams helped lead their teams also. We split with 2 players commanding Rohan on each side, and 2 commanding Isengard on each side.

We had a 4-hour slot, which would have been enough time, but the session was Saturday night from 8-midnight. Due to the business meeting running long, players didn't have time to get dinner before the round started so we took a 30 minute meal break during the round and then finished about 11:30. We started losing the younger players around 11 as it had been a long day.

Dave and I kept the game moving quickly. One thing we did that really helped was to split the board into two different games early on so that the Isengard West flank, which had further to go and fight, could move at its own faster pace. It worked out well as the West flank had captured the Fords about the time the East flank had pushed the Rohirrim back. When Erkenbrand arrived the two flanks were close enough that Rohan had to worry about both rather than just steamroll one of them.

The night firing rules really helped as casualties came at a much faster pace. In fact, had the 24 Rohirrim not shot so poorly (we played them as per their profile, where all have bows) this could have been a stunning Rohan victory. Eric only had 26 figures (all but one infantry) but he inflicted over 30 casualties on the Isengard heavy infantry force, most with his archers in the towers.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
febber

Postby BrentS » Mon May 12, 2008 2:29 pm

febber wrote: Eric only had 26 figures (all but one infantry) but he inflicted over 30 casualties on the Isengard heavy infantry force, most with his archers in the towers.

Music to my horselord loving ears :)
BrentS

Postby Angelos » Mon May 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Cool report, the table is really nice. All them orc bows look pretty scary. :P
Angelos

Postby Jack Napier » Mon May 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Great write up Frank. We'll have to see about doing something for Hurricon. Of course that's about a month after your wife's due date.
Jack Napier

Postby febber » Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Jack Napier wrote:Great write up Frank. We'll have to see about doing something for Hurricon. Of course that's about a month after your wife's due date.

Didn't mention it (should have) but Dave (Aka Jack) made all the terrain boards including the custom river terrain. Worked and looked fantastic. The 2 X 2 modular boards work really well and are easy to transport. He also made the Rohan towers you see. Several people said we had the best battlefield of all the games in the night session, most of which were historical encounters.

I supplied most of the figures (some will look familiar to those of you who played last year).

Dave, I think John wants to do something this time, so we should concentrate on helping him if he goes through with his plan for Saturday. Or we could host something Friday also.
febber

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Nice Pictures I also enjoyed reading the adapted scenario rules. Well Done
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Drunken Mick » Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:Nice Pictures I also enjoyed reading the adapted scenario rules. Well Done

That you Chris?
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Mon May 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Yes it is.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby knitemare » Tue May 13, 2008 6:56 am

Hey Chris, glad to see you've joined up!
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Drunken Mick » Tue May 13, 2008 7:36 am

Sorry for the derail Frank, welcome aboard Chris!
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby Jack Napier » Wed May 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Sounds good. Maybe we can figure it out on May 24.

Thanks for all the feedback on the terrain guys.

I got some other stuff posted here.

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn116/Davard74/

The LOTR stuff is just early pics of the towers in progress. Mostly it's work stuff.
Jack Napier

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)