Grey Company Vs. Harad: Take and Hold

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Grey Company Vs. Harad: Take and Hold

Postby knitemare » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 am

I got a chance to play Circo in a 500 point LotR game. We rolled Take and Hold out of Legions, which is VERY bad for my army. It's not that I want to volley, but I get very little time to shoot before Engagement. I can't even explain how the models came onto the table except to say that many of my rangers came onto the table in the first turn while half of Circos force was still off the table (including his Hashirim).

I got in two rounds of decent shooting before being fully engaged on one side and halving half my force simply heading for the center (the Take and Hold objective). It was relatively the same for him, half his force was rushing the center and the other half was engaged. We were both losing lots of models and it was a lot of fun.

I got to the objective first with 12 models and he only had 3 in 3". One round later we both hit the break point at the same time. The roll to end the game came up a 5. One more round, I lost 3 models and he got another 4 to the objective. Next end game check came up a 6. The following round was awful. His big hero was near the objective and passed his courage test, Stand Fasting the rest. I, unfortunately, did not fair so well and lost a bunch of models to courage tests. This time the end roll came up a 1. I lost with 5 models near the obective to his 9.

-------------------

Things to note. My GC at 500 points is only 2 more models, Elladan and Elrohir, than my 350 point force. About 3/4 of the way through the game Elladan died and Elrohir went ballistic. Neither of them were very effective in the game and I'm going to have to try the force with them again. I think it would have been a lot different if they had come on the table at the same time.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 am

That scenario is not a good one for shooting. Having the twins come in seperately isn't that good either since as you found out it's easy to pick one off when the other is not nearby and then you have a berserk elf that can be lead off into a corner.

I haven't played this scenario with any of my soft (defense 4-) troops yet, but it seems that nubmers weren't on your side either so my default behavior of swarming the center with everything I can (forfeiting shooting if necessary) wouldn't have helped as it sounds like you were outnumbered.

I like playing the bad scenarios from time to time. It gives me a chance to learn how to minimze the damage and that in turn makes me a better player. Playing a guaranteed loss scenario is tough to do in friendly games and even harder when you're playing in a tournament.
The Mouth of Sauron

Postby knitemare » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:58 pm

The Mouth of Sauron wrote:That scenario is not a good one for shooting. Having the twins come in seperately isn't that good either since as you found out it's easy to pick one off when the other is not nearby and then you have a berserk elf that can be lead off into a corner.

I haven't played this scenario with any of my soft (defense 4-) troops yet, but it seems that nubmers weren't on your side either so my default behavior of swarming the center with everything I can (forfeiting shooting if necessary) wouldn't have helped as it sounds like you were outnumbered.

I like playing the bad scenarios from time to time. It gives me a chance to learn how to minimze the damage and that in turn makes me a better player. Playing a guaranteed loss scenario is tough to do in friendly games and even harder when you're playing in a tournament.

It was a really fun game, but I stated before we even rolled for the scenario that this kind of thing was bad for my army. I was outnumbered, didn't have a lot of time to shoot at the horses of his cav, and barely enough time to run to the center. The thing that KILLED me was having the game go two turns beyond break. If the game would have ended right away I would have had him beat on model count at the objective.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby The Mouth of Sauron » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeah, I've been there and done that more times than I can count. I've lost perfectly good games because they wouldn't end when I needed them to.
The Mouth of Sauron

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)