Escape from Moria

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Escape from Moria

Postby knitemare » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 am

Escape from Moria

12 round limit

This was a shop run event, there were points to be scored but there was nothing to win so the points were really just there to let everyone know who the victor was. The goblin side was meant to be run by a shop employee, but as it was happening the day after it was scheduled, a player from the shop was chosen (2 actually, but C.J. had to leave) to run the goblin side. They changed the point scoring so that the goblin player would score points for each "human" killed by goblins and each "human" killed by the balrog. I put human in quotes because there were 500 points of dwarves on the table.

This time it was Durin and the Khazad played by my previous opponent and Aragorn and the Grey Company with Arathorn. For a 500 point force I should have chosen one or the other, but I didn't have a lot of time to plan and I needed to choose my force quickly. Only the shops goblins, Aragorn, Durin, and the Balrog were fully painted. I don't like playing with unpainted models, but I wanted to do something different in this game.

There were far too many things going on for me to list everything that happened. First, the setup.

Grey Company with Aragorn and Arathorn

Durin, the Khazad, and the Balrog in turn 1

The object was to get off the table. Points were scored for killing goblins, spiders, and the Balrog. Durin and the dwarves went in one direction, Aragorn and the Grey Company went in the other direction. I got lucky. The Balrog was on Durins side of the table as well as the goblin king and the drums. There were shamans scattered throughout but no captains. There were two spiders per side.

I'll talk about Durin first. Durin and the dwarves immediately engaged the Balrog, surrounding it. Other dwarves were scattered around the Balrog, waiting to fill the gaps when any dwarves fell to the Balrog as well as to hold off any goblins that sought to engage the dwarves already in combat. The goblin king and his warriors slowly made their way to the fight.

The combats between Durin and the Balrog went back and forth each round. Priority seemed to end up with the our side or their side depending on who won the Balrog fight, it was very strange. While Durin and the dwarves did damage to the Balrog each round they managed to hit it, in the end only 7 wounds were taken by the Balrog. Durburz fell to a small contingent of dwarves and Durin died in the final turn, never able to get away to break for the edge of the board. In the end, 8 dwarves made it off the table.

Aragorn with armor and bow
Arathorn
5 RotN with spears
12 RoA with spears

Aragorn and the GC: I formed a v shaped line to be able to fire arrows at each of the four groups of goblins that surrounded me. My plan was to see how many I could take out on each side and then use my higher move rate to head for the side of the board that had the fewest goblins. My plan did not work as only 2 or 3 goblins from each group were killed during my shoot phase and two of my own RoA were killed during the goblins shoot phase. I ended up moving toward my right side of the table and driving a wedge between the two goblin forces on that side. All the while I kept shooting with anyone that wasn't in combat at the goblins coming up from behind.

In the end I killed 25 goblins, got Aragorn, Arathorn, 4 RotN and 7 RoA off of the table. It was fun, but not terribly exciting. When asked if I would have changed anything about the scenario I said that there should have been at least one Cave Troll on my side of the board if not 2. If I had been playing any melee based force, such as Minas Tirith or Rohan, I would have waded through the goblins with ease. There was no muscle on my side of the table.

Things I learned:
Balrog is super tough, if I had been fighting it instead of the dwarves I would have lost after 2 rounds.
Goblins are cheaters, even though their bows hit on a 5+ a bunch of lucky die rolls can take out more highly skilled archers. I know it's not cheating, it just makes me angry when I lose RoA to goblins.
Making an 24" escape through a force of even weak warriors is really difficult. Plan to have a larger force in order to fight with more ease or have a smaller force of much more highly skilled and defensive warriors so that you have fewer models that need to escape and can kill your enemy more effectively.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Re: Escape from Moria

Postby BrentS » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 am

knitemare wrote:
Things I learned:

Goblins are cheaters, even though their bows hit on a 5+ a bunch of lucky die rolls can take out more highly skilled archers. I know it's not cheating, it just makes me angry when I lose RoA to goblins.

On top of this, think about Goblins with Volley Fire. Since they only hit on 5+ anyway needing a 6 isn't that much worse. Since goblins are so darn cheap and army can field a ton of these and volley forever!
BrentS

Re: Escape from Moria

Postby knitemare » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:21 am

BrentS wrote:
knitemare wrote:
Things I learned:

On top of this, think about Goblins with Volley Fire. Since they only hit on 5+ anyway needing a 6 isn't that much worse. Since goblins are so darn cheap and army can field a ton of these and volley forever!

Yep, I do it with my own goblin army. Fortunately, for us, the goblin archers throughout the Moria scenario were spread very thin in the groups. For each group of 5 or 6 goblins there were only 2 archers so volley fire was not a concern. I believe I stated above, if the goblin side had been fielded by a more experienced LotR player or WORSE an experienced goblin player, things would have gone a little worse for the good side.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)