Smeagol's Bilbo's Bash Force thoughts (i.e. Don't Hijack!)

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Smeagol's Bilbo's Bash Force thoughts (i.e. Don't Hijack!)

Postby Smeagol » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm

As usual I am thinking of variations of forces I've always wanted to play, but never get to. One of the long time "I wanna play" is the Nine Black Riders. Unfortunately they never seem as good as their hyped up to be once I put them on paper. I will have to put them down against Steve to see if they are even slightly playable. Assuming things go perfectly (which they won't) the maximum they should kill before evaporating is 84ish models. So assuming a maximum return of 25% (still wishful thinking) the best I could hope for is to break a force of 42 models by the time I evaporate. So basically they aren't useable as a force unless they are facing a hero-centric force.

Warband
The Witch-king of Angmar with Horse (M3/W12/F1)

Warband
Ringwraith with Horse (M2/W8/F1)

Warband

Warband

Warband

Warband

Warband

Warband

Warband

Points = 750
Models = 9
Might = 19
Last edited by Smeagol on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Re: Bilbo's Bash Force thoughts

Postby Smeagol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm seriously considering an Angmar force as my evil force. Not a single Might point in the force. I suspect it would have serious problems with the hobbit horde due to courage and numbers, but dice do have an effect on the game.

Angmar wrote:Warband
The Dwimmerlaik
6 Orc Warriors with shield & spear
6 Spectres

Warband
Shade
6 Orc Warriors with shield & spear
6 Spectres

Warband
Barrow-wight
5 Orc Warriors with shield & spear
5 Spectres

Warband
Barrow-wight
11 Orc Trackers

Points = 749
Models = 49
Might = 0

The counter force has to be Arnor due to the nature of the Evil force. Not much I can do about the horde of warriors when I've already taken three expensive heroes that can fit into the list as natives. Yes, Halbarad is not in the timeline, but he's a proxy for the heir as there isn't a hero for the first chieftain of the Dunedain and he fits the role better than a Ranger of the North does..

Arnor wrote:Warband
Arvedui, Last King of Arnor
11 Warriors of Arnor

Warband
Malbeth the Seer
10 Warriors of Arnor

Warband
Captain of Arnor with Shield
10 Warriors of Arnor

Warband
Captain of Arnor with Shield
10 Warriors of Arnor

Warband
Halbarad Dúnadan (Proxy for Ardevui's son - Aranarth)
12 Rangers of Arnor

Points = 749
Models = 58
Might = 11
Smeagol

Re: Smeagol's Bilbo's Bash Force thoughts (i.e. Don't Hijack

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 am

To make the theme police :-P happy I may have to restructure my heroes and and adjust troop clumping, but to be honest adding Might points into the force does not make it friendlier. Quite the opposite. Adding in a Shaman (because I don't want use a crappy captain) just to justify the orcs means that the orcs just became more resilient to wear and tear and they won't run once broken. I already have enough magical synergies in that lineup without taking over the top.

For me warbands isn't just about a hero and his vassels joining into a larger force, though this may be true in some cases, but rather about military organization. So to me they're more like squads and less like clan gatherings.

Theme scoring should be a reward for keeping within the spirit of Middle Earth and the game. Not a penalty to encourage weaker, and often cookie cutter, forces. In my opinion Evil forces have the toughest time in this regard. Of course both of my forces are single list forces so I don't see the thematic problems to begin with.

My Angmar force saw some action a couple of weeks ago and I quickly learned how effective it is against herocentric forces. I'm fairly confident it could take a troop heavy force as well, but the challenges the Angmar force faces against a wide fighting line make it a much more demanding and interesting fight. Elves are my biggest challenge due to their courage and armour.

I did take an army of the dead and fiefdom force out once and pretty much destroyed my opponent, but it required tactical manuevering on my part to avoid a repeat of my first outing with that force.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am

Dwarves of the Blue Mountains
An alternate (Good) force for Be in the event I can't get the Arnor force completed in time.

Backstory:
There are many dangers that surround the peaceful and bucolic lands known as the Shire, though few ever wander into these peaceful lands. Trade flows to and from the Erebor and Dale along the Great East Road. The wilds of Eriador are no less dangerous than times past these evils do not seem to exist for the peaceful shire except in tall tales and cautionary bedtime stories. This has been true for many years because the Shire has many hidden defenders. The greatest of these are the Dunedain, the living descendants of the fallen Kingdom of Arnor, but others also have a hand in the business of protecting the Shire and that pass through its borders.

The Blue Mountains have long been a home in exile for the descendants of another fallen realm, that of Khazad Dum, called Moria in the language of the elves. The dwarves have long suffered and endured many a hardship since their expulsion. The return of Erebor to them has greatly lessened their burdens and brought a semblance of prosperity back to the dwarves across Middle Earth. The Blue Mountain Holdings and mines now trade goods and raw materials through Eriador and the Misty Mountains along the Great East Road to Erebor and Dale. These travel routes and caravans are well protected even if they appear to be ungarrisoned to the untrained eye. While Dunedain and elves keep a wary eye on the wilds for signs of ancient foes, the dwarves of the Blue Mountains maintain a far more practical stance of watching the roads and track ways of Eriador, the Misty Mountains and beyond.

Drall and his sons lead such an expedition. The roads have been becoming more treacherous to travel for the last few years and they have gathered a small force of dwarves to clear the roads of these hazards. Orcs and Goblins have setup ambushes and hazards to harass and raid travelers, trolls have migrated from the north in search of food and the Mirkwood has become a darker place once more. The goal of this expedition is to pacify the roads to Erebor and to keep the dark forces that seek to dominate these travel ways at bay.

Warband
Drall, Son of Andon (Balin, son of Fundin as proxy for the Patriarch of the holding)
12 Iron Guards

Warband
Baen, son of Drall (Dwarf Captain with throwing axes)
12 Dwarf Rangers

Warband
Glom, son of Drall (Dwarf Captain)
4 Dwarf Rangers
8 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

Warband
Loremaster Kofu (Flói Stonehand)
4 Dwarf Rangers
8 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

Point = 750
Models = 52
Might = 8
One of my favourite forces to play and one of my more effective forces for Good. Unlike the larger point version of this force it lacks the plethora of throwing weapons everyone expects from dwarven rangers. The truth is that they weren't that effective even before the changes to shooting in the current rule set. The force normally would consist of just rangers at 600 points, but the additional 150 points for B3 means that I can include the Iron Guard HQ war band and still keep numbers up where I need them to be for such a soft (in terms of defense value) force. The heroes are all time and battle tested. Balin makes for a great leader for the force and Floi provides some much needed trickery to counter other people's trickery, even if only for a short time. Baen and his brother are solid captains having fallen relatively few times and only after inflicting a great deal of misery on my opponents.

The Iron Guard gives the force some punch when I'm forced to face off against some defensive wall of shields and spears. They provide the force with some very maneuverable firepower as well, albeit not very accurate when they have to move. I have had these guys get decimated pretty badly during games, but the damage they inflicted is usually greater than they took. I have a bad habit of relying on them to accomplish tasks more difficult than they can perform without bleeding out. With Balin in their care I haven't lost a leader in a few games.

The rangers aren't anything spectacular, but the new edition of the rules did give them an unexpected and very welcome boost. These warriors sit in a sweet spot for defense where they can use their axes as piercing weapons and 1/3 of the time they will not suffer any ill effects (against Str 3 opponents). They now have an effective armour piercing capability when I need it. Coupled with their accurate bow fire as fire support means that my attack options against tougher defense opponents has improved.

The (evil) enemies that are the most difficult for the rangers would have to be Uruk-hai and Morannon Orcs. The Isengard Uruk-hai have the same FV, higher strength and defense. In order to level the wounding field I have to risk increasing my chances at losing a model. Point for point the Isengard Uruk-hai are more efficient unless they bring crossbows. The Morannon Orcs should lose more fights than they win which helps even things out, but spear support still throws things in their direction and their point cost is lower than my dwarves by a good 33%, which means they can afford to have numbers. It becomes a Quality versus Quantity argument where tactical advantage should rule the day.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Indeed, Dwarf Rangers are quite badly owned by Uruk-Hai!
BaronDeSade

Postby JLeong » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey Smeagol, did The Nine ever go anywhere? I was seriously considering them as my evil BBB force, b/c I don't have a ton of time on my hands to paint both forces, and I've always wanted to see them all out on the table!
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm

JLeong wrote:Hey Smeagol, did The Nine ever go anywhere? I was seriously considering them as my evil BBB force, b/c I don't have a ton of time on my hands to paint both forces, and I've always wanted to see them all out on the table!

No. I stopped playing before I finished painting them. Nine wraiths on horses with no might or fate is 600 points. At 750 points they would have thirty Might, Fate, and/or Will which isn't much. Especially with 21 points going towards Might by default. Nine points pretty much have to go towads Fate to give them a fighting chance against the random arrow or lucky blow.

Not a whole lot left for fighting or spellcasting with just generic wraiths.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)