Misty Mountains

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Misty Mountains

Postby Smeagol » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm

It's Friday and I've got the day off, well other than a double time shift to get some emergency server maintenance done. I haven't gotten either of my newest acquisitions (Dale or Goblin Town) painted yet so I thought I'd drag out one of my older forces that, while not painted it is mostly converted and does still require some validation testing. I've faced off against Groblog once before in the LOME days and his special rule made goblins tough to put a dent into. With the Hobbit rules release everyone can do the enhanced Fury save trick, but he saves Might points since the Goblin Shamans don't have to cast the enhanced version to gain the 5+ Fury save. Druzhag is not much of a Shaman for the goblins, but he is definitely a boost for the spiders, especially when paired with Ashrâk, who provides the Venom Back Spider upgrade. Spider Queens are better in many ways, but having junior spider queens that can squeeze into tighter spaces is a very nice feature. He also provides more Might for the battle line if necessary. Ashrâk is a bog stand Shaman spell wise, but his upgrade to the spiders and that nasty paralyze ability of his is a nice feature. Coupled with his two handed weapon and some supporting attacks (like a spear) I may get lucky enough to see some heroes lying on the ground paralyzed. Of course this requires me to get dangerously close to those same heroes.

Warband 1
=========
Grôblog
10 Moria Goblin Prowlers with Shield
2 Venom-back Spiders

Warband 2
=========
Drûzhag the Beastcaller
10 Moria Goblin Prowlers with Shield
2 Venom-back Spiders

Warband 3
=========
Moria Goblin Shaman
10 Moria Goblin Warriors with Orc bow & Spear
2 Warg Marauders

Warband 4
=========
Ashrâk
10 Moria Goblin Warriors with Orc bow & Spear
2 Warg Marauders

Warband 5
=========
Moria Goblin Captain with Shield
10 Moria Goblin Warriors with Shield & Spear
1 Venom-back Spider

Warband 6
=========
Moria Goblin Captain with Shield
10 Moria Goblin Warriors with Shield & Spear
1 Venom-back Spider

Point = 997
Warbands = 6
Models = 76
Break Point = 38

A fairly strong centerline with lots of firepower available to it if needed. FV3 in the front line is useful for evening out fights against the human opponents. I can feint against everyone else. The spiders can group up in the rear area until needed as either a flank defense against cavalry or a counter strike once the lines are closed. You cannot anchor a line against a terrain piece with these guys in reserve.

The Warg Marauders are initially intended just as a couple of extra bow shots initially, but they are also good models for trying to punch a hole into a line. Their impressive four attacks on the charge against infantry makes them rather formidable opponents. They also cause Terror which is useful in mitigating counter charges (usually). They are also pretty decent anti-cavalry models given their speed and hitting power. Couple each of these with a spider and it should be fairly easy to negate any cavalry threat on my flanks. Especially if Druzhag has boosted any of the spiders into killing machines.

The spear and shield goblins are flank guards, reserves and flankers pretty much in that order. The heroes can be dispatched to support the fighting line if I find myself short on Might.

Not a powerhouse force, but dangerous enough I think. Much better than any of my Rohan forces.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)