Friday Night Bashing

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Friday Night Bashing

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I've sat down and pondered over my Dunlendings yet again in light of the new rules changes and the higher point values Steve and I have been playing. At 100 points I can get numbers, decent fighting ability (though not great) and some spellcasting to counter the big nasties in the Middle Earth playing arena. The primary weapons are axes with a smattering of clubs and swords amongst the Ruffians. I've considered using the whips on the ruffians for their flail ability, but decided against that for now.

FORCES OF EVIL
Isengard
===========
Warband
Thrydan Wolfsbane with Horse
12 Dunlending Warriors with Shield

Warband
Dunlending Chieftain with Shield

Warband
Dunlending Chieftain with Shield

Warband
Orc Captain with Shield
2 Dunlending Warriosr with Shield
10 Ruffian with Bow

Warband
Sharkey and Worm
1 Dunlending Warrior with Banner
10 Ruffian with Bow

Angmar
========
Warband
Barrow-wight
12 Orc Warriors with Spear

Warband
Barrow-wight
12 Orc Warriors with Spear

Points = 1000
Models = 90
Might = 10

The ability to paralyze monsters and heroes plus the Will sapping ability from Sharkey will be useful given the increase increase in monsters and of course heroes. Arcehr is average, but given the changes in archery I don't need to be investing a lot of energy into them. I have enough to boost my break point and to be dangerous when massed, but they are not my primary nor most dangerous portion of this force. The Dunlending warriors will be more dangerous when they can link up with an orc spear warband.

It's the heroes that make this force viable in my opinion. With the double wound potential from Thrydan's strikes, particularly against an paralyzed foe, means that even the likes of the Great Goblin can be brought low by a mortal blade. Of course a wraith could mess up my afternoon, but I'll deal with them when they arrive.
Smeagol

Re: Friday Night Bashing

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:02 pm

This army proved its skill at assassination last night. Axes, especially two-handed ones, are great tools to use against paralyzed or transfixed foes, as there is little to no chance of being harmed by the potential loss of defense. The ability to pierce-strike has greatly upgraded the threat of the Dunlendings.

I, on the other hand, was reminded of why I had typically left my Easterling Archers on the shelf: they are unspectacular shooters and fighters, and are completely supplanted by Khandish Horsemen, who have greater mobility, fighting skill, ability to knock down and ability to pierce-strike. An Easterling archer is a bad match for a Dunlander with a shield. Even so, I did want to try out the ability to have half-archers in my warbands, and now that I have done so, I can leave that idea behind.

My Kataphrakts showed their quality again, which was a surprise, given that cavalry usually needs heroes to get their maximum effectiveness. I have no particular answer to the assassin-wizards save attempting to kill them at long range with arrow fire, but given how poorly my archers were performing, that strategy would have failed anyhow.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 pm

You might have been better off with a generic wraith or perhaps The Mouth of Sauron in place of the Dragon Knight.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Archery was basically useless on both sides. I took three casualties before we closed and he took none. I was forced to engage in a frontal assault due to terrain and at the same time risk being out flanked on my left. So I placed a strong security force on my left to work its way through the terrain and counter attack any flanking force. I sent a single warband around the right hoping they'd draw some of his reinforcements out of position and leave his center weakened.

I was able to delay the frontal assault and to angle the initial approach so I was hitting his anchored left flank with my strongest elements while simultaneously charging in with my flanking unit on the right. My opponent moved his cavalry to destroy my flank attack. On the turn of engagement my opponent had priority and "caught" my infantry just where I wanted him to. I swarmed his Dragon Knight with a here and warriors then immobilized him with Sharkey. A heroic combat using piercing strikes and fivre models went sweeping into his stationary cavalry. Earlier that same turn I had paralyzed his War priest who had injured himself when he fell from his horse. My hero jumped from the dead Dragon Knight and slaughtered the wounded and paralyzed War priest.

The next turn I tried to immobilize the enemy general, but he resisted. So I paralyzed him, he fell off his horse and was injured by the fall. His paralyzed body was hacked to pieces by my chieftain. In two turns I had cut down three of his heroes at no cost to me, other than Might. The flanking force was ultimately destroyed, but the damage was already done.

Thrydan was a monster in combat cutting down everyone he touched, but due to priority issues and congestion he wasn't able to do much more than cut down enemy troops. I managed to link up my left flank with my center attack before my opponent could exploit the hole in my center. I love playing conservative/defensive players. My left was getting chewed up as was my right, but I cut wide holes in his center and started surrounding models. Being able to paralyze heroes made my work a whole lot easier. By end game I had only lost a little over a quarter of my models. My opponent was well below twenty five percent of his starting force.

I was concerned about his cavalry, but my forces strength of four coupled with piercing strikes, spears and shields made the Dunlendings more viable than I had expected. Of course it was just Easterlings I was facing which is not a hard matchup for a Dunk ending horde.

Ruffians only contributions to the battle was numbers and late in the game helping to close holes in my lines and trap models. I didn't lose a single ruffian. Only a half dozen orcs fell and only one hero. The majority of my casualties were the Dunlending Warriors.

I'm not used to Dunlendings being dangerous. We'll see how well they do in future engagements.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 am

I would argue that Easterlings are a perfectly capable army with no particular weaknesses and several strengths, many of which we have not yet explored (with the new rules.)

For example, you pointed out that the rule regarding "no spear support for 2H weapons" had been removed, but I hadn't taken advantage of it, yet. Consider this, then:

Warband, five models wide

First Rank, Khandish Chieftain, 4 Khandish Warriors
Second and Third Rank, 8 Easterling Pikemen

This formation allows (most of) the front rank to attack with three dice at the Fight score of the Khandish Warrior, who makes a two-handed piercing attack. Odds of winning are much better than if an Easterling Warrior were in front, and odds of causing a kill are hugely increased. Odds of the front rank dying are increased as well, but if a Khandish Warrior falls, a pikeman steps forward to take his place and use the Shielding rule, while the pikeman in the third rank side-steps to support a different Khandish Warrior.

I would happily take a warband like that up against a warband's-worth of Orc-backed Dunlendings.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 pm

True. The weakness of that theory is the defense of four for the
Khandish Warrior. Those using Piercing Strike will be wounded on 4s and 3s by default. Of course against the Dunlendings I suppose this isn't an issue since you are already wounded on fours.

I can see the merits in matchups against the Dunlendings.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)