Fun Mordor with Beast

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Fun Mordor with Beast

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello All,

I broke down and bought that highly expensive model, the Great Beast of Gorgoroth, yesterday, and of course, I just had to build an army around it. This one is just for fun, as it includes a bunch of my favorite stuff in it; I'm sure it could be fine-tuned.

Da Breaker Boys

Orc Drummer
11 Orcs with two-handed weapons
Great Beast of Gorgoroth

Three cheers for the super-heavy cavalry! The drummer allows the whole squad to move with the beast. The beast acts as a living mantlet which the Orcs advance behind. Once the beast smashes into the enemy lines, the Orcs with two handers gang up on enemies trying to flank the beast.

Da Blaster Boys

Khardush the Fire-Caller
12 Orcs with hand weapons and shields

Cannon-fodder, both for me and my opponent

Da Basher Boys

Black Guard Captain
6 Black Guard
6 Orcs with Spears

Once the enemy is engaged with the beast, the Basher Boys will attack a flank and bash whatever is in front of them

Da Beater Boy

Orc Taskmaster

Free Might points. Good fun.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Re: Fun Mordor with Beast

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Well sitting back and shooting at you isn't likely to work. We will need more terrain on game nights to balance out that menagerie. Or I can bring Kushir's heavy cavalry. :-)
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Haha, beware the Beast!

Go ahead and charge in with your heavy cav. Make sure you can pass the required Courage test, first. Then, when you kill the Beast, it will fall and squish everyone within 2". I'll laugh as Orcs go squish as long as I squish enough of your heavy cav at the same time. 2" around that large oval base is a big area...

That's what makes me think the Beast is so crazy: it's fast, it's tough, it shoots, it tramples infantry, and even if you do manage to kill it, it hurts you one last time. :P That's why you need a Knight of the White Tower to kill it like in the magazine: then, it will only squish the one model when it dies.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

God wrote:...they also worshiped the beast and asked, "Who is like the beast? Who can make war against him?"
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

One word. Mumak. I win. :-)
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Perhaps, but I don't have to worry about the Beast going berserk and trampling my own troops, either. :P
BaronDeSade

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Having played a game with the Great Beast now, I think that I would be better off with a hero who can give the Great Beast heroic movements and combats rather than a drummer. Since I can usually choose to deploy the Great Beast in a forward position, it usually isn't going to need to travel too far to hit the enemy, and M8 is not that much greater than M6 over the course of a turn or two. Also, for the scenario, "Hold Ground," where the Beast might be out of position, it would be better to have a hero with Might points so that the Beast doesn't sit out the game on the sidelines. Fortunately for me, Gary had a metal Grishnakh blister so that gives me a cheapish hero who has three Might to aid the Great Beast. For the rest of Grishnakh's lads, I'll deploy basic Orcs with spears and shields, since the Great Beast is doing most of the fighting anyhow, and the Orcs are mostly there to keep it from being surrounded and trapped.

There's definitely some good synergy going on if Grishnakh and the Great Beast can have a heroic combat together: Grishnakh provides higher F and Might points, and the Great Beast provides multiple attacks and strengths.

Here's a question: if the Great Beast wins as part of a Heroic Fight, can it then trample more people before it fights again?

Here's another question: there are certain heroes that really work best in conjunction with other heroes, like drummers, taskmasters or minor spellcasters. Since we can't guarantee that they will be close to other heroes, are they worth taking? To me, a drummer hero would be most useful in "Hold Ground," because he would move his troops the most quickly, but then it's more important to have a hero with Might, so he can make sure that the unit enters the battle ASAP. So, I am thinking that those armies who have drummers who aren't heroes are better off, such as the Eastern Kingdoms and Mordor.

Has anyone noticed that allying in a Mordor group with a Drummer Troll would give a big speed boost to the heavy infantry of Isengard?

Interesting times.

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:57 pm

BaronDeSade wrote:Here's a question: if the Great Beast wins as part of a Heroic Fight, can it then trample more people before it fights again?

Given the way the special rule is written the answer would be Yes. Of course the way the special rules for camel riders and mumakil are written they too can pull off this trick. I've submitted this and the related questions to TLA as part of their FAQ compilation effort.

BaronDeSade wrote:Here's another question: there are certain heroes that really work best in conjunction with other heroes, like drummers, taskmasters or minor spellcasters. Since we can't guarantee that they will be close to other heroes, are they worth taking? To me, a drummer hero would be most useful in "Hold Ground," because he would move his troops the most quickly, but then it's more important to have a hero with Might, so he can make sure that the unit enters the battle ASAP. So, I am thinking that those armies who have drummers who aren't heroes are better off, such as the Eastern Kingdoms and Mordor.
Each has its use. Drummers have a large diameter effect so it's rare for them not to be able to affect allies. More often than not they are too close rather than too far. Taskmasters also affect themselves which can potentially give you a hero with unlimited Might. Minor spellcasters are there to give your force a magical boost. If you don't think you need that boost, then don't bring them.

BaronDeSade wrote:Has anyone noticed that allying in a Mordor group with a Drummer Troll would give a big speed boost to the heavy infantry of Isengard?
Yes but you are spending at least 165 points to field one. 160 if you go with a naked orcs captain or drummer. It's hardly a game winning combination.
Last edited by Smeagol on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I like how you call my strat a "trick." :P Given the base sizes involved, I don't know that Grishnakh will be able to assist him very often. Using this "trick," though, is something to look forward to.

When it comes to the Easterling War Priest, I am going to have to say that he is best when he is supporting other heroes, rather than operating on his own. Fury is most valuable when it can be affected by Might, and Blade Fury is most useful when supporting a hero with multiple attacks. I feel like having him lead a squad of his own is a waste, though.

Huh, I must have written "gamewinning strategy" when I meant to write, "interesting," by accident. :P I definitely think it is interesting how Isengard now has a choice that they didn't have before, and I think that choice could be useful to an army that is mainly heavy infantry, but then, it's not gamewinning, so not really worth discussing, I guess. :P

Cheers,

BdS

EDIT: You know, I was saying "Pshaw!" to your point about "unlimited Might" on the Orc Taskmaster, but now that I think about it, in most of the scenarios, I can place my army how I want, and it would be really useful to have the Taskmaster near Grishnakh for potentially unlimited Great Beast Heroic Tramplings. Good idea, Tim! :D
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Tricks, gimmicks, feints, misdirection and propaganda are all part of tactics. Don't get hung up on the language.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)