Isengard scouts now viable

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Isengard scouts now viable

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am

Ugluk
6 Uruk-hai Scouts with shield
6 Orcs with spear

Uruk-hai captain with shield
6 Uruk-hai Scouts with shield
6 Orcs with spear

Uruk-hai Captain with orcs bow
12 Uruk-hai Scouts with orc bow

Orcs Captain with shield
4 Uruk-hai with shield
4 Orcs with spear
4 Uruk-hai with orc bow

Points = 599
Models = 52
Might = 9

Not as big as my Legions version, but not much smaller. About ten models, but of course this version has more heroes.
Smeagol

Re: Isengard scouts now viable

Postby jlong05 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

What about converting the last warband to all orcs(so your theming doesnt have Uruks being led by an Orc) and then use the points saved to upgrade your uruk leaders to Mauhur and Vrasku and then all the scouts to Marauders. Then you gain a little extra Might, Mauhur has an extra Attack and finally a half of your force would have 8" movement.
Last edited by jlong05 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

I'm considering changing out the orcs captain for an allied orc drummer and upgrading the uruks with Mauhur which will make the entire force faster. It's nice when the orcs can keep up with the uruks. Since the orcs don't need to charge I don't sacrifice speed just to be aggressive. I haven't crunched numbers to see what I need to change.
Last edited by Smeagol on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby jlong05 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 am

I hadn't considered the allied Orc drummer. That could work well for the force. You get a fast on foot force and you dont gimp yourself wit hthe drummer since those troops wont be charging anyway. NIce idea!
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

Ugluk
6 Uruk-hai Marauders with shield
6 Orcs with spear

Mauhur
6 Uruk-hai Marauders with shield
6 Orcs with spear

1 Uruk-hai Captain with orcs bow
12 Uruk-hai Marauders with orcs bow

Allied Mordor Orcs Drummer
12 Orcs with spear

Points = 599
Models = 52
Might = 7

I'm not sure this force is any better than the first one, but it is much faster. The slowest models in the force are Ugluk and the archer captain. I can put spears behind every Uruk and even if dispersed the force should be able to consolidate faster than most of the forces I'll be facing. I have fewer bows, but not by much. I'll have to throw them into the fray to see how viable they actually are or are not.

Personal note: I dislike Vrasku so I try not to use him. As a scout he should have an orcs bow not a crossbow. Of course there is little distinction between scouts and the regulars so the point is moot now. I guess if choose to revive my mainstream Isengard force he'll lead the crossbows.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 am

SO the captian doesn't benefit from Mauhurs rule? Is it because he is not a scout or because he is a capt?
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 am

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:SO the captian doesn't benefit from Mauhurs rule? Is it because he is not a scout or because he is a capt?

Both. Mauhur's upgrade only affects warriors. So neither Ugluk or the generic captains are affected.

It's a lot like the dwarf captain issue for rangers. There are no upgrades to allow a dwarf captain move with the rangers across rocky ground. Faramir can't keep up with his own rangers if they get upgraded to Rangers of Ithilien. At least the Galadhrim Captains ride Galadhrim steeds.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 am

Ok It's funny cause Jeff and I were just taking about that today, I thought that the leaders would benifit, because to me it just makes sense. But the way you describe it I understand.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby JLeong » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:40 am

That makes a lot of sense to me in the case of Mauhur and Erkenbrand or Grimbold.

It doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense in the case of Faramir (as both WoMT and Rangers can be upgraded to Ithilien troops). They accounted for this in the Galadhrim list, but seemed to have forgotten it in Gondor haha.

Perhaps this is something for the FAQ ?
JLeong

Return to Army Lists (LotR)