revamped mordor force

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

revamped mordor force

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:36 pm

1 Morannon Or captain with shield (leader)
6 Morannon orcs with shield
6 Mordor orcs with spear

1 Morannon Or captain with shield
6 Morannon orcs with shield
6 Mordor orcs with spear

1 Orcs drummer
4 Morannon orcs with shield
4 Mordor orcs with spear
4 Orcs trackers on wargs

1 Orcs shaman on war
12 Orcs trackers on wargs

Models = 52
Points = 600
Might = 5
Basically the same force I played using the LOME rules with an additional hero in the mix. It's got a fair bit of manueverability, some hard hitting elements and two more Might points.
Smeagol

Re: revamped mordor force

Postby JLeong » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 pm

So many wargs! This one has some teeth! It's quite well rounded too. The only vulnerability I can imagine at first glance would be the trackers taking shooting casualties, but seeing as how it has become fairly difficult to get massed Elf archery and those wargs can stick around, I'm not sure that is too much cause for concern.
I'd also keep in mind some of the victory points in "Hold Ground." Generic captains don't have as much fate to burn, but your high defense should keep that in check.

Do you find moving the mounted trackers in a large group more effective? or do they remain behind your infantry for a while?
I can imagine this will be a big boost in Recon.
JLeong

Re: revamped mordor force

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I've had mixed results against elves. Typically I've done fairly well due to them having to decide to deal with the fast moving wall of iron or the short ranged cavalry mounted bows. Given the typically shorter deployment distances in the new scenarios I expect that the trackers will be in range from the start of the game more often than not.

The scenario pretty much determines how aggressive I get with the wargs. Traditionally they have typically trailed behind the infantry or extended my lines on the march due to their speed. In congested terrain they pretty much just get out of the way and usually dismount. The added model count never hurts and wargs move through terrain faster than an orcs will.

I'm still on the fence over the question of two Morranon orcs captains and a mounted shaman or if I should trade out the morrannon for a mounted orcs captain and trade out the shaman for a sixty point combat hero like shagrat or a Black Guard captain. There are pros and cons to any of my hero configurations.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)