The new model Haradrim army AKA Kushir's Raiders redux

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

The new model Haradrim army AKA Kushir's Raiders redux

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:10 am

I've gotten a couple of test games with the new Haradrim forces and overall I'm reasonably happy with them. I haven't tried to build a true Haradrim horde since I have particular models (and thus heroes) I want to include.

1 Haradrim King with bow (Kushir the Black Scorpion)
12 Watchers of Karna

1 Haradrim Chieftain
4 Abrakhaân Merchant Guard
4 Haradrim Warriors with spear
4 Watchers of Karna

1 Haradrim Chieftain
6 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
6 Haradrim Warriors with spear

1 Haradrim Chieftain
6 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
6 Haradrim Warriors with spear

Points = 600
Models = 52

My force isn't much smaller by comparison to its rivals and I find myself with so much Might that I'm willing to throw them away in Heroic Combats. My results have been typical for me (waste of Might points), but since I've got typically twice what I'm used to having it doesn't have much of a negligable effect.

So far I'm liking the new Haradrim.
Last edited by Smeagol on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Re: The new model Haradrim army AKA Kushir's Raiders redux

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 am

Yes, well in the next game, I won't charge right in and attack you in melee. I'll stand off at range and slaughter your D4 infantry, who won't be able to catch my horse archers, while my heavy armor-troops will protect me from your return fire. You will all dieee and Tai-Shan will be revenged on a mountain of Haradrim corpses....

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 am

Uhm..., No. Your archers are all defense 4 and all the in the way rolls will do is reduce the number of times your archers have to die. :P
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:09 pm

It's pretty rare that I get to lecture you on math, but "in the way rolls" (on heavily armored troops, to boot) reduce strikes on my archers by 50%. The fact that my archers are on horses reduces killing strikes against them by another 50% (at least one time, anyhow.) That means that your archery fire against me will be 25% as effective as my shots against you, as far as killing archers go. True, you hit on a 3+, which boosts your archery 16% compared to me. This will reduce my advantage over you from 75% to a 59% advantage. Still very good. If you shield your archers with the fat guys, it's fine with me, as my arrow strikes are 100% more likely to kill them than your arrow strikes are likely to kill my Easterling warriors. You might have enough troops to wear me out in an archery contest, but that's up to the dice to decide.

I also look forward to the first time mounted Amdur knocks down one of those D4 guys. Wounding on a 4+, with double strikes, gives him four chances to wound, rendering a 94% chance of a kill (chance of missing = .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 = .062, 1-.062 = .94) He will be the hot knife to the Abrakhan Guard's butter! Dieeee...

Good luck on Friday!

Bds
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

It's not the odds that matter, but how the dice roll. Watchers of Karna are great shots, good fighters and extremely brave when confronting Terror causing foes. They are no longer defense 3 which is a nice improvement when facing elven bows and throwing weapons. The best part about them is I can leave them unsupported without fear or throw them into the mix with spear support which makes them fairly dangerous.

As a veteran cavalry commander I know how dangerous FV 4 cavalry can be. Amdur isn't that scary as I can afford to lose a few warriors to dethrone him and once on foot he's easier to contain. I've seen your Kataphracts gutted by orc trackers before, I'm sure I'll see them falter in the face of Kushir's brave kinsmen. Besides it will be nice for Kushir to have a viable challenge for a change. Tai Shan is so looking frayed at the edges anymore. :P
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 pm

"It's how the dice roll?" Jeez, you sound like you've been listening to me! :P You're right, of course, but it helps to stack the odds in one's favor, which is why you have all of those Haradrim spearmen.

Yes, my Kataphrakts have been unspectacular in the past. In this army, they have Amdur to improve their fighting powers and a drummer to help them manuever to a better position. We'll see how it goes...

BdS
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)